Leonard Cohen live in Edinburgh, 1979.

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Andrew McGeever

Leonard Cohen live in Edinburgh, 1979.

Post by Andrew McGeever »

I am typing this message while glancing to my left: on the wall there is a photograph of Leonard on stage in the Odeon, December 1979.
I would love to correspond with those who were there!
.....will he return again?
Will he perform live on stage again?

P.S. I missed his gig at the Isle Of Wight festival in 1970. So if there's anyone out there in cyberspace who can recall his performance, please let me know!!!

I guess I'm a fan
Andrew McGeever.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I have seen LC in concert from 1970 at the Royal Albert Hall on numerous occasions, Victoria Palace, Hammersmith Odeon and Isle of Wight

I can honestly say on all occasions he far exceeded my expectations. The only thing is he is the encore king and I missed my bus home a few times.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Paula,
With all those concerts and bus-missing encores, are you the record holder for highest number of songs heard Live? Wish I had such an accounting ~ what's a long walk home, anyway? :)
~Lizzytysh
Paula

Post by Paula »

I lived at Clapham, London when I went to those concerts. I tried to go to one concert a week of any good artist but LC is not any good artist he is the best. If you have never heard him live you might not appreciate that his voice is actually better live and his dry sense of humour comes out in all the little anecdotes all thru the evening. He also takes the mick out of himself and adds little twists to the songs. I worked out he toured about ever five years and I was lucky enough to see him on every tour somewhere
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's excellent, Paula. Yes, my former husband had it worked out that Leonard put out an album about every five years...and neither of us being Internet connected at the time, wondered why he was late. With the advent of Ten New Songs, many questions were answered, as it was just pre-TNS that I discovered these sites.

I saw him Live in downtown Chicago at a small club called The Quiet Knight in 1975. All that you've said about seeing him that way is true. How fortunate for you to have seen him each tour.

~Lizzytysh
George.Wright

Tours

Post by George.Wright »

Having seen him in Dublin in 1988 on "Im your man", he is very witty and intimate to the audience and it is almost a spiritual experience depending on how much you are a fan to the man.
Georges
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Last week I met someone who was at Leonard's concert in Edinburgh, 1979. It was by chance: every Thursday there is an open music evening in my local bar, with up to 25 instruments playing together. In Irish, it's called "the craic". Some months ago I was invited to read my poetry, and have done so, on a regular basis.
I usually offer two poems (plus introductions) per evening, and my reading of "Mythologies and Orangies" prompted one of the leading musicians to tell me "Andrew, you've caught the spirit of the man. I saw him in Edinburgh, and I'll tell you......".
And he didn't, but I asked him to put pen to paper and write about that night. Today I received a letter from him, and will post it, word for word, on this string, but not tonight. It's late, and I have work tomorrow.
Andrew.
Hellebore

Re: Leonard Cohen live in Edinburgh, 1979.

Post by Hellebore »

Andrew McGeever wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:21 pm I am typing this message while glancing to my left: on the wall there is a photograph of Leonard on stage in the Odeon, December 1979.
I would love to correspond with those who were there!
.....will he return again?
Will he perform live on stage again?

P.S. I missed his gig at the Isle Of Wight festival in 1970. So if there's anyone out there in cyberspace who can recall his performance, please let me know!!!

I guess I'm a fan
Andrew McGeever.
I was at that concert, and I thought it was great. He had such good musicians playing with him, and he wasn't acting the star, he was one of the gang. And he gave them lotos of credit!

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”