David Lindley RIP

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
B4real

David Lindley RIP

Post by B4real »

David Lindley, guitarist best known for work with Jackson Browne, dies at 78

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... r-AA18cg1R
"David Lindley, a multitalented guitarist who was a fixture in Los Angeles recording studios during the 1970s and ’80s, died on Friday. He was 78.
... in 1967. That year, Lindley landed his first notable session work when he played a variety of instruments on Leonard Cohen's debut album, "Songs of Leonard Cohen."
I am familiar with his work and love his impromptu violin and guitar playing, especially with Jackson Browne.
He will be missed...
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Re: David Lindley RIP

Post by LisaLCFan »

For me, Lindley is "best known" for his 1981 cover of "Mercury Blues" -- that was one of my absolute favourite songs in the early 80's -- my friends and I listened to it excessively and repeatedly (and loudly!)! I was also in an air-guitar band at the time, and we "played" that song a lot, thus Lindley and that one song is an indelible part of my teenaged memories.

RIP Mr. Lindley.
merton

Post by merton »

Hi,

Thanks for that B4Real and LisaLCFan Yes indeed. Rest in Peace, David. Be it solo, El Ray X or with Cooder, Zevon or Jackson Browne I loved your sound. I saw him on tv recently backing Linda Ronstadt in concert. The first clip is with Ry Cooder, Joachim Cooder, Bobby King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEFNZJ ... TheChoke77

Mercury Blues at 6 minutes. A good version of Jesus on the Mainline before that.

A more powerful version of Mercury Blues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSK ... urboognish

Dust down your air guitar one more time Lisa. I'm afraid I need earplugs at this stage of living to accommodate David's sound.

Rest in Peace, David.

All the best,
merton
B4real

Post by B4real »

Nice to hear your responses, Lisa and merton.

Thought I'd add this. Some of you know the songs etc I’m having for my own funeral. Besides Leonard, they all have a connection to him in some way. For the last song I decided that I was going out with a bang and not a whimper!
I chose “Running on Empty” sung by Jackson Browne with David Lindley playing his rocking steel guitar to the end of the song. He, in fact, has the last say on that day....
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

merton wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:59 pm ...Dust down your air guitar one more time Lisa. I'm afraid I need earplugs at this stage of living to accommodate David's sound...
Hey merton, thanks for the blast from the past with those two versions of Mercury Blues! -- I only knew the studio album version back in the day (which I also listened to again, for old time's sake!). Those are some very loud guitars, which are not quite my thing anymore -- I traded my old electric air guitar for a real nylon string classical guitar some years ago!

And Bev, you certainly won't have to worry about needing earplugs for David's guitar on that final day, but perhaps having a few sets on hand for guests might be something to consider? ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:51 am And Bev, you certainly won't have to worry about needing earplugs for David's guitar on that final day, but perhaps having a few sets on hand for guests might be something to consider?
Ha! Lisa,
That made me laugh because I have written instructions in bold red type to my undertaker, and I quote,
"PLEASE TURN UP THE VOLUME ON THAT LAST TRACK, I want to go out with a bang and not a whimper!!
...and as this last song says, 'If I can get you to smile before I leave :) Thank you!!' "

My hearing is perfect now, so maybe I'll still hear then ;-)
Hopefully that last song won't be sung any time soon. Thank you, David, for your music on it!
murphybridget837

Post by murphybridget837 »

B4real wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:21 am David Lindley, guitarist best known for work with Jackson Browne, dies at 78

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... r-AA18cg1R
"David Lindley, a multitalented guitarist who was a fixture in Los Angeles recording studios during the 1970s and ’80s, died on Friday. He was 78.
... in 1967. That year, Lindley landed his first notable session work when he played a variety of instruments on Leonard Cohen's debut album, "Songs of Leonard Cohen."
I am familiar with his work and love his impromptu violin and guitar playing, especially with Jackson Browne.
He will be missed...
Lindley's contributions to the music world have been significant, and his presence will surely be missed by fans and fellow musicians alike.

Return to “Related Artists”