Leonard does not own the rights to Suzanne?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
alb123

Leonard does not own the rights to Suzanne?

Postby alb123 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:36 am

I am watching the DVD "Bird on a Wire" by Tony Palmer. Leonard speaks before performing Suzanne and says that "the rights were stolen from me..." He goes on to say that a friend asked him to sign some documents, implying it was just the "standard writers' contract". Does anyone know who this friend is? I am shocked to learn Leonard does not own the rights to the song. I can't imagine how much money he lost in royalties from this one song... :cry:

ALB
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
kalinowt

Re: Leonard does not own the rights to Suzanne?

Postby kalinowt » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:11 am

Hi ALB,

That's old news. Leonard was cheated out of them originally, but he reaquired the rights, finally, about 1990 or so.

alb123 wrote:I am watching the DVD "Bird on a Wire" by Tony Palmer. Leonard speaks before performing Suzanne and says that "the rights were stolen from me..." He goes on to say that a friend asked him to sign some documents, implying it was just the "standard writers' contract". Does anyone know who this friend is? I am shocked to learn Leonard does not own the rights to the song. I can't imagine how much money he lost in royalties from this one song... :cry:

ALB
alb123

Re: Leonard does not own the rights to Suzanne?

Postby alb123 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:56 am

Thank you, kalinowt, for enlightening me regarding Leonard's reacquisition of the rights to "Suzanne". I apologize for not knowing this information previously. Would anyone, by chance, know the name of the person who owned the rights to the song before this reacquisition?
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)

Return to “Comments & Questions”