John Humphries (Byron) has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Diane1

John Humphries (Byron) has passed away

Post by Diane1 »

John Humphries, forum name 'Byron', passed away early on Thursday after a sudden decline in his health.

John was well-loved here for his wordy, witty writings and 'pomes'. Indeed at one of our gatherings we heard that Leonard himself had noticed Byron's posts and was a follower.

I met John and Margaret many times over the years, at events, concerts, walking weekends, and stayed with them at their home near Chester. John was simply as warm and funny in person as he was in his posts.

RIP old friend. You will be missed. Huge love and commiserations to Margaret and the family.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: John Humphries (Byron) has passed away

Post by jarkko »

IMG_5198.jpg
So sad to hear about John's passing. He and Margaret have been onboard in the LC community for very long, and Eija and I have many fond memories from various happenings during the years.
The photo above was shot at the Hydra 2009 Meetup.
Rest in Peace, John.
Our thoughts are with Margaret and the family.
Love
Eija & Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Anne & I were so sad to learn of John's passing. He was a wonderful human being-warm, gracious and a true gentleman. He and Margaret represented all the best things about the Cohen community.

As an aside about how thoughtful he was, when he found out that Anne & I were going to be traveling through Ireland by car, he loaned us a cell phone (back in the days when cell phones were not so common).

Deep condolences to Margaret and his family. We are keeping you all in our prayers.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sorry to hear of John’s passing really nice bloke he will be missed
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009

Return to “News”