Madeleine Peyroux

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
altinkum

Madeleine Peyroux

Postby altinkum » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:24 pm

While preparing sundays lunch I was listening to Parkinson on radio 2 when I found myself singing along to a song, it suddenly dawned that it was dance me to the end of love sung my madeleine peyroux. I have never heard this version before, very enjoyable. Nice to hear Cohen on the radio in any form, a rare occasion for me . I checked out the covers page and found that her version is listed.
You can hear a very short clip on her web site also Cohen is briefly mentioned on the bio page.
http://www.madeleinepeyroux.com/

Wendy
Red Poppy

Postby Red Poppy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:11 am

Have to say I found her album very disappointing and over hyped - just my opinion but I had heard great things of it.
Fljotsdale

Postby Fljotsdale » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 am

Her voice is nice and warm. But Cohen she ain't.
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
Red Poppy

Postby Red Poppy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:27 am

Absolutely - you've hot the nail on the head - just like a Birmingham City/ Aston Villa (delete as required) striker.
PS For our friends across the Big pond - it's a British/Irish metaphor!!!!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:51 pm

Well, dear... knowing that it's a metaphor is not nearly as helpful as knowing the meaning of it :wink: . [By the way, I know you meant hit, not hot... :) ]

I didn't try singing along [maybe that would have helped], but I've never cared for her cover of it. For me, it felt too gimmicky/contrived in her trying to 'make it her own.'

~ Lizzy
Red Poppy

When a metaphor is an own goal

Postby Red Poppy » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:38 pm

Well Lizzy
I could keep you busy
with tales of soccer (football)
and all
the ardent rivalries between two clubs
close to the hub
of Birmingham. Local
rivals and vocal
with it. If you support Villa
then you won't thrill at
Birmingham City's success
and vice vers-
a. Bit of a rough rhyme
but I'm running out of time.
Hope that
explains somewhat.
Red Poppy
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:41 pm

:lol: Well, Red Poppy, given enough time... it will surely shed some light. [I know it... I just know it :wink: !]

I love your rhyming replies 8) .

~ Lizzy
YankovicGretzky

Postby YankovicGretzky » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Her version of Dance Me To The End of Love is in the new movie, Failure To Launch, now in theatres. It was also in Queer as Folk.

When I first heard this song on the radio the other day, I thought, what, Leonard wrote this song back in the 40s or 50s and someone else sang it before him. I thought it was Ella Fitzgerald or something like that. You have to admit the recording of Peyroux's version of the song does sound like it came from that period in time. It sounded like it belonged in some 40s or 50s Cabaret movie. Did anyone get that feeling?
They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
LittleVoice

Postby LittleVoice » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:00 am

I quite liked that Madeleine Peyroux album and gave it quite a few plays before consigning it to my dusty archives. 8)

I also have all my fingers crossed that Sunderland, Birmingham, Portsmouth or Aston Villa drop out of The Premiership in May! :?

However, it is a forlorn hope I fear, with my team, "West Brom", precariously poised to ruin all their battling efforts in achieving the Great Escape last season and drop out this time around! :shock:
I smile when I'm angry.
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:23 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... tleft.html

Botched execution at the Tower

Madeleine Peyroux struggled to connect with her audience during her gig at the Tower of London, writes Adam Sweeting

You wouldn't accuse Madeleine Peyroux of shirking a challenge. Defying the weight of history, she has chosen to tread in the footsteps of a lineage of female singers that includes Edith Piaf, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone and Patsy Cline, and has earned herself a coterie of worshipful admirers in the process.

On her last album, Careless Love, her shrewd choice of material and supporting musicians conjured an aura of friends-around-the-dinner-table intimacy.

Onstage with her band, perhaps unsettled by being only yards away from the execution block and the Bloody Tower, Peyroux found the going tougher. Police sirens screaming past at regular intervals didn't help much, but Peyroux seemed to be struggling to spark a meaningful connection with her listeners.

Her attempts to break the ice with banter between songs suggested that her management would be wise to keep her away from chat shows and after-dinnner speeches.

At least fans were given a preview of material from her new album, Half the Perfect World, due in September.

She opened with a track from it, Blue Alert, written by Leonard Cohen and his current protégée Anjani Thomas, and performed by Peyroux with a swinging bluesiness reminiscent of Django Reinhardt.

The song Half the Perfect World is another Cohen composition, even if it did briefly threaten to turn into The Girl from Ipanema, while an encore of his Dance Me to the End of Love was greeted by the crowd like the return of a much-loved relative.

Peyroux is a bit of a Dylan fan, too. She rolled out her arrangement of You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go, stretching Dylan's syllables to fit her reshuffled version of the melody, while her new song All I Need is a Little Bit helped itself to the rolling beat and surging Hammond organ of Dylan's It Takes a Lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry.

While comfortable enough with lightly swinging bluesy material (although it's time she expunged the Billie Holidayish throat quaver that has become a persistent tic), Peyroux came unstuck during I'll Look Around, a steamy ballad from the Nina Simone catalogue. Notes were flat where they should only have been flattened, while the near-motionless tempo caused the song's structure to collapse like a deckchair hacksawed by a practical joker.

The suspended disbelief required on these occasions followed suit and crashed to the floor. Peyroux probably won't list this among her all-time greatest gigs.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:42 am

Although I think this reviewer is little dishonest re: Peyroux, I'm glad to hear that Blue Alert's songs have found their way to the jazz world.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:34 am

At least fans were given a preview of material from her new album, Half the Perfect World, due in September.
She opened with a track from it, Blue Alert, written by Leonard Cohen and his current protégée Anjani Thomas, and performed by Peyroux with a swinging bluesiness reminiscent of Django Reinhardt.
Yes, I guess we can add these two to Tchoc's list now :wink: ... even though Anjani's from the jazz world, too :wink: .

Now... maybe I'm being too sensitive about this; however, when I saw the title of the [other] thread, I thought, "What :shock: !?!" This feels a little too 'competitive,' somehow, for my taste. It feels as though Madeleine listened to it and said, "I can do better than that [i.e. Anjani's rendering]!" and not only tries for that, but names her album after the one song, and then loops back to record their album's title song, as well :? . It feels as though Anjani has just begun singing this album publicly, and Madeleine enters stage left to another microphone on the same stage and begins singing 'over' Anjani... a little more "swinging," a little more "bluesy?". Won't know till I actually listen. Instead of [as in death], not waiting for the body to get cold; it feels as if [in life], not waiting for Anjani's touring with it to get warm... trying to steal the limelight or something; seeking comparisons to her own benefit? I don't know if I'm off base with this, as these are just the things I felt when I read the thread's title and then the review. I feel Anjani deserves her own time with this brand new album and these songs, before another person from the jazz realm [or any other for that matter] puts them on record and begins performing them Live... maybe it's truly just flattering, rather than just a bit disrespectful, somehow. I feel this is sacred ground... Leonard's lyrics given to his companion and paramour... an intimate act, one of profound trust ~ that, and their recording them, a fulfilling and healing process for them both. This is my visceral reaction. Peyroux's singing will bring more attention to Leonard and his songs, and that's good... however, I also feel there's plenty of time for that... for now, at least give Anjani time to take her second bow :roll: .

Did Leonard/Anjani need to grant Madeleine permission to record? Will they begin receiving royalties from Madeleine? For all I know, Madeleine and Anjani may be close friends, and this a glad occasion for all three. I speak only for myself.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:09 am

Of course they did. I guess her company simply payed the royalties to Blue Alert Music Inc./Columbia (copyright a sstated on the CD).

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”