Leonard Cohen??

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
drsing

Leonard Cohen??

Post by drsing »

:roll:
IMG_8392.jpeg
:roll:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
LisaLCFan

Re: Leonard Cohen??

Post by LisaLCFan »

:shock: :lol: That’s hilarious!!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

It has a back cover photo, too! :lol:
The Back Cover.jpg
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

If the back cover text is anything to go by, then the "book" (all 56 pages of it) has been written by an AI. "Lyla J. Downs" has published quite a few of these books.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hartmut wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 7:27 am If the back cover text is anything to go by, then the "book" (all 56 pages of it) has been written by an AI. "Lyla J. Downs" has published quite a few of these books.
Yes, I noticed on Amazon Canada that there are numerous "biographies" by this "author", and the "look inside" the Cohen book revealed text straight from Wikipedia. So, I wonder who gets the $10.85 if someone is gullible enough to buy this A.I. cut-and paste plagiarised booklet?

I am curious about the words on the front cover, which are presumably meant to depict a page from a notebook. Is it a real language -- can anyone read it? -- or is it just randomly generated "words"?
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Hm ... It doesn't sound like Wikipedia to me.
LisaLCFan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:59 pm Is it a real language
I don't think so.
Tarierona

Post by Tarierona »

Hartmut wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:07 pm Hm ... It doesn't sound like Wikipedia to me.
I don't think so.
I'm sure that's not true
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Tarierona wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:10 pm
Hartmut wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:07 pm Hm ... It doesn't sound like Wikipedia to me.
I don't think so.
I'm sure that's not true
What are you sure is not true? The Wikipedia suggestion, or the language suggestion? Some of the "Early Life" section of the "book" (which one can read in the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon) is identical to parts of the "Early Life" section of the Wikipedia page for Leonard Cohen -- same words, same details -- you can look them both up to see that it is true!

As to whether or not the language on the supposed "notebook page" on the front cover is a real language (if a notebook page is what it is meant to be), well, if you think it is a real language, which one is it? It's looks a bit like a random collection of words and letters, possibly from different languages and/or made-up languages! It is definitely not English, and since Leonard Cohen wrote in English, and the book is published in English, it does make one wonder why English was not used for the image!

Also, why are you so "sure" that we are mistaken about either of those things? We are talking about a book most likely written by an A.I., and a pretty stupid A.I. at that, if it can't even find actual photos of Leonard Cohen to use on the front and back covers, and instead uses photos of some unknown person (maybe not even a real person, but an A.I. generated one, for all we know). I would not be "sure" of much of anything, other than that this "book" is a bit of a scam!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 pm Some of the "Early Life" section of the "book" (which one can read in the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon) is identical to parts of the "Early Life" section of the Wikipedia page
Interesting. I can't access those pages. Only the introduction. And that reads like an AI text.

But I think we already wasted too much time on this ...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hartmut wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:14 am
LisaLCFan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 pm Some of the "Early Life" section of the "book" (which one can read in the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon) is identical to parts of the "Early Life" section of the Wikipedia page
Interesting. I can't access those pages. Only the introduction. And that reads like an AI text.

But I think we already wasted too much time on this ...
Yes, it all reads like an AI generated product: totally generic, platitudinous twaddle about Leonard, and a list of facts cut-and-pasted and/or paraphrased from Wikipedia and other internet sources (of course, there are no references or footnotes in the book). I hope that nobody wastes their money on it!

Speaking of waste, indeed, we've probably spent more time looking into it and discussing it than it took the AI to assemble the book(let)! Somebody (a human being) must have organised it and printed it -- it is available both as an e-book and a paperpack -- but why? Is there actually money to be made from this crap?

Incidentally, I am convinced that there are at least one or two AIs on this forum, posing as human members, who regularly post new messages that do nothing but paraphrase the contents of someone else's post, and/or make vapid platitudinous comments (similar to what is in that book). I did some research on the subject, and apparently, this happens regularly on forums and social media sites, and sometimes it is done to promote a political/social agenda (for example, there are anti-vax AIs who post on social media, making it look like there are a lot of people supporting a certain position, when in reality, it is just AIs and not real people), but when it comes to something like the Leonard Cohen Forum and other fan forums, I cannot fathom why an AI would bother joining and making meaningless posts! I don't know who unleashes these things on the internet, or what intructions they are given -- it is quite mysterious to me.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

LisaLCFan wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:59 am Incidentally, I am convinced that there are at least one or two AIs on this forum, posing as human members, who regularly post new messages that do nothing but paraphrase the contents of someone else's post, and/or make vapid platitudinous comments
Oh! I've never noticed that!

You mean you have a strong feeling that among the members of this forum, there are likely one or two artificial intelligences masquerading as humans? These suspected AI entities frequently contribute new posts that merely rephrase or restate the content from someone else's previous post? Additionally, their comments often come across as vague, lacking substance, and filled with platitudes or trite remarks that add little value to the discussion?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

:lol:
Tarierona

Post by Tarierona »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:06 pm
Tarierona wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 5:10 pm

I don't think so.
I'm sure that's not true
What are you sure is not true? The Wikipedia suggestion, or the language suggestion? Some of the "Early Life" section of the "book" (which one can read in the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon) is identical to parts of the "Early Life" section of the Wikipedia page for Leonard Cohen -- same words, same details -- you can look them both up to see that it is true!

As to whether or not the language on the supposed "notebook page" on the front cover is a real language (if a notebook page is what it is meant to be), well, if you think it is a real language, which one is it? It's looks a bit like a random collection of words and letters, possibly from different languages and/or made-up languages! It is definitely not English, and since Leonard Cohen wrote in English, and the book is published in English, it does make one wonder why English was not used for the image!

Also, why are you so "sure" that we are mistaken about either of those things? We are talking about a book most likely written by an A.I., and a pretty stupid A.I. at that, if it can't even find actual photos of Leonard Cohen to use on the front and back covers, and instead uses photos of some unknown person (maybe not even a real person, but an A.I. generated one, for all we know). I would not be "sure" of much of anything, other than that this "book" is a bit of a scam!
Yeah, I misunderstood

Return to “Comments & Questions”