never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
its4inthemorning

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by its4inthemorning »

Geoffrey wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:41 pm it's saturday now, the weekend is here. time to forget about ukraine, corona, climate and all the other depressing things they keep bombarding us with. time to get up on your feet and start enjoying going to the shops, meeting people and feel the stimulation and inspiration flooding your veins. there will always be another day tomorrow, full of all the brightness and joy we carry into it. never let anyone grind you down - nil desperandum! i got to run while i still got the time, the work is all done and there's mountains to climb :)
usually, that's the way it goes, but every once in awhile it goes the other way too.jpg
To continue with two-word responses, I say:

Excellent advice!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for responding!

i am having to stop posting images for a short while, but hope to stay in touch somehow or other.
circumstances should return to normal in a week or so.

this place is boring when i'm not around, i fully understand that - but i am not going to be gone for long. you can read a book or two, or binge watch a television series, for example. personally i like 'westworld' quite a lot. i didn't care too much for 'preacher', 'breaking bad', killing eve' or 'the sopranos' - but everyone says they were good. the first three seasons of 'fargo' were great, i also enjoyed 'the americans' because of all the disguises they wore. anyway, you could also go out for a long walk every day, get some of that fat off, there's lots of things you can get up to if you just use your imagination. go out and meet people, visit friends, attend a concert or museum - you don't need to sit around moping until i get back. near the back of your local paper you can find announcements of events that are happening in your area, meetings and lectures - there is a whole universe out there just waiting to be explored. give it a try, you know it makes sense :)

bye for now :)
its4inthemorning

G,

Despite your fine suggestions for ways to keep occupied, you know that I will still be in deep despair and just mope around until your return.

Re "The Sopranos," I feel that it is the all-time best dramatic series ever made, the writing, production values, and most especially, the casting, were all superb. I had a special draw to the series, because it mostly took place in and near the New Jersey town that I grew up in and at the same time I was growing up (to the extent I have, in fact, grown up). In fact, just a month ago I returned there to have lunch with two siblings, and the place that we dined was where the enigmatic final scene of the final episode was filmed (the wait staff all wore Sopranos tee shirts).

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

its4inthemorning wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:47 pm G,

Despite your fine suggestions for ways to keep occupied, you know that I will still be in deep despair and just mope around until your return.

Re "The Sopranos," I feel that it is the all-time best dramatic series ever made, the writing, production values, and most especially, the casting, were all superb. I had a special draw to the series, because it mostly took place in and near the New Jersey town that I grew up in and at the same time I was growing up (to the extent I have, in fact, grown up). In fact, just a month ago I returned there to have lunch with two siblings, and the place that we dined was where the enigmatic final scene of the final episode was filmed (the wait staff all wore Sopranos tee shirts).

'the sopranos' - yes, i can go along with that, with what you wrote. i did start watching it, and my daughter (the police lady one, not the one who is traveling all the time) actually bought a box-set of DVDs containing every episode. i liked it that james gandolfini was seeing a psychologist, but watching an entire series is a time consuming commitment, and at the time i wasn't prepared to do that. i have bought box-sets before, 'twin peaks', 'columbo', movies of jacques tati, jim jarmusch, etc., so i am not fanatical - just prefer a spontaneous movie when needing to relax. gandolfini's little scene in the hotel with alabama in 'true romance' is something i can watch over and over again.

currently i am tidying up my apartment, washing, dusting and hoovering - ready for my sister who is arriving late tuesday night. i don't know how long she's staying, i didn't think it was polite to ask - but i hope she stays for as long as possible. she likes shoe shops best, and loves drinking wine. i had two sisters but one died, the half sister. i grew up with a traveling family, and although we moved around a lot it was mostly in gloucestershire and the south wales area. life changed when i was 15 and found myself in a big town called eastbourne on england's south coast with my real father. he was a cultured man, owned a television, was well-read and it was a very different environment from the rootless rural existence in which i had grown, but i've written about this earlier. therefore i am looking forward to seeing my sister again, because we shared some time in eastbourne. this will be the second or third time she has visited me in norway.

now it's time to carry on getting things ready. for dinner i made shepherd's pie with broccoli, and for pudding i just had a cup of tea with halva and something i was given at the mosque that abderahim called 'kamel ekskrement' - stoneless dates filled with crushed berries and covered in a red dusty sort of powder. he and sadek had taught me a while back how to perform wudu, the washing prayer. we often sit with the imam as he reads from the quran. i could never worship an invisible figure, of course, my intellect will not allow it, but studying the behaviour of religious fanatics is wonderful entertainment for a psychologist. like i always said, without us god would be nothing, the boss of a closed down baby factory, the king of a deserted island. he should be the one worshipping us, thanking us - his toys - for giving him something to do and making him relevant.

i have to go now. sometimes i just want to talk and talk. there is this great need in my personality to share conversation with people, and it's hard to stop. it is called 'the yaps', like when somebody has drunk a lot of black coffee and their brains are over-stimulated. this is why people invite me to so many parties, because i am so ultra communicative and interested in everything. apologies.
dar

Post by dar »

And, like you, I find everyone gathering today in Ghent to celebrate my birthday. I'm sure there will be a toast to me. ;-)
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Congratulations, Dar.
Hbty
Hbty
HbdD
Hbty!
(with the usual musical accompaniment).

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
dar

Post by dar »

Thanks Alan. Pretty soon my oldest daughter and I will be the same age since I am counting backwards. :D
its4inthemorning

Birthdays stopped being memorable after the one on which I qualified for full Social Security benefits. Nevertheless, I wish you a happy one dar!

G, I do recall a long treatise about your challenging nomadic upbringing that I enjoyed reading, it had a real conversational style, something that is not so easy to achieve. I stand by the recommendation I made in the past that you find someone with a literary/artistic background (and with a lot of spare time), loan them your various notebooks, and have them pick and choose writings and drawings to compose a book. BTW, there is another affliction unrelated to the "yaps," but similarly sounding, the "yips." The "yips" attack some of us that choose to golf, they are some sort of nervous condition that make the dominant hand misbehave when trying to putt. About 20 years ago I caught a bad case, so bad that I had to either give up golf or learn to putt left-handed. I chose the latter and today putting is the strongest part of my game (I have nothing to say about the other parts). In this case an old dog did learn a new trick. One curiosity is that when I golf with strangers, about half of them immediately notice that I swing clubs right-handed, but putt left-handed, and the other half never notice at all.

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

belated greetings, dar. hope you had a lovely day.
----------------------------------
hello its4inthemorning.

you have a fine memory, and a pleasant manner about you. this hints at a person who has an enviable background, a person who instills confidence in others. you are a competent golf player, and a person who can adapt and conquer challenging situations - biographical details that could strengthen one's opinion that you come from good stock, not necessarily aristocracy - one would need to listen to your speaking voice to establish that - but at least possessing a respectable lineage going back several generations.

until you mentioned golf your gender remained a mystery, but now it can be presumed you are male. some females play golf, of course, just as some males learn crochet - but such individuals are excluded from the majority. 'the yips' is an expression unheard of before now, so thank you for this education! a teacher expanding an inquisitive person's territory, be it mental or physical, is always appreciated more than one who can only lead others over familiar ground. may one enquire if there was a specific event that caused your 'nervous condition'?

it is indeed curious that only half of the strangers with whom you play golf have noticed your seemingly 'ambidextrous' behaviour. this could be due to one's sense of awareness, just as you have become aware that they are aware. those who do not register the eccentric manner in which you play are likely to be more interested in themselves than people around them. in the trade we call this narcissistic personality disorder, although it does not need to be severe. should you engage in conversation with such a person you will notice that they rarely, if ever, really absorb anything you mention about yourself - it simply has no connection to them.

it is so kind and thoughtful of you to suggest finding someone who can assist with the making of a book. the problem is that such an ambitious project holds little attraction to someone who has virtually no ego. the auratransformation performed by the late anni sennov is irreversible - but provides total freedom, and opens the door to endless creativity. nevertheless, your valued comment was quite touching. :)

due to current circumstances there may be a delay before responding to future messages, but this forum will continue to be monitored. stay well!
dar

Post by dar »

I think you would be very skilled at writing horoscopes G - and fortune telling in general. I'd believe you. :D
its4inthemorning

Hi Geoffrey,

Your stab at analyzing my character, background, and nature based on my posts here certainly caused a swelling of my head, enough so that I had my wife read it to laugh out loud and bring me back down to earth. As I am thinking it would interest you, and since I do not mind throwing some personal thoughts "out there," I will offer this critique:

Fine memory--you are spot on, I can vividly summon up memories from throughout my life from age 4 to the present, often surprising those who were "in" the memories, but have no recollection of the events. The mind's kindness of dimming or even obliterating unpleasant or painful memories thankfully holds for me, as my keen memory does not operate with respect to anything highly negative.

Pleasant manner--this is generally true.

Enviable background--I would say that most individuals born in highly civilized countries in the mid-20th century won the lottery of life, so yes.

Instills confidence in others--I am not sure that is true and I cannot think of much evidence that it is.

Competent golf player--ha ha, only if the "competent" bar is not set too high!

Adapt and conquer challenging situations--probably better than average, maybe a B grade, but not an A. I am comfortable with the verb adapt, not so much with conquer.

Come from good "stock"--My parents (and as far as I know) grandparents were intelligent, and the males (this was before women commonly worked outside the home) were definitely hard-working and industrious, but our lifestyle growing up was clearly in the middle of middle-class.

Not necessarily aristocracy but possessing a respectable lineage--It was at this point in your post that I choked on my coffee! Now, aristocracy and lineage are things that, at least when I was younger, were contrary to the whole idea of America, a view that I still hold. So, it has never really occurred to me to categorize or rank my forebears, and given the very mixed historical record of respectable lineages and "the aristocracy" for advancing civilization rather than themselves, I am not sure I would even want to admit to any such hereditary ties.

I suppose your analysis was not too bad given the scanty evidence you had to work with, but as dab said, I feel you would be very skilled at writing horoscopes.

Now, regarding the "selected writings and drawings" book I suggested, I was not clear as to what I had in mind. The idea was not to have someone ASSIST you in composing it, it was to fully delegate the entire task to someone else; to let him or her, based on literary and artistic knowledge, make ALL the decisions as to what should be included so as to come up with "Geoffrey's Unorthodox Life," or whatever other title was selected. All that was originally created by your hands would be out of your hands, much like Leonard putting his biography in the hands of Sylvie Simmons. To someone who creates the things that you do, it seems that the ultimate tragedy would be knowing that everything you drew and wrote in all those notebooks will, like so many items that were treasured by others while they lived, eventually wind up in some dumpster.

Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you for this. will respond when time permits. meanwhile having wonderful time with my sister, who will be staying here until tuesday.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

no communications lately as i have been having a great time with my sister. back soon :)
254.jpg
a gifted composer i met on an island last sunday :)
my angel, flung out of space.jpg
man in a cafe some days ago.
you're like lint or a bottle cap, you're just a thing to remove.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

ålesund - 22 august 2022. friends seen sitting on bench :)
would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses.jpg
trashy doodle
the anguish and want of death would fade like the stars at dawn.jpg
hello everybody. here is an updated picture of me, a selfie, taken some minutes ago at a place near spjelkavik. i just wanted to post it to help put a face to the name, because sometimes it's difficult to imagine what a person who writes looks like. anyway, this is me - so now you don't have to wonder any more. you can see just by looking at me that i have been blessed with nice features, a calm aura exuding an undeniable warmth, plus a tiny hint of playful mischievousness, perhaps. little wonder people flock to me and adore being in my presence. i think only a very hard and frigid person could not recognise the warm and welcoming qualities in such a face. if only there were more people like me around, but unfortunately not every oyster produces a pearl.
no stars in the sky, the night seems so dark around you.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

i call this work "lady with scorpion walks past lecherous man"
they got everything here from a diddled-eyed joe to damned if i know.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”