casting call - Hydra

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Wybe
Site Admin

casting call - Hydra

Post by Wybe »

FB_IMG_1679778488639.jpg
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
HugoD

Re: casting call - Hydra

Post by HugoD »

The fools, they should have scheduled this audition at the LC meeting weekend in May. :lol:
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

A new mini-series about Leonard Cohen? Does anybody know anything about it, aside from the fact that they are looking for extras?
Dem

Post by Dem »

Yes, there is some publicity about it in the greek press:

https://www.protothema.gr/culture/artic ... gurismata/

According to the newspaper above the mini-series will be titled "So Long, Marianne"
and will be based on Kari Hesthamar's book "So Long, Marianne: A Love Story".

Will be directed by Øystein Karlsen («Lillyhammer»/Netflix) and Bronwen Hughes («Breaking Bad»/Netflix).
The shootings will be on Hydra of course but also in other places like Oslo, New York and Montreal.

So maybe there will be some shooting going on at the time of the next Hydra meetup in May.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thanks, Dem, for that info! Cheers!
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I really don't think this is for us. Filming wiiI, I suspect, take a long time at an inappropriate date. We've all got better things to do.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Dem

Post by Dem »

Here is one more major newspaper report about it:

https://www.kathimerini.gr/culture/tv/5 ... tai-seira/

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:25 am A new mini-series about Leonard Cohen? Does anybody know anything about it, aside from the fact that they are looking for extras?
Seems this is the same mini-series and it seems the major players have been cast ;-)
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/le ... 235580865/

Leonard Cohen Series ‘So Long, Marianne’ Casts Alex Wolff as Singer, Thea Sofie Loch Næss as His Muse
Alex Wolff will play Leonard Cohen in a new series about the Canadian icon and his muse Marianne Ihlen.

Thea Sofie Loch Næss (“The Last Kingdom,” “Delete Me”) will portray Ihlen in the show, which is called “So Long, Marianne” — the title of one of Cohen’s songs about his partner. Other cast members include Anna Torv (“The Newsreader,” “The Last of Us”) as Charmian Clift and Noah Taylor (“Preacher,” “Peaky Blinders”) as George Johnston.

The show is a co-production between Norwegian broadcaster NRK and Canada’s Crave, the streaming service owned by Bell Media. Cineflix Rights is distributing the series globally. Principal photography on the show began on March 24, with shooting taking place on the Greek island of Hydra — where Cohen first met Ihlen — as well as Ihlen’s home country of Norway, and the late singer’s hometown of Montreal, Canada.

“So Long, Marianne” is billed as an “intimate tale of two, lonely people falling in love, during a period of their life when they are trying to figure out who they are and their place in the world, while one is becoming one of the most famous singers of all time.”

The majority of the series is focused on the picturesque Greek island of Hydra where the couple lived during the 1960s. There, they joined Australian novelists Charmian Clift and her husband George Johnston, the matriarch and patriarch of a bohemian group of writers, artists, poets and outcasts who were exploring a new world of free love, drugs and artistic freedom, while also experiencing the rivalries and jealousy that accompanied their intense, interwoven lives.

Wolff will star this fall in Christopher Nolan’s “Oppenheimer.” The star is also reteaming with “Pig” filmmaker Michael Sarnoski on Paramount Pictures’ “A Quiet Place: Day One” alongside Lupita Nyong’o, set for a 2024 release.

Developed by Ingeborg Klyve (“Exit”) and Tony Wood (“Irvine Welsh’s Crime”) and written for the screen by Øystein Karlsen (“Dag”), who is also among the directors, and Jo Nesbø (“Harry Hole”), “So Long, Marianne” is co-produced by Letters From Leonard, Tanweer Productions and Connect3.

Executive producers are Ales Ree for NRK, Richard Tulk-Hart and Tony Wood, Vegard Stenberg Eriksen and Ingeborg Klyve for Redpoint Productions, Dionyssis Samiotis and Nancy Kokolaki for Tanweer Productions, and André Barro and Pablo Salzman for Connect3.

Øystein Karlsen, series creator for Redpoint Productions, said: “It feels like the way the world is right now, a series that celebrates life and love, with a core about finding your way in life, is needed more than ever.”

Marianne Furevold-Boland, head of drama for NRK, added: “Øystein Karlsen has shown in his previous projects that he can create original dramas that are both exciting and emotional. We believe this project has the potential to become a timeless drama with a universal appeal — it is about life and the pursuit of happiness.”
Justin Stockman, VP of English content development and programming at Bell Media, said: “As Crave continues to expand its output of original content in both English and French, we’re excited to be part of this unique co-production opportunity and lean into the strengths of our international partners to deliver stories that translate, and resonate around the world.”

James Durie, head of scripted at Cineflix Rights, said: “’So Long, Marianne’ must be one of the most iconic love stories of the last century. The events the series depicts, the beautiful locations in which it’s set and with an incredible cast, makes it a drama that will enthrall audiences around the world, whether they know the story already or are coming to it fresh.”

Wolff is repped by WME, Untitled and Definition Entertainment. Loch Næss is repped by Actors in Scandinavia, Independent Talent Group, Gallant Management, Sloane, Offer, Weber & Dern. Torv is repped by United Management and WME. Taylor is repped by Lou Coulson Associates in London and Andrew Freedman in the U.S.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:42 pm Seems this is the same mini-series and it seems the major players have been cast ;-)
https://variety.com/2023/film/global/le ... 235580865/

Leonard Cohen Series ‘So Long, Marianne’ Casts Alex Wolff as Singer, Thea Sofie Loch Næss as His Muse
Thank you for this info!

Reading the article you posted caused a bit of déjà vu, and I recalled an earlier thread (from 2020, as it turns out) about another film about Leonard and Marianne, also filmed on Hydra and also entitled "So Long Marianne" (link below). If this earlier film was released, I must have missed it. Does anybody know what became of it?

https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... or#p376880
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Probably, the 2020 film collapsed for lack of funding and/or the film rights expired. Many films don't make it to the finishing post.

This 2020 trailer seems particularly weird: why set the conversation with the bronzed Greek on a towpath when it took place at a bank in central London? And I don't recall mention of Hydra at that first exchange: I thought Leonard got an invitation to the island from Ghika's wife, only to receive a frosty response from an antisemitic housekeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DWuNY7dnE
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
B4real

Post by B4real »

My pleasure Lisa,
and I also looked at that link first before I posted the above article just to make sure I had the right "So Long Marianne" ;-)

hydriot,
I was also thinking along the same lines.
And in another thread I recently posted in there is also no more word on the progress of that film too.

https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 26#p380026
B4real wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:51 am Still no word about the film that was going to be made from this book.
Still wondering who will be playing Leonard in it ;-)

And thinking about the title of this "Casting Call" thread, maybe they might require some forum members with expert LC knowledge in a couple of other cities they will be filming in, namely Montreal and Oslo.......hummm ;-)
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

hydriot wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:06 pm Probably, the 2020 film collapsed for lack of funding and/or the film rights expired. Many films don't make it to the finishing post.

This 2020 trailer seems particularly weird: why set the conversation with the bronzed Greek on a towpath when it took place at a bank in central London? And I don't recall mention of Hydra at that first exchange: I thought Leonard got an invitation to the island from Ghika's wife, only to receive a frosty response from an antisemitic housekeeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5DWuNY7dnE
Wow, that trailer was shockingly bad! The actor playing Leonard looks to be about 6 foot 5 -- he towered over the other actors! -- hilarious! And then there was his accent and vocal delivery -- oh my gosh, that was just painful! Perhaps the dreadful acting had something to do with the film disappearing...
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

This article below suggests that filming has already commenced.

I expect someone will confirm this shortly, as our gathering there kicks off in less than a week.

https://greekreporter.com/2023/05/19/le ... ra-island/

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
B4real

Post by B4real »

More cast members have been added to this mini series.
https://www.tv-eh.com/tag/so-long-marianne/

Crave and NRK announced today additional Canadian cast members for the highly anticipated new drama series SO LONG, MARIANNE, co-produced by Montréal’s Connect3 (part of the Cineflix Media group of companies), about the legendary love story of Canadian singer and poet Leonard Cohen, and Marianne Ihlen.

Joining the lead cast of Alex Wolff (Leonard), Thea Sofie Loch Næss (Marianne), Anna Torv (Charmian Clift), Noah Taylor (George Johnston), and Peter Stormare (Irving Layton); is Macha Grenon, alongside special appearances from Éric Bruneau, Kim Lévesque Lizotte, and singer-songwriter Patrick Watson.

Macha Grenon plays Leonard’s mother, Masha Cohen; while Éric Bruneau takes on the role of Cohen’s long-time friend Robert Hershorn; and Kim Lévesque Lizotte plays Monique Mercure, who runs into Marianne at a party in Montréal. Patrick Watson has a cameo as a singer who performs for Cohen on a rooftop.

Return to “News”