meaning of "I'm your man song"?

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Fan_from_BC

meaning of "I'm your man song"?

Postby Fan_from_BC » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:47 am

I've always been wondering about the meaning of this song. If you listen to the lyrics in the middle it looks like that the guy is lamenting about the relationship with someone he loves that is no more. So the only thing he can do now is to repeat all these promises in his mind that none is listening to any more.

What do you guys think?
brightnow

Re: meaning of "I'm your man song"?

Postby brightnow » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Fan_from_BC wrote:I've always been wondering about the meaning of this song. If you listen to the lyrics in the middle it looks like that the guy is lamenting about the relationship with someone he loves that is no more. So the only thing he can do now is to repeat all these promises in his mind that none is listening to any more.

What do you guys think?
Welcome to the forum BC Fan!

I think you have the topmost layer of this lyric figured out. It is a song of devotion (a failed and painful devotion) and of regret. There are other layers to it, and enough obscure references to anchor all kinds of meanings to the work. There are also many typical Cohen themes in it (such as the moon, "the beast" and insomnia).

I think a few of us like to think of it at times as a song of pure devotion, and forget (at least or a while) about the failure, pain and regret. Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't let it get to your head :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
mat james

Re: meaning of "I'm your man song"?

Postby mat james » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:11 pm

surrender
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”