Nick Cave

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
B4real

Re: Nick Cave

Post by B4real »

And here he is arriving and taking his seat at Westminster Abbey -

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ni ... ORM%3DVDRE
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thanks Bev! I didn't get up early enough (or stay up late enough) to watch the Coronation in its entirety and didn't think of looking for this on YouTube! He is an interesting guy.
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure Vickie - this is like old times in that first "along the way" thread, ha!
I saw Nick on live TV outside and inside Westminster. I watched until the service was over there and then went to bed. Can't seem to stay up late these days ;-)
Just thinking about coronations, you know I actually remember the previous one albeit that I was a very young child but I've always had an excellent memory and still do :)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Vickie,

Thanks for posting Nick Cave’s justification to his incredulous fans for attending the coronation. 8)

It makes total sense, resonates with me too.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

5 hours of nick cave - broadcast from midnigth to 05.00 am this morning.

bbc 6 radio.
-------------------
00:00

6 Music Artist Collection
Nick Cave, In Their Own Words: Nick Cave
An intimate portrait of the enigmatic Nick Cave in his own words. First broadcast in 2018. (R)

01:00

Nick Cave, Nick Cave and the Birthday Party – Peel Sessions
Peel Sessions from Nick Cave and the Birthday Party. (R)

02:00

Nick Cave, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at Glastonbury
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at Glastonbury in 1998, 2009, 2014 and with Kylie in 2019. (R)

03:00

Nick Cave, Nick Cave at 6 Music and Radio 2
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds in session and conversation at BBC Radio 6 Music and Radio 2. (R)

04:00

Nick Cave, The Nick Cave Playlist
Celebrating Nick Cave's music, its roots and branches, influences and inspirations. (R)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl65
sebmelmoth2003

Nick Cave on bbc radio 4 - `this cultural life`

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

Nick Cave, the Australian born singer-songwriter and author, reveals the formative influences and experiences that have inspired his own creativity. With his band The Bad Seeds,

Cave is renowned for the darkness and drama of his narrative based work. His lyrics are often populated by flawed people doing bad things, but seeking redemption in love or God, or both.

His musical output is diverse, ranging from rock’n’roll, to piano-based love songs. The tragic death of his 15 year old son Arthur in 2015 has informed recent work, with songs about devastating loss, grief and love explored throughout the albums Ghosteen and Carnage. He’s also written novels and film scores.

Nick Cave talks to John Wilson about the influences of his father, an English teacher, and his mother, a school librarian, in encouraging his love of literature from a young age.

He recalls seeing The Johnny Cash Show on television at the age of 10 and being spellbound by the country music star, with whom he later worked.

He also remembers the life-changing effect of hearing Leonard Cohen’s Songs Of Life and Death album for the first time, and the profound influence the Canadian poet and songwriter had on his own lyrics.

He reveals that fellow Australian Barry Humphries was another artist who inspired his own work, having seen a Dame Edna Everage show in Melbourne in the early 1970s.

Nick Cave also discusses the impact that the death of his son had on his life, work and marriage.

Producer: Edwina Pitman

7.15 pm uk time - saturday 20th may.

repeated 2.15 pm - monday 22nd may, 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001m4dh
LisaLCFan

Re: Nick Cave on bbc radio 4 - `this cultural life`

Post by LisaLCFan »

sebmelmoth2003 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:32 pm ...He also remembers the life-changing effect of hearing Leonard Cohen’s Songs Of Life and Death album for the first time...

Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that album... :roll:
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ha! Lisa, interesting typo ;-)

Here's some more info connecting Nick to Leonard from the above mentioned BBC interview -
https://rockcelebrities.net/nick-cave-r ... ssed-away/

Nick Cave Recalls Leonard Cohen’s Message After His Son Passed Away
During a recent interview on BBC Radio 4’s ‘This Cultural Life,’ Nick Cave touched upon various topics, including the death of his son, Arthur. The conversation also included a discussion of a particular message the musician received from Leonard Cohen following the boy’s passing.

Tragedy struck Cave’s life when Arthur passed away at a young age after falling off a cliff in 2015. Apparently, upon this incident, the mourning father received an email of condolences from Cohen, which he remembered with sympathy in his statements.

The musician’s words about the matter read:

“At the time, that was out of the blue; it was a compassionate act. These things kind of change the way you see the world and understand your own potential. These small acts of kindness can have huge reverberating impact on things, and I think that helped me enormously. I remember that.”

The influence of Arthur’s death was seen in Cave’s music in the following years, like his 2016 album ‘Skeleton Tree’ and the 2019 release ‘Ghosteen.’ The track’ Girl in Amber,’ in particular, carried the echoes of grief the musician held during the recording process.
That video is in the link.

LC: "The loss, the full extent;
And simple kindness here,
The solitude of strength.
"
~ The Letters
sebmelmoth2003

heart and soul : Nick Cave talks to Cantaur

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

friday 30th june, 2023 - bbc world service radio.
--------------
Nick Cave on Grief, Faith and Music

Heart and Soul

The songwriter, poet and author, Nick Cave has a conversation about grief, faith and the spirituality of music with the Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby.

Nick writes hauntingly beautiful songs – the themes of which tackle deep questions about humanity – often drawing from biblical sources.

He was born in rural Victoria in Australia in the late 50s – a Cathedral chorister turned chaotic teenager who dropped out of art school to pursue a music career. After his first band ‘The Birthday Party’ broke up in 1983, he formed ‘Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds’ - and went on to have hits including The ‘Mercy Seat’, ‘Where the Wild Roses Grow’, and ‘Into My Arms’.

He and his second wife Susie moved to Brighton in the early 2000s, where they raised their twin sons, Arthur and Earl. In 2015, Arthur died in a tragic accident, at the age of 15, after falling from a cliff. Last year, Nick’s eldest son Jethro also died in Melbourne at the age of 31.

Much of Nick’s art in recent years has dealt with grief, suffering and forgiveness. He reflects on this in his remarkable book, ‘Faith, Hope and Carnage’, written during the pandemic with the journalist Sean O’Hagan. And he openly explores love and loss with those who write to him on his online forum called, ‘The Red Hand Files’.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct4pjm
sebmelmoth2003

nick cave - mary anne hobbs - bbc 6 music.

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

nick cave on the mary anne hobbs show - 10.30 am, bbc 6 music - wednesday 31st may, 2023.

don't know if it's a repeat of nick's previous appearance on the show or if he reappears live for our delectation.

previous show - 3 Mar 2013 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01r21kx

new cave manifestation?

wednesday 31st may, 2023 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001m1l8
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

apologies for the erroneous listing for mary anne hobbs on the 31st.

it was listed in the radio times (a uk listings magazine) as including nick cave but when i listened from beginning to end of the programme - no interview with nick and no apology/explanation from mary.

very disappointing!!

i've contacted the radio times asking WHAT HAPPENED?!!
sebmelmoth2003

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

nick cave on bbc world service arts hour - heard it trailed this morning so don't know where in the programme nick appears.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct4vl1
MaraLady

Post by MaraLady »

I am simply catching up on posts, and seeing above that Nick Cave called Leonard Cohen "the greatest song writer of them all" - puts a big smile on my face! :)
sebmelmoth2003

louis theroux meets nick cave

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

interview with louis in the london evening standard.

spotify podcast with nick cave

‘they spoke for over three hours,’ a man from spotify tells the standard journo hamish macbain later.

https://www.standard.co.uk/esmagazine/l ... 86397.html

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2023-06-06 ... an-france/
ChristopherJo

Post by ChristopherJo »

Nick Cave's connection to Leonard Cohen stems from his participation in the Tower of Song tribute concert in Montreal, where he paid homage to Cohen's influential musical legacy. Cave's captivating performances, enigmatic persona, and poetic lyricism have garnered him a reputation for being exceptionally cool. His unique blend of alternative rock, post-punk, and blues, coupled with his intense stage presence, contribute to his appeal among fans and critics alike. Cave's ability to evoke profound emotions through his music and maintain an air of mystery has solidified his status as a revered artist in the music industry.

Return to “Comments & Questions”