Music You're Listening To

This section is for all other music-related topics
Kush

Re: Music You're Listening To

Post by Kush »

Thanks for the link to Marlene Dietrich's Lili Marleen, Tony. I have heard it before but always nice to hear it again. The Rendezvous with Marlene album is a tribute to Marlene Dietrich I suppose and to all the songs recorded by her. It's nice to hear these old song with a contemporary jazz combo.
I was surprised to see Blowing in the Wind in that album and subsequently saw that indeed Marlene Dietrich has recorded a version of it.

I first heard this version of Just a Gigolo by Bing Crosby on an album about forty years ago !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzlVX7oYAk
Denihenri

Post by Denihenri »

Red City Radio, RVIVR, Off With Their Heads… all three bands have released new albums this year and have maintained or surpassed the expectations they set with their previous releases. Also, I'm anxious for the Tony Sly tribute album to be released in a couple days, and Iron Chic's new album set for next week.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Stumbled upon this clip on youtube . So much emotional control and expression of the lyrics. Its over 20 years old and had never heard of Lara Fabian before. Shame on me. Tell me what you think!

https://youtu.be/dVvlmpo5g9k
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

HugoD wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:04 pm ...never heard of Lara Fabian before. Shame on me. Tell me what you think!...
Listening to that song made me want to slit my wrists. Those lyrics are bloody depressing.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I discovered a new-to-me artist today -- Agnes Obel, a Danish singer-songwriter -- and I really like her music, maybe a few folks around here might like it too! She and her bandmates are very musically talented -- she plays piano, and there's a violinist, a cellist and a guitarist in the track below -- she writes interesting lyrics, and her music has a really good vibe (at least, I think so!).

Here is a song called Pass Them By:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfqgI-X3yA
Kush

Post by Kush »

Stumbled upon this clip on youtube . So much emotional control and expression of the lyrics. Its over 20 years old and had never heard of Lara Fabian before. Shame on me. Tell me what you think!

https://youtu.be/dVvlmpo5g9k
Nice ! I was reminded of this...

Caruso - Luciano Pavarotti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEdZfnULIg
Kush

Post by Kush »

Vesti La Giubba (with translation)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pieIgmpZ4Ro
murphybridget837

Re: For the People of Ukraine

Post by murphybridget837 »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:03 pm I've been listening to "We Are", by the Ukrainian composer Yuri Shevchenko (who sadly died in March). I recently heard this beautiful and touching piece of music performed by my local Symphony in honour of the people of Ukraine, and in the attached video it is magnificently performed by the orchestra at the Teatro Comunale di Bologna, with Oksana Lyniv conducting and Emanuele Benfenati on violin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_bxEdN3LWQ

(If you're around, Bev, I'm sure you'll enjoy the violin part!).
"We Are" by Yuri Shevchenko is indeed a poignant and moving piece of music, and it's heartening to hear that it's being performed in honor of the people of Ukraine. You have the video link, I'd love to see the performance!
murphybridget837

B4real wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:43 am I cannot ever imagine life without music – I would rather lose a limb than my hearing! I’ll never know how on earth Beethoven was able to write his Ninth symphony, which you know I’ve just listened to, when he was almost deaf plus have that awful tinnitus continuously ringing in his ears. The latter I can relate to and listening to music can be a mask for it.

Seeing that we are discussing all shades of music here at the moment I thought I would list my personal compilation of individual songs selected from the albums I’ve had over many years. I’ve inadvertently turned these songs into “album orphans” and some other songs have previously lived their lives alone as a single but now they have found a new family here :) Like most diversified families with numerous siblings, they have varying ways of communicating and seeing things from their own point of view. I have fond and/or sad memories of these songs. It’s truly magical how they have the power to instantly transport you back to that exact place and time with all those memories and senses so vivid in your mind. I play most of these songs on my violin but not so much lately – must remedy that!

There are a few songs I’ve added that generous forum members have made me aware of as well. So, to be reciprocal, I thought it might be a good idea for anyone who is interested in discovering or rediscovering songs or artists to check out this list. Because there are so many, I haven’t added any links. There are 108 songs. I hope you have fun with this and it makes your isolation a little easier to cope with.

Your compilation of "album orphan" songs sounds like a treasure trove of memories and emotions. Thank you for this 4 year old post I know have a new music list to listen this coming weekend.
Stanley baxendell

Post by Stanley baxendell »

I'm in a bit of a mellow funny mood, I'm listening to Jackson Browne..album late for the sky...track, before the deluge.
murphybridget837

B4real wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:22 am Hi Alan et al,

You have reminded me that I fortuitously found these four CDs recently at my local library.
Some of you will know that I am rather partial to Irish artists and their music :)
Below are some of my favourites from those albums -

ancient land.jpg
Celtic Woman: Ancient Land
• Moorlough Shore
• County Down
• Love And Honour (I absolutely love this song. The violin here is to die for!)
• Mna Na Heireann (Women Of Ireland)
• Shenandoah
• Long Journey Home
• Ae Fond Kiss
• Faith's Song
• Be Still
• Going Home (same title but not LC's song)

Celtic Woman: Emerald Musical Gems
• Caledonia
• Amazing Grace
• The New Ground (instrumental)
-----

mythology.jpg
Celtic Thunder: Mythology
• Danny Boy – a different version (a fiddle air version of this song was played at mum’s funeral service)
• Katie
• Tears of Hercules
• The Isle of Innisfree

inspirational.jpg
Celtic Thunder: Inspirational
• May The Road Rise To Meet You
• Be Still, My Soul
• The Preacher & The Stranger
• To Where You Are

Celtic Woman: Ancient Land - Here’s a wonderful live version of Love And Honour by Tara McNeill - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlMcbanqLQ8

Btw - I’ve tried to find the single separate sheet music for this and so far, no joy :(
This CD's seems to be a good candidate for FLAC bootlegs.
murphybridget837

B4real wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:08 am Hey 4,
As you're perusing this thread, I thought you might be interested in what music I'm listening to at this very moment in time ;-) It's a CD I got from my local library. Maybe not to everybody's taste (and not in English and some instrumental) but I find it excellent to listen to and unwind after all the hustle and bustle of Christmas.

gaelic scotland.jpg

Tracklist:
01 Gràdh geal mo chridh'
02 The Nameless Clan
03 O ‘s toil ‘s gu rò thoil leam
04 Chì mi’n toman
05 M'eudail air do shùilean donna - Làrach do thacaidean
06 The DTs Set
07 Gur e mis' tha gu tinn
08 Uamh an oir
09 Thig an smeòrach as t-earrach
10 Mor nighean a' ghibearlain
11 The Musical Priest
12 Ghràidh an tig thu-
13 Ri fuaim an taibh
14 Tha mo spiorad cianail
15 The Para Handy Set
16 Solus m'aigh
17 Waulking Song

I love no 16 Solus m'aigh (Light of Hope) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5HVWvseqE
I must get the sheet music to play on my violin when I get it fixed properly :)
Thank you for sharing the album and the youtube link.

Return to “Other music”