never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
AlanM

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by AlanM »

Hi Geoffrey,
I'm sorry to read that you are not well. I hope you are back to 100% very soon.
In the meantime, I'm inclined to agree with Dr Lisa.
Best wishes,

Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey, I also want to add my get well wishes to you.
You may remember this image from a previous time - seems it worked for you then so it should do the same now ;-)
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 16#p377816

Bird Off The Wire Get-Well-Card.jpg
Bird off the wire

EDIT: And congratulations to you are in order here - https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 60#p381460
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hi there guys! missed me? i been lying on my back studying the ceiling for a week - damn flu! took two covid tests, both negative. went outside these four walls yesterday, pure joy!
have a good sunny sunday, and thanks for the messages. made me think that you people are quite nice after all ;)
255.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:10 pm [posted a new sketch with groan-inducing captions]
:roll:

Perhaps you are delusional as a result of your illness: fevers can cause hallucinations and other lapses from reality.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>posted a new sketch with groan-inducing captions
>
>Perhaps you are delusional as a result of your illness: fevers can cause hallucinations and other lapses from reality.

well, the definition of reality is something existentialists and philosophers have struggled with for a long time.
you'll be glad to know my fever is gone, and the last time i hallucinated was back in the UK when experimenting with sellotaped strips of acid microdots.

in many cases i sketch local folk who are unknown to me. i enjoy drawing them, and the pictures become part of a catalogue of images reflecting everyday life. their identities are unimportant; they become sort of fictional figures in a book. sometimes i do caption them, but words they speak are their own, much like characters in a story.

negative comments (such as 'groan-inducing') regarding my work are received with open arms. perhaps to a sensitive person one should be careful, but to someone with plenty of self-confidence criticism is valuable, and i think you know this. thank you, lisa - for everything you write :)
https://hbr.org/2011/04/why-does-criticism-seem-more-e
murphybridget837

Post by murphybridget837 »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:26 am elvis tries his hand at painting :)
you might find that you can be your own hero even if you feel broken inside.jpg
happy weekend to one & all :)
if you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.jpg
young band who walked on stage a couple of weeks ago. you will all hate this, but not me! :)
https://youtu.be/VMcxCnQ_ylE
outstanding violin virtuoso at ålesund's kulturhuset yesterday evening :)
if it bleeds, we can kill it.jpg
Nice, what are your mediums?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:33 am ...the definition of reality is something existentialists and philosophers have struggled with for a long time...

negative comments (such as 'groan-inducing') regarding my work are received with open arms...
Oh come on, Geoffrey, you are deliberately misconstruing what I wrote! I was not criticising your "work", nor was I making contentious claims about the nature of reality, both of which should have been extremely obvious! I was merely commenting, quite justifiably, on the absurdity of your captions (which I made very clear)! Surely the "rolling eyes" emoji is not that ambiguous! "Any woman would love you", seriously? You are admonishing me for groaning about that?! Give us a break, Lothario. :roll:
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

murphybridget837 asked:
>Nice, what are your mediums?

thanks. i use anything. favourite is ordinary pencil (2B - 8B). sometimes a ballpoint pen, charcoal, various coloured pencils or computer art - the list is endless. have used acrylic, oil, gouache and watercolours (aquarelle), but they are more involved and i get quickly bored.
it was so good of you to take an interest :)
-----------------------------------------------------
LisaLCFan wrote (edited for brevity):
>I was not criticising your "work" . . . I was merely commenting . . . on the absurdity of your captions!

the captions are part of the "work", and absurdity in art (or a sketch) can be something to aspire to. rules have no important place either in art or one's attempts at creativity.

>"Any woman would love you", seriously? You are admonishing me for groaning about that?!

when making pictures i seldom include anything serious, and i do not remember having admonished you. on the contrary, your message was well received and appreciated.

by the way, i see myself neither as casanova or lothario ;)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:22 am [some words]
None of what you have written changes the fact that the captions in your last sketch were groan-inducing! It was a bit creepy.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>None of what you have written changes the fact that the captions in your last sketch were groan-inducing!

surely that is an opinion, not a fact?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:54 am LisaLCFan wrote:
>None of what you have written changes the fact that the captions in your last sketch were groan-inducing!

surely that is an opinion, not a fact?
No, it's a fact: facts are supporrted by evidence, your captions made me groan, my groaning upon reading them is evidence that the captions induce groans, therefore, it is a fact.

Here's another fact: I don't want to play this incredibly annoying, argumentative game anymore. See ya later!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>No, it's a fact: facts are supporrted by evidence, your captions made me groan, my groaning upon reading them is evidence that the captions induce groans, therefore, it is a fact.
>
>Here's another fact: I don't want to play this incredibly annoying, argumentative game anymore. See ya later!

try to calm down. no one has been arguing with you.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 am ...no one has been arguing with you.
You may wish to check the definition of an argument: you have argued about virtually everything I have written since my post of yesterday.

Good night!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>You may wish to check the definition of an argument: you have argued about virtually everything I have written since my post of yesterday.
---------------
all right.
103.jpg
i cannot see any 'heat' or 'anger' in my responses to you. are you sure about this?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:48 am LisaLCFan wrote:
>You may wish to check the definition of an argument: you have argued about virtually everything I have written since my post of yesterday.
---------------
all right.
103.jpg
i cannot see any 'heat' or 'anger' in my responses to you. are you sure about this?
Oh, Geoffrey, you just won't give up, will you? That is but one definition (which you know very well since you looked it up) -- heat and anger are not always involved. Irritation and annoyance, however, are often present! :D

Every response you have given me (including this one) makes a contrary point to what I have written, you have challenged everything that I have said (suggesting in some way that I am not correct), and that is a form of arguing -- you are being argumentative. You have done this to me before -- this is not the first time I have endured one of these honestly rather insufferable exchanges with you, and so I assume that you cannot resist provoking me every now and then. As long as you're having fun! I'm in a good mood today, and so I will not storm off in righteous indignation this time. ;-)

Anyway, I have many things to do (it's early morning here) so I'm off! Have a good day, everyone, and cheers!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”