Nick Cave

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
vlcoats

Nick Cave

Post by vlcoats »

I am curious about Nick Cave. We saw him at the Tower of Song tribute in Montreal, so I know of him peripherally. Why is he tied to Leonard, and what is it that makes him so cool?
Any insights?
Thanks always,
Vickie
its4inthemorning

Re: Nick Cave

Post by its4inthemorning »

vicoats, are you sure Nick Cave was at the Tower of Song tribute concert?

As for his connection with Leonard, I always assumed that it was because he was an early fan and covered a number of Leonard's songs, not necessarily just "easy" ones like "Hallelujah, but even the daring ones like "Avalanche." I am sure others can elaborate on his connection with Leonard far better than I.

Nick Cave is from Australia, perhaps there are some Cohen fans from way down there who can chime in? I have read some forum posts by an "Alan," and also by someone who goes by the name "B4real," they are both from Australia and are quite knowledgeable about all things Cohen.

its4inthemorning
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

You are right, it wasn't Montreal I was thinking of, but his performance on the I'm Your Man DVD! I am not sure if that is proof that it made a big impression on me or proof that it didn't. It would have been nice if he really had been in Montreal though, right?

Yes, I did notice that he was born in the great land of Australia. And I knew about his singing Avalanche but not sure why I know that now, because for some reason I was thingking that is what he sang in Montreal. Wishful thinking I guess.

Thanks again!
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hey you two and all,
I have to say that I didn’t know much about Nick Cave until my old friend (Nautilass on the forum) filled me in about him at the time we first went to see Leonard in Brisbane 2009. At that stage she knew much more about him than she did about Leonard. As you may have read in the Everything Else section, she passed away four years after Leonard did. Besides Leonard, I am always reminded of her when someone mentions Nick Cave.

I can’t tell you any more about Nick than you will find online. I do like his second time covering Leonard’s Avalanche and I love the violin here -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_iveMTyxH4

This was one of Nautilass’ favourite Nick Cave songs, “Red Right Hand” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxePKps87k

Here’s an Aussie duo of Nick and Kylie with a haunting song, “Where The Wild Roses Grow” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDpnjE1LUvE
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Sorry, Vickie, I can add nothing to what Bev has posted.
I didn't even know that until I read it this morning.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Well, that was something (the YouTube links).

I read in an article about Leonard and Bob Dylan that, "Bob Dylan, somehow, has always managed to occupy the niche Cohen carved out for himself", and watching the links from B4, it seems the same could apply perhaps to Nick Cave when it comes to Leonard's supposed dark side. Although I know next to nothing about Nick Cave, I would guess in his essence he may be no more shrouded in gloom than Leonard himself.

One thing I found when doing a quick consultation with Google is that Nick Cave has a website called The Red Hand Files, where he invites, "Ask a question. You can ask me anything. There will be no moderator." I am sure he cannot answer every question, but the fact that he maintains such a website and apparently responds earnestly at all seems to be something unusual and different to me.

Thanks for chiming in from OZ my friends!

Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Always my pleasure, Vickie!
B4real wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:13 am ...she passed away four years after Leonard did. Besides Leonard, I am always reminded of her when someone mentions Nick Cave.
A happenstance moment re the above just occurred again. I had been thinking about my friend while I was shopping this morning when I heard someone calling my name. I turned around and saw her daughter. I haven't seen her since her mother died. She moved away straight after it happened. Interesting how things come about.

Still speaking of 'endings', I thought I'd add this short video with Nick talking about Leonard and his last album - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f2pBW2XOoY
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
sebmelmoth2003

Nick Cave - soul music

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

vlcoats

Re: Nick Cave - soul music

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you for the links. Very interesting. I have recently been following The Red Hand Files.
I think I will try The Boatman's Call.
Thanks again,
Vickie
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Vickie,

I’m a bit late joining this conversation, but I see my friends Alan and Bev from “down under” have contributed. Anyway, better late than never. ;-)

Nick Cave was one onf the many performers who performed in the Came So Far For Beauty tribute concerts organised by Hal Wilner, which amongst other locations was performed at least twice in Sydney in early 2005, one of which I attended. It was a truly brilliant astonishing concert and Nick Cave performed at least two songs.

Following this, extensive footage from one of these concerts was used in the documentary film of the same year (2005), Leonard Cohen: I’m Your Man. In this very worthwhile film Nick Cave makes a few comments about what Leonard means to him, in particular referring to growing up in Wangaratta, a country town here in Victoria, where he first discovered Leonard Cohen as a teenager. A female peer brought along ‘Songs Of Love And Hate’ for him to listen to and he was immediately blown away by and hooked on Leonard from that initial exposure. 8)

Clearly, that pivotal experience influenced Cave’s own style and he has of course subsequently paid homage to Leonard in covering Avalanche, Suzanne and I’m Your Man. He has also unreservedly articulated that “Leonard Cohen was the greatest songwriter of them all”. :)

I would recommend you get to view this film for yourself (however you're able to) to see Nick Cave’s actual comments in this regard.

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hello Darby!

Thank you for the suggestion! I will definitely need to watch "Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man" again, because I don't recall much about Nick Cave's contribution to it. It's been a while, and I was absorbing so much about Leonard in such a short time that some of it just washed over me. I need to give it another chance to sink in. ;-)

Thanks again,

Vickie
sebmelmoth2003

Nick Cave - cave things

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

The Cave Things installation arrives at Dover Street Market, London on Friday 17th March and runs until Thursday 20th April.

The installation, the first ever dedicated Cave Things destination, will feature a diverse range of Cave Things products, personally curated by Nick Cave and each giving an insight into his many sources of inspiration.

The range includes apparel, books, homeware, prints and limited edition recordings, as well as new Cave Things products exclusive to Dover Street Market and some previously sold out items from the Cave Things archive.

'I have wanted to make a real life shop since Cave Things was born as a website in 2020, and nowhere could be better than DSM to host this curious little installation, which I have designed and curated with a bit of help from my wife, Susie.'

Nick Cave

Dover Street Market London
18-22 Haymarket
London SW1Y 4DG

Friday 17th March - Thursday 20th April

https://www.standard.co.uk/esmagazine/n ... 67094.html

https://cavethings.com/pages/dover-street-market
B4real

Post by B4real »

Nick Cave defends decision to attend King Charles’s coronation
He is not the first person you would expect to line up to pledge allegiance to the crown, but Australian musician Nick Cave has confirmed he will attend the coronation of King Charles III.

Cave, who was born in rural Victoria in 1957 but has lived in the UK since the 80s, is part of the small delegation of prominent Australians invited to the coronation alongside Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-03/ ... /102296030
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hi B4!! This is what Nick had to say about it in his Red Hand Files...

The Red Hand Files
ISSUE #235 / MAY 2023

QUEEN ELIZABETH I GOING IN PROCESSION TO BLACKFRIARS IN 1600
(AFTER ROBERT PEAKE THE ELDER)
Why the fuck are you going to the King's coronation?
JON, BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA

I see that you will be attending the coronation as part of the Australian delegation. Are you a Monarchist? Why go?
ADRIAN, CAMPERDOWN, AUSTRALIA

The coronation. Seriously????
ROGER, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA

Nick Cave going to the coronation??! What would the young Nick Cave have thought of that?!
MATT, LEEDS, UK

Dear Jon, Adrian, Roger and Matt,

I’ll make this a quick one because I’ve got to work out what I am going to wear to the Coronation.

I am not a monarchist, nor am I a royalist, nor am I an ardent republican for that matter; what I am also not is so spectacularly incurious about the world and the way it works, so ideologically captured, so damn grouchy, as to refuse an invitation to what will more than likely be the most important historical event in the UK of our age. Not just the most important, but the strangest, the weirdest.

I once met the late Queen at an event at Buckingham Palace for ‘Aspirational Australians living in the UK’ (or something like that). It was a mostly awkward affair, but the Queen herself, dressed in a salmon coloured twin-set, seemed almost extraterrestrial and was the most charismatic woman I have ever met. Maybe it was the lighting, but she actually glowed. As I told my mother – who was the same age as the Queen and, like the Queen, died in her nineties – about that day, her old eyes filled with tears. When I watched the Queen’s funeral on the television last year I found, to my bafflement, that I was weeping myself as the coffin was stripped of the crown, orb and sceptre and lowered through the floor of St. George’s Chapel. I guess what I am trying to say is that, beyond the interminable but necessary debates about the abolition of the monarchy, I hold an inexplicable emotional attachment to the Royals – the strangeness of them, the deeply eccentric nature of the whole affair that so perfectly reflects the unique weirdness of Britain itself. I’m just drawn to that kind of thing – the bizarre, the uncanny, the stupefyingly spectacular, the awe-inspiring.

And as for what the young Nick Cave would have thought – well, the young Nick Cave was, in all due respect to the young Nick Cave, young, and like many young people, mostly demented, so I’m a little cautious around using him as a benchmark for what I should or should not do. He was cute though, I’ll give him that. Deranged, but cute.

So, with all that in mind, I am looking forward to going the Coronation. I think I’ll wear a suit.
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Such a good response by Nick Cave to incredibly annoying questioners.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!

Return to “Comments & Questions”