Leonard's eulogy to David Blue

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Bhasi

Leonard's eulogy to David Blue

Post by Bhasi »

OK, maybe this IS stretching the definition of 'news' a bit (!!!), but I've just discovered that in 1982 Leonard paid tribute to the recently dead singer-songwriter thus:

"David Blue was the peer of any singer in this country, and he knew it, and he coveted their audiences and their power, he claimed them as his rightful due. And when he could not have them, his disappointment became so dazzling, his greed assumed such purity, his appetite such honesty, and he stretched his arms so wide, that we were all able to recognize ourselves, and we fell in love with him. And as we grew older, as something in the public realm corrupted itself into irrelevance, the integrity of his ambition, the integrity of his failure, became for those who knew him, increasingly appealing, and he moved swiftly, with effortless intimacy, into the private life of anyone who recognized him, and our private lives became for him the theaters that no one would book for him, and he sang for us in hotel rooms and kitchens, and he became that poet and that gambler, and he established a defiant style to revive those soiled archetypes."

http://folk.uio.no/alfs/blue.html (It's in the biography section)

All I can say is: W-O-W!

(I seem to remember reading somewhere in the depths of The Files that there's a David Blue song that refers to Leonard, too.)
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard's eulogy to David Blue

Post by lizzytysh »

An amazing eulogy 8) . Thanks for bringing it to the fore, Bhasi. Leonard is able to find the truth in seemingly everything 8) ... he looks beneath it all and finding it there, in its seminal or germinal form, extracts it.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Davido

Post by Davido »

David Blue's 'Troubadour Song' was written about Leonard Cohen:
"I am the poet who sings of love,
I am the man who cries 'never enough',
My bed is broken,
My god forsaken,
I dream of the angels I have cleverly taken."
He also knew Marianne.Blue's 1971 album 'Stories' has the song 'Marianne':
"I knew her from another song her older poet wrote before".
Blue and Bob Dylan were also good friends.Apparently Blue & Dylan once sat in the Black Fat Pussycat coffee house in Greenwich Village.Dylan asked Blue to play various chords whilst Dylan scribbled a song - 'Blowin' In The Wind'!
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dylan asked Blue to play various chords whilst Dylan scribbled a song - 'Blowin' In The Wind'!
I hope this is true because I sure do want to believe it. What a connection!

I would love to hear his "Troubadour Song" and his "Marianne" ~ super lyrics.

Thanks for this interesting info, Davido.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Davido

Post by Davido »

I find the New York City Greenwich Village music scene of the 60s fascinating.
David Blue was something of a Dylan wannabe in the early 60s, but could never match Dylan's songwriting abilities.But he was also an actor and he certainly knew Leonard, too. He was born Stuart David Cohen and his stage appearances included playing the role of Leonard in 'The Leonard Cohen Show' which ran in Montreal in 1980.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

'The Leonard Cohen Show' which ran in Montreal in 1980.
What was the content of that, Davido?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Davido

Post by Davido »

It was a short-lived stageplay based on Leonard's songs:
"David Blue once appeared in a Canadian play which ran in Montreal at the Centaur Theater in the late-70s. The play was based on Leonard Cohen's writings: poetry, novels, songs. As I recall (it's been at least 16-18 years since I saw the play), David Blue did spend most, if not all, of the play sitting in the tree singing Cohen songs and quoting excerpts from other writings while actors played out the scenes on the stage below. It was a fairly interesting production for those of us who were familiar with Cohen's work to that date. However, it pretty much bombed with the Centaur Theater's subscription audience which filled 75 or 80% of the seats. (Thanks to Mike Regenstreif) "
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for the recap, Davido. I wonder how that 75-80% are feeling about it today :wink: . [Not that it was Leonard himself, of course... yet, it's still his work and I have to wonder about their de facto appreciation of his songs and poetry.] I love the playing guitar and singing from up in the tree part.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

The company which produced I Am a Hotel video film in 1983 was named "Blue Memorial Video" by Leonard.
KenKurzweil

Post by KenKurzweil »

Leonard's eulogy to David Blue went on to add a few more things;
"And finally, toward the end of his short and graceful life, he had the grace to recognize the woman to whom he had always been singing, and he courted and married Nesya, and because a woman of talent and beauty does not choose lightly, she made manifest for all to plainly see the qualities of love and generosity that he had forged out of his distress." "In the last few years, something happened to his voice and his guitar, something very deep and sweet entered, his timing became immaculate and we knew that we were listening to one of the finest, one of the few men singing in America and I was happy then and perhaps happier now to say that I told him that."

For Lizzy and those of you who want to hear a little of David Blue (real name Stuard David COHEN) I put up a few songs that you can listen to;

Troubadour - http://www.bestweb.net/~kurzweil/Blue/Troubadour.mp3

Marianne - http://www.bestweb.net/~kurzweil/Blue/marianne.mp3

and his version of Leonard's "Lover, Lover, Lover". - http://www.bestweb.net/~kurzweil/Blue/lover.mp3

Enjoy,
Ken
KenKurzweil

Post by KenKurzweil »

Sorry, I misspelled David Blue's real name - It's Stuart David Cohen.
Ken
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you so much for adding to Leonard's eulogy. Such beautiful, moving words to have said about you.

Thank you, too, Ken, for those links. I'll listen tonite from home.

Welcome to the Forum, too :D ... as I've already done elsewhere :wink: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”