April 24th at Joe's

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Hi all.

It's great to read about the shows. Excellent piece about the 24th Dick, well done. Brings back all the memories of the two shows I managed to see that night. I also managed to meet and say a quick hello to Leonard and Anjani backstage after the first show. Sorry I missed you on the night Dick but hopefully we will get a chance to meet at another Leonard performance soon.

I've included a link to youtube. It should bring you to a video I made of Leonard's introduction on the 24th. This should bring you straight to It but If not search for 'Leonard Cohen/Anjani at joe's pub' and you should find It. I also need a little help. I have two other videos of Leonard's duets with Anjani during the first show but the file size Is too large (can only post up to 100MB on youtube). Does anyone know how I can submit a video of larger size to youtube? Or maybe there Is a way I can reduce the file size Itself? Really eager to get these vids out there so any help Is welcome.

Eric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gorqIdGfQY
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so glad you were able to meet them, Eric :D . My only sorrow is that Damellon didn't :cry: .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I've tried again with the 'downtown' link and it's still jerky, with the sound untimed to the visuals. Does this happen with anyone else and, if so, does it clear up? Is it just a buffering issue that resolves itself, given enough time?

That's splendid having Leonard's introductory monologue, Eric 8) ! I was glad to be there to hear the reversal in the lyric, in changing "not" to "still" ~ the truth 8) ; especially since he didn't do it for the second show. I'm thrilled that you have it on tape, and I'm still going to include it in my report, regardless...

I'm glad to get his reference cleared up, as well. All I could think of was Rodgers & Hammerstein, but it just never sounded right. Now I hear why... it was Gilbert & Sullivan. At least I was right on the Jekkyl and Hyde :lol: ~ what a trip Leonard is, eh? These tapes can sure be helpful.

It was frustrating to have it cut off after Anjani began singing, though :( . Oh, well... another time.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

I was disapointed I couldn't film more of Anjani's performance but I was seriously low on camera memory. I decided to use what memory I had left to catch Leonard and Anjani together. Killing two birds with one stone I suppose.
Anyway, I managed to upload another video I shot. This one features Leonard and Anjani singing Whither Thou Goest. Hope this makes up for the lack of Anjani footage In my first video Liz :wink:

Eric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmfxf1DLLkM
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:) ... and there they went... 8)

That's beautiful, Eric. I'm so glad you were able to capture that. You know, my camera has some sound for footage, too. No idea how much... don't think that much, though. If only the cameras could capture the sound with the balance and tone it has in person; yet, seeing this still brings the pleasure, doesn't it :) ?

So poignant.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
opendoor

Re: Joe's

Post by opendoor »

Go to downtowntv.com - downtown live link for excellent Anjani and Leonard Cohen videos (esp. Gypsy Wife)

opendoor
dick

Post by dick »

Glad you waited for the video Bo...

Realize how lucky I am to have fiber optic connections and fast computer... shows from downtowntv stream immediately. I too gave them a big thanks for the great quality film.

Thanks for your kind words and videos Eric..... sorry we missed each other, but hopefully next time.....

Dick
damellon

Post by damellon »

At last - my video of Anjani & Leonard from Joe's on the 24th April is up on YouTube. A bit brighter than the others here, and no stopping and starting like the one from the TV link. Have 'Whither thou goest' too but not uploaded yet. Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lB8u3vHtFc
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for your video Damellon. Let us know when the others are up.

Also, on the 24th show, we now have confirmation that Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson were indeed there, even if our sharp-eyed crowd failed to spot them.... There was a semi-private balcony that they probably used.

Source of the confirmation is a part of Anjani's news update... we have her description of dealing with the #6 trains underneath Joe's, and notes from Steve Gregory on Lou and Laurie being in the audience.

Go to news on Anjani site
http://www.anjani-music.com/news.html
Mark A. Murphy

Thanks Dick

Post by Mark A. Murphy »

This is what the forum should be about. A celebration of life not a negation of it. Thanks for your post Dick. I really want to see Anjani perform live now. I love Blue Alert but I'm sure it does not do justice to her. I always thought live performances were the true mark of talent. Anyone can be made to sound good on record. I am always blown away when I see Leonard performing live on video, how must it be to see him in real life? I can only imagine.
"Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it." Sylvia Plath
sturgess66

Re: April 24th at Joe's

Post by sturgess66 »

New video from this show posted by "Mike Fulop" at his YouTube site (Autographs Depot). See description/explanation about videos below*

The beginning of the video includes a shoutout to Esther Cohen. :D

Leonard Cohen Live (with Anjani) @ Joe's Pub / NYC (04/24/07) - Never Got To Love You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4sPH4YhNdc

~ Linda

*One of the hundreds of Leonard Cohen videos I took over the years. I'm posting my best ones so everybody can enjoy them. As a huge fan, I tried attending as many Leonard concerts as I could afford. After meeting and interacting with Leonard a few times, he actually became fond of me and went on to give me many tickets to his sold-out concerts -- along with hundreds of autographs, drawings, pictures, and whatever else I ever asked. I'm sure my tenacity, peculiarity, and me being so much younger than most of his fans must've intrigued him. I'm forever grateful for his kindness and patience with me. I miss him dearly. Took me two years after his passing just to be able to go through these videos without tearing up, it hurts not having him around.

All videos were shot by me, Mike Fulop. The videos are posted on my business YouTube page, but they're unrelated to it. I rarely sold or traded any Leonard Cohen autographs, only the occasional double or damaged item.
sturgess66

Re: April 24th, 2007 at Joe's Pub, NYC

Post by sturgess66 »

Here are 2 more videos uploaded to YouTube by "Mike Fulop" for this show at Joe's Pub on April 24, 2007.
(See my post above for info about Mike Fulop and his videos)

Leonard Cohen Live (with Anjani) @ Joe's Pub / NYC (04/24/07) - Whither Thou Goest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBD1AMNrw-k
(Leonard's sister, Esther Cohen, is visible - the blonde woman sitting in the front row)

Leonard Cohen Live (with Anjani) @ Joe's Pub / NYC (04/24/07) - Introduction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhOdMoJNRe4

Linda

Return to “Comments & Questions”