The Women Of Leonard Cohen's Army - The 1970 Backup Singers

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
DrHGuy

The Women Of Leonard Cohen's Army - The 1970 Backup Singers

Postby DrHGuy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:05 pm

backupsingers-1970-color_400.jpg
backupsingers-1970-color_400.jpg (11.82 KiB) Viewed 9725 times
This morning I posted Susan Musmanno, Corlynn Hanney, & Aileen Fowler – Leonard Cohen’s 2 Great Backup Singers In 1970

I should point out that the most significant portion of this post is a 1999 email from Susan Musmanno to the Leonard Cohen Newsgroup that Tom Sakic has previously reprinted in a post here on the Forum. Anyone who does not already know the love story of Susan Musmanno and Bubba Fowler (and anyone who is as confused as I was about exactly who sang backup during the 1970 Tour) should check out the post, but the best news may be that Susan and Bubba have provided a story of love, music, danger, celebrities, marriages, Michelle Phillips' stint as a Leonard Cohen backup singer, an irresistibly charming auberge, an irresistibly charming Leonard Cohen, revolution, a horseback ride through the French countryside, and even a specimen of that elusive, much-longed-for happily ever after ending that will be found in the next post or two about the 1970 Tour.

Thanks to Dominique BOILE for the photo of Corlynn Hanney and Susan Musmanno

Today's post can be found at at http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/11/04/susan ... s-in-1970/
Joe Way

Re: The Women Of Leonard Cohen's Army - The 1970 Backup Sing

Postby Joe Way » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Excellent, DrH!

It is a fascinating story and I confess that I missed Tom's post with the news from Aileen Fowler-so very happy that you brought it here.

In that same spirit, I found an interview with Bob Johnston talking about the early tours (1970 included) that was published in the Austin Chronicle. The archive is no longer available so the only way to read it is reproduced on the forum.

Here is a link to the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11798&p=130670&hili ... on#p130670

All the best,

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Ohmygod!...Michelle Phillips backing Leonard!...Find me a time-machine, quick!
holydove

Postby holydove » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:02 pm

DrH, thank you so much for your conscientious research & eloquent reporting! It's very exciting to hear these fascinating details from the famous Fowlers themselves. Can't wait for the sequel!
MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:58 pm

Allan-

Keep 'em coming! Fascinating stuff. Thank you!

Joe-

I enjoyed re-reading your original post - so full of detail and behind the scenes facts. Glad you brought this to the forefront again.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
holydove

Postby holydove » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:14 pm

Joe, I just read the interview with Bob Johnston - very interesting! Thank you for posting the link.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

you are no doubt leaping from your chair to shout “I know, I know – Donna Washburn and Michelle Phillips are missing from that so-called photo of Cohen’s 1970 backup singers.”
Michelle Phillips? That's brand new name to me as well. I am now surfing and see that she sung late US shows in 1970. She's not mentioned even in the latest biography (Reynolds') so this must be brand new discovery although I now see she mentions this on her website. Reynolds accented Laura Branigan's role in 1976 tour, and found her picture with Cohen, although previously we ever hardly noticed her as Jennifer Warnes, Sharon, Anjani and others were much more important (and Branigan didn't really go well with Cohen's voice). So he would mention that Mamas & Papas member was singing with LC.

I have to add about these late 1970 shows in LA, NYC and universities, we did not know about them until few years back (they're not listed in Jim Devlin's book methinks) and then JF Bedard of now retired leonardcohenlive.com started to receive some emails and updates about those shows, and Joe Way here was one of the first to come with recollections and physical data about one of the shows, here on the Forum and on JF's now-gone website. I never considered that *maybe* the band or singers were not the same (another mystery was perplexing me, and still is, back up singers on first album, although we solved that question in half here on the Forum), so I guess now that Michelle Phillips could be there for US tour.

Dona Washburn was singing in 1972 tour, with Jennifer Warnes, wasn't she, not in 1970? Although IOW DVD states she's on it.

I know she's with Warnes in Palmer's movie. I never watched Wight DVD closely so maybe I should, counting how many singers were on stage...

Addition re: Wight DVD: Now I remember there were two female singers in front of the stage, but one female singer was hidden behind the band and instruments (sitting?) and singing from the back... And how that surprised me when DVD was released in September 2009, the third singer hiding in back of the stage. Maybe that's Donna Washburn? Maybe this is heretic, but my strong impression was that she gave the singing, and the front ladies the looks...
Goldin

Postby Goldin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:05 pm

tomsakic wrote:and then JF Bedard of now retired leonardcohenlive.com
Just a modest suggestion, Tom: let's replace this remark - "now-gone", etc. - with the link to its wayback machine copy each time. Would be a great help for newbies. The site is paralysed, hidden and lost in thickets, but still alive.
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:19 pm

Thanks, Goldin, I have it under my Favorites, but at home (now I'm in the office) so I was thinking to post the link later :)

So, this part of 1970 tour was completely mysterious until people started to write on blogs, Forum and to JF half a decade ago:

1970 Late concerts in North America
October-December
1970/10/15 Kingston, Ontario, Canada - (Queen's University, Arena)
1970/10/30 Madison, WI, USA - (Field House)
1970/11/14 Los Angeles, CA, USA - (University of California UCLA, Royce Hall)
1970/11/15 Berkeley, CA, USA - (Berkeley Community Theatre)
1970/??/?? New York, NY, USA - (Stony Brook University, Student Centre)
1970/12/?? Toronto, Ontario, Canada - (Massey Hall)
1970/12/?? Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - (Carleton University)
1970/12/10 Montréal, Québec, Canada - (Place des Arts)
1970/12/?? Verdun (Montréal), Québec, Canada - (Douglas Hospital)
Btw, Allan has now Michelle Phillips story at http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/11/08/miche ... ohen-tour/
She [Michelle Phillips] filled in for Corlynn [Hanney] twice, I think. … It was the two concerts in CA — UCLA and Berkley. It fell to me to teach her the parts, and, at least at that particular time in her life, she could not sing. At all. It was sad. I don’t know what particular cocktail of drugs she was using, but it didn’t help. It was during the brief time of her relationship-marriage to Dennis Hopper, and he was around, also.
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 pm

This site also confirms my confusion about recent Allan's entry about Aix-en-Provence: he says he has audience recording (and there's also YouTube clip with its sound) but I clearly know I have RADIO recording.

http://web.archive.org/web/200810061249 ... -08-02.htm says
source: radio AM/FM simulcast (France-Inter)
length: 49 minutes (incomplete)
At http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/09/15/leona ... ey-mayhem/ Allan says:
This video features an audience-made audio recording of Leonard Cohen’s introduction and performance of Bird On A Wire on August 2, 1970 at the Aix-en-Provence Music Festival illustrated with photos of Leonard Cohen and his musicians, most of which have never before been published, pictures of scenes from the Festival (many of which were part of today’s post and the September 9, 2011 post Leonard Cohen At Another Other 1970 Festival – Aix-en-Provence (Part 1), and images of other publications and events associated with the Festival.

The audio recording is only fair at best but does have the virtues of being authentic and the only known recording of Cohen’s performance known to be available.

Leonard Cohen’s introduction and his performance of “Bird On A Wire” were recorded by an audience member at the Aix-en-Provence Festival. The copy used in the video is from the private collection of Hippy1948.
I traded long ago with Hippy, but still I am sure that circulating copies are AM radio recording, as JF's website states.
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:22 pm

DrH & Tom,
I always assumed that Corlynn Hanney and Susan Mussmano (Aileen Fowler) were the backing singers in Madison on Oct. 30, 1970. Corlynn recently emailed me that she has no recollection of singing in Madison so either there was another singer filling in that night or Corlynn's memory is faulty. I'm not sure if we will ever know.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
DrHGuy

Donna Washburn & the 1970 Leonard Cohen Tour

Postby DrHGuy » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:55 pm

donna+washburn+mad+dogs+and+englishment+tour.jpg
This morning, I posted Donna Washburn 1972 Leonard Cohen Tour Backup Singer – 1970? Not So Much

The mystery here is why the official blurb for the 2009 release of the Leonard Cohen Live At The Isle of Wight 1970 CD/DVD put out by Columbia/Legacy declares "They [Leonard Cohen and the band] were joined by backup singers Corlynn Hanney, Susan Musmanno, and Donna Washburn." [emphasis mine] That press release is currently found on the official Leonard Cohen site, LeonardCohenFiles, LeonardCohenForum, and 1800+ other sites – including my own, leading to the confusion.

Spoiler Alert: There isn't much suspense here - Donna Washburn was not a backup singer for Leonard Cohen until she and Jennifer Warnes served in that capacity in 1972. But, it is sort of interesting why she was on stage at the Isle Of Wight concert to start with. And, her previous career with Dillard & Clark and in the Space Choir (with Rita Coolidge and Claudia Lennear) of Mad Dogs & Englishmen (whence the above photo by Linda Wolf) is described in the post at http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/11/11/donna ... t-so-much/
holydove

Postby holydove » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Well, that certainly clears things up - thank you, DrH! I have always been rather confused about the third girl onstage in IOW, & thought/heard/read that it was Donna Washburn, but was uncertain about her role in the whole thing. So, thank you again! BTW, Donna Washburn also performed with the Grateful Dead at some point, but I don't remember excatly when; it might have been during their Europe 1972 tour, but that would mean she toured with two different bands in 1972 (though it might have different months of that year), so I'm not really sure.
DrHGuy

Postby DrHGuy » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:10 pm

holydove wrote: BTW, Donna Washburn also performed with the Grateful Dead at some point, but I don't remember excatly when; it might have been during their Europe 1972 tour, but that would mean she toured with two different bands in 1972 (though it might have different months of that year), so I'm not really sure.
I missed that entirely. I haven't been able to track down a reference to Donna Washburn performing with the Grateful Dead. I'd appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction. Thanks,
Allan
holydove

Postby holydove » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:48 pm

So sorry, my mistake. . . of course! I was thinking of Donna Godhcaux -she's the one that sang with the Grateful Dead in the '70's. I should know better than to think you missed something, DrH!

Return to “Related Artists”