There is a war

The New York Event - before and after!
Linda

Post by Linda »

Tom what does saying "the battle you supported seems to be won" have to do with anything?

What is the difference between inore (which has been used here) and turning you off with a button?

Antropos's remarks in the first post are not vicious? House of a killer, Hitler, etc.?

Lightning's post of people being at the NY event are people likely to find at protest marches. Rules me out I would say. Those of opposition of the war. Ruled out again.

Lizzytysh, started the war protest on this board, and the VP board also; anyone can research that. From the comments made to Antropos, of what type people will be at the NY event, and with Lizzytysh's stand here,
never letting it go when many asked her to. I ruled myself out
Linda
Kush

Post by Kush »

Maybe i'm a minority here but this constant carping in various threads is really getting to me. If someone wants to come to NY - good...if he/she doesnt want to come, also good. I'm really not interested to know anyone's reasons, either way. What's the big deal and why go on and on about it ? If you see what you perceive as a personal attack against you, why not just let it go ? Is it so hard ?? Please, just let it go by.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

AAAAARRRRRRRUUUUUGH Linda,

I like you Linda. I can not wait for my tape to arrive. Do not leave the Forum. If you do you can come to TOKYO. Leonard can come to TOKYO too!

Godzilla
Linda

Post by Linda »

:D Tokyo sounds wonderful with or without LC.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Linda ~

This is a serious post to you. I've answered your other one here [that mentions me] in the other section.

IF going to New York for the Event is something that you are truly interested in doing, and able to do [in lieu of other commitments, husband, family, money, whatever], I hope that you'll discuss it with your pastor....and whatever is causing you to feel so deep-down conflicted about it. It appears that you've lived a fairly conservative life, and if you don't go [if you really wanted to], when you hear about everything that happened there; and the people that you didn't, but could have, met; and you see that the next one is somewhere on the other side of the world, you yourself may consider this to be one of your silliest, most unfounded, and most regrettable decisions [that's where the "fairly conservative life" comes in ~ many of us could point to any number of other things that we could easily classify as our "silliest, most unfounded, and most regrettable" decisions]. To come or not come based on something as irrelevant as how you and I do or don't get along is really shortchanging yourself.

Coming to New York is also far more realistic than your ever getting to Tokyo. So, why not go where you can most easily get to, and for the best reason, while you have the chance?

The same goes for you, too, Candice and Tori. Perla Batalla is exquisite, and the Event will have so many things that you'll remember and cherish for a lifetime. Leonard is bigger in this than all of us put together.

~ Elizabeth
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

AAAAAAARRRRRRUUUUUGH Lizzytysh,

It is realistic to fly to TOKYO. I will not call America the House of Killers. I will not say Americans and British fighting like Nazi's. I will not say table for three. Unless Table for three you mean Linda and Leonard and me.

Godzilla
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Dear Linda (if I may say so)

Tom what does saying "the battle you supported seems to be won" have to do with anything?
I had thought that we could return to more civility on this Forum, and I said so explicitely in my last post: "I had thought we could return to a more peaceful way of communication after the war, but this doesn't seem to be the case."

If you don't see the difference between ignoring and turning off, I don't know how to explain it to you.

Antropos (I just re-read his first post) used harsh words against the government while at the same time stating his basic "Love" for the US. The viciousness I refer to is directed at Forum members and doesn't include a basic declaration on - no, not Love, but respect. (R-E-S-P-E-C-T !)

Lightning, the way I understood it, suggested that antropos shouldn't generalize his judgment on the administration on all the American People. I didn't get from there that antropos wouldn't meet other people than those you could find at protest marches.

Lizzytysh may have been the first to bring up the issue on this Forum (I will not check that out!), but it would have come anyway. And I would sadly regret a Forum of adult people with their own minds not to discuss one of the most pressing issues on the whole planet.

Many might have asked her to stop talking about real life, but I know at least as many who imemdiately opposed such attempts at censorship.

When you feel that you ruled yourself out - okay, it is your decision. But maybe you're applying the wrong set of rules. (Mark: I'm not saying you do use the wrong set of rules; I merely suggest you should think it all over again.)

However, I don't even want to ignore you, nor to turn you off.

Still yours truly
Tom
Linda

Post by Linda »

Antropos, who decides for one of his first posts, to say he is not coming to NY because of the US stand on the war in Iraq. The anti war people flock over, he decides O.K I will come. Who can't read between the lines on that one.

I have made my point on this thread, it was ridiculous from the get go. It should have been deleted from the start.

Tori, Candice, and Godzilla I hope you go to New York, if you do save a spot at the table. Unless Godzilla is saving a spot at his table for three in Tokyo, maybe if I start saving now I can afford a plane ticket there.

By the way Lizzytysh I am very good friends with my Pastor and we talk quite often. Thanks for the counceling session, anyway.
Linda
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Linda ~

Presuming I'm reading this correctly, I'm glad to hear you're coming. If you are, and even though the feeling may not be mutual, I look forward to meeting you. I presumed that you probably were pretty close with your pastor, but didn't know how likely you'd be to discuss your participation on the Forum with him, so wanted to at least suggest that, as an option that might hold sway. I didn't intend it to be a counseling session of any sort, really, just more of my own thinking on how things could look to you in retrospect, but after it was too late.

~ Lizzytysh

If I've misinterpreted your attendance intent, please let me know so I can get out a shovel for digging a little deeper in that last ditch.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Linda,
I hope you do decide to come to New York and that everyone can put aside their differences of opinion and just concentrate for a few days on having a good time while enjoying Leonards work.

I have to admit to having some misgivings myself about travelling to New York, but I will probably go anyway. I still think there may be a slight chance the man himself may make a brief appearance, after all, his sister went to the Montreal event and his daughter and manager went to Hydra. I live in hope.

Bye the way, my son Andrew went to Tokyo on his own about a year ago, travelled around Japan, and is looking forward to returning there sometime.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Margaret ~ That's a lovely thought. Of course, remember Adam is still around and hasn't made it to any of the Events....and he performs :D . Even still, you know how Leonard loves watching him do that, too. So, hey.....who knows. No matter where he's at, he'll be there in spirit. I'm sure you're like me in that I won't be disappointed no matter who is there. I'm still thrilled that I'll be seeing Ms. Perla.

Linda ~ Just want to be sure you understood that my final note had to do with my "last-ditch effort." I was in Toyko, as well, many years ago. Going by how it was then, it remains a worthwhile destination for you. Just not in lieu of the Event in 2004 :) . I, like Margaret, also have my misgivings about going to New York, but only as related to the terrorism factor. In terms of flying, I don't mind that I'll be able to drive. I don't enjoy flights like I used to.....pray during take-offs, pray during landings, pray during turbulence. Guess you could call planes my prayer closets :shock: I could think of better ones.
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Marvellous sentiments and very true to ALL you last posters of the thread................IT IS Leonard that is important to us in our own wee ways.
Our diffrences to us are minisclule in comparison.
Everyone should bury their hatchets and try and attend FOR THE SPIRIT of Leonard.
ps I think the occassion should hasten a truce and war may or may not be declared again after viewing the physical presense.
Best to all the Board...................Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
antropos

IS STILL WHAT YOU WANTED? ... without code (sorry).

Post by antropos »

Please, don't misunderstand.
Read the exact word, let your eye see, let the anger away.
Thank you Tom, you're perfectly right.
I still love America,
(I mean US obv)
but I still think it is the house of some killer;
Naturally, I didn't think about your parents, Candice
(I do not even know them, really).
I refer, for example, to the SHOCK and OWE theorizer.
My heart goes cold.
In my minds people are the same.
Strenght means to me dialogue, and facing the others.
Understanding.
Most of all
forgiving.
And giving.
Not bombing, or macho...
This is poorness, with fear.
Give us back the States we love...
Linda, everyone can believe what the mind make believing.
But I was genuine, really. I am genuine.
I love to recognise the good in the opinion of the others,
and to share them If I agree.
Because I want to remain free.

I wrote (my opinion):
Leonard maybe wouldn't come to NY.
(We all know that he is going to join to
The concerts against the war,
it is written here).
Leonard maybe doesn't like THIS America.
So, since we want to meet in his spirit
(we are not take that fans, with respect)
is NY the right place?

I mean:
Us are they really free NOW?
hundreds of people got arrested in every demonstration?
Military leaving Bagdad in an anarchy situation?
But make people see the statue go down,
not people injuried, despeired, worthless.
Killing of people who are protesting in Iraq,
and thousands of them missed right today.
D o t h e y t e l l t h i s i n a m e r i c a ?
Let the ancient library get robbed,
but EHI, keep the Oil ministery protect!
Great reporters who lost their job?
Justice to prevent terrorism? AH AH AH
(Not mention Cile, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua, shhhh!)
Yeah we are a really FREE country,
Money for everyone (but most for me).
but please, think the way we do, ok?
And now, is it Siria time?
It is better that we are friend,
or We will visit you, soon or later!

It is how I see America now.

Uh, we are so AFRAID of you.
Well
IS
THIS
WHAT YOU WANTED?
antropos

...preventing Linda suspect...

Post by antropos »

.. But my respect to the ones who are organizing the event.
I cannot imagine the efforts for making it good.
It could be easy to talk about that
Without involving in the work.

Yes, I know.
Maybe
(in my opinion)
NY is not the PERFECT place
for us to meet there nowadays,
(not the RIGHT place as I wrote)
but, as George says, we are only human…
and (I confess) I often want the only perfect things
to happen in my life.

I will be in NY.
And you will help me
discovering the
America I love, right?

Peace to all.

People travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the
huge waves of the seas, at the long course of the rivers, at the vast
compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars, and yet they
pass by themselves without wondering. --St. Augustine of Hippo
tom.d.stiller

Post by tom.d.stiller »

Dear antropos,

this is not what anybody wanted.
Thank you again for pointing out the difference between certain political groups that presently tend to monopolize most of the US media in a gigantic attempt at thought control (that won't work out in the long run), and the America we all love. (I'm sure that those who attacked some critics as being anti-American really do love the same America as we others do...)

Is New York the right place? Why not New York? Because it's in America? I'd say: America, let's "crown thy good with brotherhood from sea to shining sea!" (I'll certainly do - if only I can find a way.)

Tom

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”