Concert Plans? (a plea.)

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Ah, that's reassuring, Elizabeth! :lol: I'm sorry I missed the intent of your response. :oops:

Andrew (Darby) :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
jakki

Post by jakki »

Hi guys I am 20, and literally have been lstening to Leonard Cohen for 20 years, my mother is a major fan, and it is only recently i have gone from listening to really hearing this genius. I doubt very much if Leonard would ever look at this forum but just on the off chance he does i would just like to say Thank you, thank you for a lifetime of music!
Thank you for a lifetime to come of music.
Whether you choose to tour, to have one gig, I know you could sell out any venue, the biggest venue, anywhere in the world, whether or not you do. I will alway be listening, so will my mother, {who incidently still says she married my father for his surname, Leonard} Good luck, I sincerley hope we have more new music to look forward to.
Good Luck Leonard!
waltzer_matilda@yahoo.com
Jakki
Ireland
"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

What a great entrance, Jakki 8) ! Welcome to the Forum :D . All of your literal life, what a great gift your mother has given you. The lyrics have surely imbedded themselves in your soul, and now that you can grasp their many meanings, what a great lifetime to come! Blessings are raining your way. Leonard is currently working on a new album, and has temporarily back-burnered a compilation of poetry, in lieu of the music and songs. You're right on time :D !

~ Lizzytysh
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

I like many others would also travel anywhere in the world to see LC . His music has been an integral part of my life for a considerable time and as time passes this seems to intensify.

It is however his choice on whether to perform live again and I respect that.

He has given and shared a tremendous amount and touched many lives through the insight into life he has provided and the love he has given and shared and the love created. It would be wrong for him to feel that he has to perform or be forced into touring unless his heart and soul lead him to this.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It would be wrong for him to feel that he has to perform or be forced into touring unless his heart and soul lead him to this.
I agree with this, Unspoken Words. Self-determination is a term that I feel fits Leonard in this situation. It could be so, but I honestly can't imagine that Leonard would allow himself to be forced into touring. With all that Leonard's experienced and been through [volitionally and not volitionally], he's very in touch with himself, his priorities, and his capabilities at this point in his life 8) . He's gentle, but he's tough :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Manna

Post by Manna »

I've been begging the Force to allow for a tour as well, but I am torn. He's always been a tough cat, but he's getting up there. He looks more frail than I want to admit, and I don't know if he's in very good health. Touring takes a toll, and I want more for him to be comfortable than I want to see him perform live for myself.

I play Old Time music, and it's become a tradition among locals to invite "famous" OT musicians and hold "House Concerts." (I'll assume that goes w/o explanation.) I would love to invite LC over and have him play, relaxedly, in my living room or back yard, and I'd make him a gourmet dinner. Alas, he's much too famous for such fantasies, and I probably sound more like a stalker than a fan.

I've never seen him perform, but I've heard a few live recordings. Oh I know it ain't the same, but it may be all I get, dern it.
Last edited by Manna on Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a dark corner of nowhere
I am twisting my dunce cap like a gyre
into the hurricane of foretold lunacy.
- Leo Victor Briones
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Yesterday I saw the recent Norwegian interview, shot in Leonard's Montreal house in late 2006, few months ago. He even spoke about money and courts. He seemed very happy and comforted, but somehow *very* fragile. I always had an impression he's tough on stage (from live broadcasts I have), but now he somehow seems very delicate and fragile, and his hair is longer now, but he didn't comb it I think :lol: He was just sitting there in kitchen with a warm and nice young journalist from Norway, talking about the book for a half hour. Very nice. And VERY deep.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Touring takes a toll, and I want more for him to be comfortable than I want to see him perform live for myself.
I couldn't agree with you more, Manna.

Tom ~ Was it in English with dubbing in Norwegian? Your final comment makes this sound like one we 'must' see.

~ Lizzy
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Yeah, Norwegian subtitles, nice and very clear English (Leonard's speaking is always so delicate and correct).

It was broadcasted on January 2nd, 2007 on Norwegian NRK1. It's hot! I think Geoffrey commented the programme in a separate thread.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tom :D ~

Thanks for the clarification.
(Leonard's speaking is always so delicate and correct).
Perfect description... perfectly said 8) .

~ Lizzy
forged alloy

Post by forged alloy »

I wouldn't give up hope totally. Money is a wonderful motivator, and I've heard tell elsewhere that his finances were mismanaged in his absence. LA is and expensive place to reside.

As far as his health who knows, it may do him good to be more active. He doesn't need to play an instrument, most of his songs are not vocally challenging as far as range goes, he is not prone to moonwalking during his sets. I never got the recluse side of him.

One of my great regets in life was missing a live performance from him in Ann Arbor, MI in the mid 70's. My wife, then GF tried to get me to go with her and her family, but I was too immersed in rock to realize the enormity of his creativity during that period. Ah well, such is life!
The high cost of living doesn't seem to have hurt it's popularity!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Welcome to the Forum, Forged Alloy :D !

I'm guessing your girlfriend had the sense to go on without you, since you included her family in your comment. This is the kind of regret no one needs in their personal, music world.

DANG it all, anyway!! I could have gone to that concert in Ann Arbor... as well as Chicago, if I'd known about it. I'm guessing that was the same tour in which I saw him in Chicago.

Ann Arbor ~ great place, at least then... not sure about now. Did you ever know someone by the name of Terry Shukle? Photographer, some publishing with his girlfriend/wife, Janice? Or weren't/aren't you living there?

~ Lizzy
forged alloy

Post by forged alloy »

Hi Lizzy, and thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes, my wife exhibited superior intellect and judgement once again! They were big fans then, as we all are now. I believe it was the I'm Your Man tour, I may be mistaken about that.

Ann Arbor - still a nice town if you like that mid-size, liberal arts college town atmosphere thingie. I live north of Detroit, so I am not familiar with your friends. Who knows what the future holds though? It remains a mystery to me.

You may still enjoy visiting there, even without Leonard. It's not too far of a road trip from Chicago. Visit during the annual summer art fair. That's pretty cool to see. Your friend probably exhibits. It's real big in these parts.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Forged Alloy ~

Ah! See how easy the misperceptions :lol: ~ this is how rumours get started :wink: !

I actually lived in Flint at the time [where I was born and raised] ~ and took a train to Chicago to see Leonard... just enough money at the time to manage the trip and his performance, with $5.00 left at the end of my trip, after buying a drink at the Quiet Knight the two nights, having minimal food, and riding the subways and el-trains all night the first night [no money for lodging]... and the second night being taken in by a lovely Jewish guy, who arranged for bringing me to his house, where he still lived with his mother and sister. The regret I have is not staying the one more night to see Arlo Guthrie [in the days of "Alice's Restaurant" uncut and unabridged], despite his and his friend's begging, trying desperately to convince me I'd regret it. Famous last words...

The atmosphere at the time in Ann Arbor was much more hippied out, so don't know how bonded I'd feel with it now. I'm familiar with and have been to the art fair you're speaking of... quite elaborate, in fact. However, I doubt that he exhibits there... has always done a lot of more high-priced commission work... and has now become quite the recluse. He's actually the friend of my former husband.

Since you're already so close, are you planning to attend the Glass performance in Toronto in June? Leonard's voice will be integral, but still... wouldn't want to have to live with that kind of regret twice... it promises to be an excellent production! Ask your wife about it and just go with her decision :wink: .

~ Lizzy
Last edited by lizzytysh on Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forged alloy

Post by forged alloy »

Forgive me Lizzy; Glass performance - Toronto - Leonard - June?

Do I feel a quickening of my pulse?

You wonderful girl, tell me more! You have no idea how sheltered I have been, bless your heart.

Allan

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”