Interview With Leonard in Guardian

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Judy

Re: Interview With Leonard in Guardian

Postby Judy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:27 pm

Evie B thank you so much for that link.

"The Window" is such a beautiful "song".
remote1

Postby remote1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:00 pm

Well, now that I am a registered member here, I can afford to ask a question which -- for some bizarre reason -- keeps coming back to me regularly (perhaps because the many unresolved mysteries of this universe make me anxious).

At the start of the interview, LC says that he is hardly ever at his home in Montreal, but that it has a good washing-machine which is used by lots of people in the area.

I am completely baffled by this. Does he live in an area so poor that people can't afford to buy good washing-machines? And how do they get in? Are there no locks to his door? Do the people in his area all have a key to his house?

I would be be grateful for your thoughts on this.
As far as I am concerned these are the most enigmatic of Leonard Cohen's lyrics...

Thanks!
Remote1 ;-)
"We are so lightly here"
CinCin

Postby CinCin » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:34 pm

The thing about the washing machine intrigued me too. My uncle lives in Montreal, and it's a pretty high density city, with people living in three story/three flat row houses that don't have a lot of room. Even in the more expensive older neighborhoods. My uncle has a small washer and no dryer. He does lock his doors, though. But is real friendly with all his neighbors, so it's a different world from suburban Phoenix, that's for sure. I'm going to visit next week, and I have this compulsion to seek out Leonard Cohen's Washing Machine . . . .
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
remote1

Postby remote1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 am

Thanks for this interesting piece of human geography. :)
CinCin, if you get to use His washing machine, let me know if the light gets in.
"We are so lightly here"

Return to “News”