Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
smarx

Re: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by smarx »

Thank you Andrew for the name of the song and the observation of how appropriate it is for the end of the film. Found links on Youtube and will purchase for my collection. Steven
sebmelmoth2003

Re: Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song,” Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

article in the financial times by enuma okoro.

https://www.enumaokoro.com
---------------
I hadn’t been to a proper cinema in years, even in the pre-pandemic “before times”. But the other day I made my way to see the new documentary, Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song.

I love Leonard Cohen as a songwriter. A Canadian born into an Orthodox Jewish family in 1934, he was a novelist and poet before turning to singing and songwriting. His lyrics often pulled on aspects of his faith tradition, while also suggesting a deep and layered understanding of the complexity of life. He sang of love, of faith, of being lost, of searching, of the trials of his people, of sexuality and relationships, and essentially of trying to live through this world in all its tragedy and triumph.

Of all his songs, his most famous is perhaps “Hallelujah”, a track on his seventh album, Various Positions, released in 1984. The album didn’t come out in the US at the time because it was rejected by the then head of Columbia Records. So the song remained obscure, even though Bob Dylan sang it live on occasion, until John Cale recorded a version in 1991. Cale rearranged the song from the 15 verses Cohen shared with him.

The documentary tells of “Hallelujah”’s evolution, highlighting how it moved from obscurity to a sort of informal communal ownership. Countless artists from Jeff Buckley, who immortalised it, to Willie Nelson, Brandi Carlile and even opera singer Andrea Bocelli, have recorded a version of the song, shape-shifting its lyrics and verses to suit their own arrangements.

When technology made it possible, I made a special playlist on my phone that’s just 12 different artists singing a version of it. Fifty-six straight minutes of “Hallelujah”s. Seeing the documentary made me wonder again: what is it about this song that has an endless appeal to audiences, and has moved musicians through the decades to keep it alive and thriving for almost 40 years? And why, even now, does it always feel relevant and timely?

Cohen calls the word ‘rich and abundant’, and says people have been ‘singing it for thousands of years to affirm our little journey’

The word itself, Hallelujah, composed of the two Hebrew words, hallel (praise) and yah (an abbreviated form of Yahweh, God), literally means to praise God. But the lyrics and the tone of the song seem to sway between hymn and dirge, two musical forms that could serve as responses to almost everything that happens in our lives: songs that celebrate and acknowledge the blessings and provisions of our lives, and songs that bemoan our losses, our heartbreaks, and our deaths. In the film, Cohen calls the word “rich and abundant”, and says people have been “singing it for thousands of years to affirm our little journey”.

Of all the various arrangements that have been recorded, and the liberties taken, the opening lines remain the same in every version: “(Now), I’ve heard there was a secret chord/That David played, and it pleased the Lord/But you don’t really care for music do you?/It goes like this . . . /The minor fall, the major lift/The baffled king composing ‘Hallelujah’.”

The story Cohen is alluding to is that of the 10th century BC King David, known in the Hebrew scriptures for both his deep faith to his God and his deep personal failings. Of all the many artistic portrayals of King David, “King David Playing the Harp” (1622), by the Dutch Golden Age painter Gerard van Honthorst, seems to me to depict some visible element of both the ache and the hope I perceive in Cohen’s song.

picture - ‘King David Playing the Harp’ (1622) by Gerard van Honthorst

The image is of a king not necessarily young, but still in his prime. His hands on the harp look strong, as if they’ve known some labour — David was a shepherd and spent a long time in the wilderness on the run from the crazed King Saul before he himself became king. His neck is thick and muscular but there are a few creeping lines on his rosy-cheeked face. The richness of his clothing and his crown show he is secure in his success and is someone of power.

Even without knowing the longer narrative of David’s life written in the Hebrew scriptures, we could still assume that with his age, he is likely to have known both victories and failures, triumphs and grief. David’s life, like most of our own, was filled with light and darkness, an oscillation between our earnest and honest attempts to live with integrity, compassion and generous unselfish love, and our slips or actions that don’t affirm flourishing life and love for ourselves or others.

In the painting, perhaps searching once again for that “secret chord”, David plays what was most likely a lyre, an instrument often associated in ancient times with the gods, as was music itself. David was a gifted musician from his youth, and while he was a shepherd he used the lyre to help calm and appease the troubled King Saul. Now a king himself, David still plays the lyre, symbolic of his natural boyhood gift, his connection and devotion to what he considers holy, and his ability to appease.

The song strikes at the collective human longing for belief in and connection to something or someone beyond ourselves

His gaze is turned upward to the heavens, a look on his face evoking some cross between humility, doubt and hopeful anticipation. His expression is a powerful contrast to his strong stature and to his rich and heavy cloak. Regardless of his power and accomplishments, he is still just a man who can make mistakes, and remains at the mercy of forces beyond him, his God. And yet, despite the dissonance of David’s life, his narrative is still one written and read as composed of an ongoing relationship of love and adoration with the one he knew as God.

Granted, not everyone esteems a relationship to God, to a particular faith, or even to any sense of the spiritual life. And there is no one cadence to the human journey. But the song strikes at the collective human longing for belief in and connection to something or someone beyond ourselves. A relationship (be it with a deity or fellow human) that is unquestionable, trustworthy, reliable and forgiving, despite our missteps.

The opening lines of Cohen’s song are both so haunting and so inviting because they suggest that maybe there is some secret formula out there that can provide a door to that kind of connection, that kind of unconditional acceptance of who we are. It’s also a tender and passionate song about the way in which love, intimacy and connection ebb and flow between people. How we can think we know someone, and believe we ourselves are known, or even that we know ourselves, only for the vagaries of time and life to upend or change that experience. We can surprise even ourselves.

Part of the timelessness of this song is that our lives will always be full of broken hallelujahs, praises interrupted by choice, chance and circumstance. But I also believe that at the end of the day, despite how the journey has been, we too, like Cohen, long and hope to be able to still find enough of the trip worthy of that unending chorus.

enuma.okoro@ft.com; @enumaokoro

FTWeekend Festival, London

Save the date for Saturday September 3 to listen to Enuma Okoro and more than 100 authors, scientists, politicians, chefs, artists and journalists at Kenwood House Gardens, London.

Choose from 10 tents packed with ideas and inspiration and an array of perspectives, featuring everything from debates to tastings, performances and more. Book your pass at ft.com/ftwf

Letter in response to this article:

Here’s Cohen’s ‘Hallelujah’, put in a whole new light / From Dan Searby, Oyster Bay, NY, US
birminghamfan

Post by birminghamfan »

Pleased to say that the Electric Cinema in Birmingham UK is showing the movie from 16 to 18 September. I’ve just bought a ticket for the 16 th , hope to see some other fans there !

Cheers , Steve
B4real

Post by B4real »

MarieM wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:01 am Recently Variety revealed their Oscar Predictions. Drum roll, please... In the Best Documentary Feature, Variety predicts Hallelujah will not only be nominated but will be the likely Oscar winner for 2023.
(https://variety.com/.../2023-oscars-predictions-ranked.../)
Ha! What a difference a year makes - last year's predictions below ;-)

https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 11#p377663
Post by B4real » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:10 am
This film is not considered a front runner but is still in the running and really all that is needed is to be in the race :)

Oscars Predictions: Best Documentary Feature
https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars ... 235072004/

ALSO IN CONTENTION
23 --- Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song --- No U.S. Distribution --- Daniel Geller, Dayna Goldfine

Oscars Predictions: Best Original Score
https://variety.com/feature/2022-oscars ... 235072002/
UNRANKED LISTING
Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song --- No U.S. Distribution --- To be added
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

I was fortunate enough to see this film at the Everyman cinema in my hometown of Altrincham last Thursday evening.

In short, it's a hugely enjoyable documentary which certainly exceeded my somewhat world-weary expectations.

Some marvellous unseen footage and enlightening interviews with the likes of Larry 'Ratso' Sloman, the ever-reliable and entertaining John Lissauer, Dominique Isserman and Sharon Robinson.

Some very moving moments, too. None more so, for me, than when you witness LC say the words "so beautiful" to the Webb Sisters and Sharon Robinson during an extended conclusion to a live performance of Tower Of Song.

Highly recommended.
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

We saw this in a national pre-release preview, on Friday night at the Picturehouse cinema (London central). There were a number of references and comments which will not be new to many on this forum but, nevertheless, a very enjoyable film, with interviews and insights that were new to me. There were also a further 22 songs of Leonard's featured, in some capacity, so not only "Hallelujah" although this is obviously the recurring theme throughout with many covers and versions included. We were also lucky enough to be in the audience after the screening, for a Q&A with the directors Daniel Geller & Dayna Goldfine also joined by Robert Kory, Leonard Cohen’s former long-time manager and current head of the Cohen Family Trust. An interesting and enjoyable discussion which, not only covered the film and the "journey" of the directors in getting it made but went wider in general discussions, mainly fielded by Robert Corey. I would recommend, anyone, tries to take the opportunity to view this in a cinema where it can be best appreciated.

Scott & Helen.
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

What we learned about Leonard Cohen from making a documentary of his life

In their new film, directors Dayna Goldfine and Daniel Geller examine Pop's Poet Laureate through the lens of his greatest song

https://www.nme.com/features/film-inter ... rs-3310112
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Juanjo Enrique

Post by Juanjo Enrique »

Where can we see It in Spain?
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Here is the latest list of showing locations in the UK for the documentary:

PICTUREHOUSE

ASHFORD PICTUREHOUSE

BATH LITTLE THEATRE

BRIGHTON DUKE YORK

BRIXTON RITZY

BROMLEY PICTUREHOUSE

BURY ST EDMUNDS ABBEYGATE CINEMA

CAMBRIDGE PICTUREHOUSE

CHISWICK CINEMA

CROUCH END PICTUREHOUSE

EAST FINCHLEY PHOENIX

FINSBURY PARK PICTUREHOUSE

FULHAM ROAD PICTUREHOUSE

GREENWICH PICTUREHOUSE

HACKNEY PICTUREHOUSE

HENLEY REGAL PICTUREHOUSE

LIVERPOOL FACT

LONDON CENTRAL PICTUREHOUSE

NORWICH CINEMA CITY

NOTTING HILL GATE

OXFORD PHOENIX

SOUTHAMPTON HARBOUR LIGHTS

STRATFORD EAST PICTUREHOUSE

WELWYN G.CITY CAMPUS WEST

WEST NORWOOD PICTUREHOUSE

INDIES

ACTON ACT ONE CINEMA

BARBICAN CENTRE

BARNES OLYMPIC STUDIOS

BARTON RED CARPET CINEMA & CAFE BAR

BIRMINGHAM ELECTRIC

BLOOMSBURY BERTHA DOCHOUSE

BRISTOL WATERSHED

DALSTON RIO

DERBY QUAD

DUNDEE ARTS

EDINBURGH FILM HSE

FINCHLEY ROAD JW3

HAMMERSMITH RIVERSIDE

HEBDEN BRIDGE PICTURE HOUSE

KESWICK ALHAMBRA

NEWCASTLE TYNESIDE CINEMA

NOTTINGHAM BROADWAY

SHEFFIELD SHOWROOM

UCKFIELD PICT.HSE.

IRELAND

BELFAST OMNIPLEX KENNEDY CENTRE

CASTLEBAR MAYO

CORK OMNIPLEX

LIMERICK OMNIPLEX

RATHMINES SWAN CINEMA

SALTHILL OMNIPLEX

SHOWCASE - Screening on 21st of Sept

BLUEWATER S/CASE

BRISTOL SHOWCASE (DE LUX)

COVENTRY S/CASE

DERBY SHOWCASE (DE LUX)

DUDLEY S/CASE

LEEDS S/CASE

LEICESTER SHOWCASE (DE LUX)

NOTTINGHAM S/CASE

PETERBOROUGH S/CASE

READING S/CASE

CURRENT OFF DATE BOOKINGS

ABERDEEN BELMONT

BERKHAMSTEAD REX

CHICHESTER CINEMA AT NEWPARK

GLASGOW FILM THEATRE

LANCASTER DUKES PLAYHOUSE

NEWBURY CORN EXCHANGE

NEWLYN FILMHOUSE

PINEWOOD STUDIOS

POOLE LIGHTHOUSE

PORTSMOUTH NO. 6

SAFFRON WAL. SCREEN

ST. ALBANS ODYSSEY
Attachments
Hallelujah_Review_4x5 small.jpg
Marie
Speaking Cohen
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

It's showing a few times a day this week in The Savoy in Dublin. I saw it today. Was apprehensive because I'm not a fan of most covers of this song . However I really enjoyed it, and was very emotional at times. Oh what I would give to be able to read all the 80 verses, and all the notebook snippets.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

review by brian viner.

scroll down at link to read.

"...The life story of another creative genius is documented by focusing on his most famous composition in Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song.

Cohen died, as coincidentally Bowie did, in 2016. And actually there are other parallels; both men wrote at least as well as they sang, and both had incredibly fertile, restless minds. This excellent film by Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine is much more conventional than Moonage Daydream but, for Cohen fans, it is similarly full of treasures.

I greatly enjoyed the analysis of Hallelujah's lyrics as: 'one part biblical, one part the woman he slept with last night'...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... dream.html
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

ThanksfortheTrouble wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:06 am Blu ray news:

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment will bring to Blu-ray Daniel Geller and Dayna Goldfine's Hallelujah: Leonard Cohen, a Journey, a Song (2021). The release is scheduled to arrive on the market on October 11...

Does anybody have any info regarding the release of this film on Blu-ray (or DVD) in Canada? I cannot find it listed (for pre-order, of course) on any Canadian retailer sites (amazon.ca, etc.), but it is listed on USA and European amazon sites, amongst many other non-Canadian retailers. Odd.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

HALLELUJAH: Leonard Cohen, A Journey, A Song can be purchased beginning next Tuesday, October 11.
Available on Digital, Blu-ray, and DVD- Pre-Order Now: https://www.sonypictures.com/movies/hallelujah
Attachments
Fefl9jfVUAAwYgR.jpg
Marie
Speaking Cohen
pim

Post by pim »

Saw (bought) the movie tonight on Prime Video. Beautiful!
18-04-1988 | Concert, Muziektheater (Stopera), Amsterdam
12-07-2008 | Concert, Westerpark, Amsterdam
03-11-2008 | Concert, Ahoy, Rotterdam
21-08-2012 | Concert, Olypisch Stadion, Amsterdam
18-09-2013 | Concert, Ahoy, Rotterdam
05-08-2022 | LC-event, MIRY Concertzaal, Gent
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

HALLELUJAH: Les Mots de Leonard Cohen

The Hallelujah documentary is opening in France today. The film is being distributed by the Paris-based distributors, The Jokers. You can check out the listing of show times and places here: https://bit.ly/Hallelujah_seances
Attachments
Sortie-Hallelujahsmall.jpg
Carrée-Hallelujah_Sortie_Sallessmall.jpg
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “News”