In My Secret Life video clip online

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
tomsakic

In My Secret Life video clip online

Post by tomsakic »

Thanks to Aaron Goffman's site and just discovered 1995 short film Dance Me To The End Of Love, I discovered that Revolver Film Company, which produced Floria Sigismondi's video clip In My Secret Life for Leonard, has great site at http://www.revolverfilms.com and there you can watch all their clips. Site is in flash, so I cannot provide the direct link: you must click Directors, then choose Floria Sigismondi, and the simply choose Leonard Cohen: In My Secret Life from list of her works to watch it in Quck Time.
There's also nice Floria's biography which says that her works "earned her artistic carte blanche from Leonard Cohen, who chose Sigismondi to reintroduce him the world after a 10-year absence with the MVPA and JUNO award-nominated video for In My Secret Life, a disturbingly serene comment on the banality of domesticity."

Floria Sigismondi has also great site at http://www.floriasigismondi.com. It's nice to see that she made so great works - I have seen so many of her videos on TV not realising it's her work, like Bjork, Interpol and Sigur Ros!!! There's also list of film festivals so you can see on which In My Secret Life was showed, and also, in Events section, it says her latest video installation was In My Secret Life at 2002 International Film Festival Rotterdam. I really wanna see that; what was the conception and what she made with video in installation.
Polemos

Post by Polemos »

great work. i don't understand the deeper meaning of this clip, but nontheless i like it. that#s art in my opinion
In full command
Of every plan you wrecked
Do not choose
A coward's explanation
That hides behind
the cause and the effect
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I agree it's piece of art. Leonard's video always was - First We Take Manhattan is, like, the best clip ever made (directed and designed by Dominique Isserman), and you must now that I'm big fan of that film form, I do watch MTV and Viva all days:-) Isserman's Dance Me To The End Of Love (1985) was also a masterpiece. Only Closing Time was little insufficent, although it suited the song (Leonard and band singing in the bar).

You don't understand the deeper meaning :D Well, neither I :wink: I mean, "disturbingly serene comment on the banality of domesticity" :roll:
Polemos

Post by Polemos »

well, i'm not so common with clips because i do not watch them (in fact i do not watch any tv). but for lc i make one big exception. :wink:
the first clip i ever saw (in this time on tv) was "first we take manhattan". i think it's not so "artificial" as "in my secret life". leonard gets - this is my personal opinion and not negativly meant - more and more "strange" and fullfills his demand as an artist.
does anybody understand it? may anybody understand it? :roll:
In full command
Of every plan you wrecked
Do not choose
A coward's explanation
That hides behind
the cause and the effect
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi Tom,
"disturbingly serene comment on the banality of domesticity"
I'm guessing you've never been married. At least not forever! And ever :lol:

Clips - great, Tom. Cds? Much better. :wink:

Linda.
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

Just watched this video clip. Didn't figure it out at first (maybe I still haven't!) but I enjoyed seeing Leonard and hearing him sing anyway.

At the end, as he got into his car, I think I saw what the VIDEO was saying... everyone is shut up inside their own head, with their own secret life that nobody else sees.

But Leonard is outside, alone... and his secret life is apart from theirs... not enclosed, but open for anyone to see, but most people are not interested and don't really look...

Except us, that is. :wink:
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”