A little gift for the pedants (you know who you are)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Now, this must be the height of stupidity. I counted four on my first pass. Now that I know there's six, I go back and very carefully try to find the other two. I can't. I cannot find the other two that I know are there. Unless this is a cruel joke at my expense. Ha! There probably is only 3 and I'm seeing 4!

Partisan's was interesting as well. How simply we can all read that gibberish. It comes with lots and lots of practice! :wink: . No, Partisan, I wasn't referring to you.

Linda.
Cia

Post by Cia »

(F)INISHED (F)ILES ARE THE RE
> SULT O(F) YEARS O(F) SCIENTI
> (F)IC STUDY COMBINED WITH
> THE EXPERIENCE O(F) YEARS...

Did that help Linda?

hugs Cia
The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man almost nothing.
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

If not, please see me after class, Linda :wink: .

Way to go, Tri-me. I'd have admitted it, too, had there been occasion for it; however, many things left to go for me to do that.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Cia, Lizzy, thanks for your help :lol: . I showed the puzzle to my husband and he very handily pointed out the six f's right off the bat (I'm going to see if he can catch the two ffs in the word off). And he did, dammit!

Linda.

PS: It's probably 'cause he uses the 'f' word a lot. :wink:
Jo

Post by Jo »

Bobbles - mai spillin iss ecellant an i'm wirking on mai tipping - bit in the meentyme it simtimes hilps if noon interstinds wit yo're sying - it a voids a lit off argimints.
:lol:
"... to make a pale imitation of reality with twenty-six juggled letters"
"... all words are lies because they can only represent one of many levels of being"
Sober noises of morning in a marginal land.
Bobbie

Post by Bobbie »

yahp eye kudnt ahgre moor, joe.. jo. Yah.. more jo.. that's what I say every morning when I'm trying to wake up...

Bobbles
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Bobbie, you are so easy to read! No more coded messages on this forum. We all have the key now!

Linda. :D
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

I only counted three on my first go... at least I don't have Alzheimer's, I'm just healthy and stupid :D
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

My friends are much smarterer than me no I. A friend of mine a textile artist abd teacher told me about this book. We were talking about stuff then she mentioned this book and she knew the puzzle you posted ........... :P someone named Leonard wrote the book

http://www.alphabetvsgoddess.com/

In the bestselling book, The Alphabet Versus The Goddess, Leonard Shlain proposes that the invention of writing, particularly alphabetic writing, rewired the brains of the people who learned how to communicate using this culture-changing tool. Great benefits to society followed. However, a precipitous decline in feminine values manifested by women's status, goddess veneration, nature, and representative art occurred in tandem. For example, the European witchhunts followed closely in the heels of the printing press. The return of the image in the modern age through the medium of photography, film, television, and the internet have brought about a sharp rise in the values denigrated during the 5000 year reign of patriarchy and literacy.
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
altinkum

Post by altinkum »

Iv'e joined the average society :lol: . The amazing thing is I knew I had seen this before and it still caught me out :oops:

Wendy
linmag

Post by linmag »

I got six first time, but then I'm used to proof-reading :)

I think the trick may be something to do with the fact that as we are reading we pronounce of 'ov', so don't think of it as an 'f' word!
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
Makera

who ndees seplcelhcekrs aynawy

Post by Makera »

Hey P :D

Byron posted on this very same phenomenon back in October '03
viewtopic.php?p=14210&highlight=#14210

Funny how the brain works, eh ;)

~ Makera
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

The Computational Exploration of Visual Word Recognition in a Split Model
Richard Shillcock
Department of Psychology and Institute for Adaptive and Neural Computation, Division of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.

Padraic Monaghan

Institute for Adaptive and Neural Computation, Division of Informatics, University of Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K.

We argue that the projection of the visual field to the cortex constrains and informs the modeling of visual word recognition. On the basis of anatomical and psychological evidence, we claim that the higher-level cognition involved in word recognition does not completely transcend initial foveal splitting. We present a schematic connectionist model of word recognition that instantiates the precise splitting of the visual field and the contralateral projection of the two hemifields. We explore the special nature of the exterior (i.e., first and last) letters of words in reading. The model produces the correct behavior spontaneously and robustly. We analyze this behavior of the model with respect to words and random patterns and conclude that the systematic division of the visual input has predictable, general informational consequences and is chiefly responsible for the exterior letters effect.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Linmag ~

Since of is considered an "f" word, may we now just say, "Of off"? :wink:

~ Lizzy
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

Return to “Comments & Questions”