never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
AlanM

Re: never-ending psychology

Post by AlanM »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:40 pm
B4real wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:08 am ...Whatever way you choose, it's about being freely true to yourself....

The thing is, one has to know oneself, first, and only then can they be true to themselves! I have no problem doing that, but I do not believe that it is a universal condition.
By way of coincidence I saw this quote in my morning {Murdoch} newspaper:
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. The quote came from English author Alan Watts (1915 - 1973).
Yes, I do realise there is a difference between knowing oneself and defining oneself. It's a bit like time - easy to understand, but close to impossible to describe.

Good old Dr Google led me to this and other pages: https://www.goalcast.com/2018/01/17/alan-watts-quotes/
2 others that appealed to me are: Muddy water is best cleared by leaving it alone.
You are an aperture through which the universe is looking at and exploring itself.

This one may amuse Solong: No one is more dangerously insane than one who is sane all the time: he is like a steel bridge without flexibility, and the order of his life is rigid and brittle.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by B4real »

"You were the sensitive woman,
I was the very reverend Freud"
~ Is This What You Wanted

haha! I note your words, Mr and Mrs Sigmund Freud ;-)

Alan, I laughed out loud at Alan's quotes!

.... And the happenstances keep coming :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending philosophy

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:47 am ...Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth. ...Yes, I do realise there is a difference between knowing oneself and defining oneself. It's a bit like time - easy to understand, but close to impossible to describe...

I have always thought that one of the problems is that words are not really adequate when it comes to trying to explain things that exist beyond the realm of words, and which require other means to understand them. A definition (and even a description) is, by definition, made up of words, and words cannot reveal the essence of a thing (although they may help to get one closer to knowing and understanding it). I believe that one can only learn so much from reading books and from listening to what other people say -- the knowledge that one acquires from those things will be limited, and one must seek beyond words (or perhaps between/behind/underneath them?) to find deeper meaning and understanding, of oneself and of so many other things.

To be honest (I am always honest!), glib phrases (such as the ones you quoted!), which seem to have become a rampant phenomenon, tend to irritate me rather profoundly! In fact, even though I am a peaceful and gentle person, when somebody throws a platitude at me, I actually feel as if I am on the verge of becoming violent. Have you ever seen the movie Mystery Men? It is quite amusing, and it has a character named Sphinx (played by Wes Studi) who is always spouting platitudes and truisms, which of course makes one realise how absurd they are. (Well, obviously not everybody realises that, thus the proliferation of these supposedly profound truths in 15 words or less.)

Incidentally, some (and perhaps many) of those "famous quotes" that one finds all over the internet (and just about everywhere else) are of quite dubious provenance, and may never actually have been written or uttered by those to whom they are attributed. Never believe everything you read! ;-)

Cheers!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:16 am ...haha! I note your words, Mr and Mrs Sigmund Freud ...

Are you referring to me? If so, it's Dr. Freud, if titles are being used. ;-)
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:30 am Are you referring to me? If so, it's Dr. Freud, if titles are being used. ;-)
hehe! Maybe I should have used this alternate verse Leonard sang many times in concert in the seventies ;-)

"You were the sensuous woman
I was the very reverend Doctor Freud"
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Yes, I remember hearing Leonard sing those versions! I am not, actually, a Freudian (nor a Reverend), but I am a Doctor.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:36 am
Geoffrey wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:35 am ...a child has fun, does what he/she likes without trying to impress...
That's how I live my life! Does that make me a child, or just an adult who doesn't care about impressing others?
whatever it makes you, no complaints from me :-)
--------------------------------------------------------------
Leonard wrote: his lips and his fingers were blue
lips & fingers.jpg
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

AlanM wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:47 am
No one is more dangerously insane than one who is sane all the time: he is like a steel bridge without flexibility, and the order of his life is rigid and brittle.

Ha! After ten years here posting thoughts and opinions on music, a subject in which I have no background or training, here is something that my education qualifies me to respond to. Steel most certainly has flexibility and is not rigid and brittle. Almost all steel applications require some degree of flexibility. For example, steel bridges need to be flexible enough to withstand the vibrations caused by the traffic traveling over them. Or consider flatbed trucks where the steel frame arches upward; the flexibility of the frame is what allows the frame to become more level as the truck is loaded. The flexibility of steel is engineered by controlling the composition of the alloy and by heat treatment.

Alan, I apologize for the inclusion of this information here, I did not do so to cause you stress, burnish your reputation, cause you fatigue, or cast you in a bad light. I posted it only to iron out the misconception about steel being rigid--hopefully quenching your thirst for knowledge--and I had no intention to slag you off.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 am ...his lips and his fingers were blue...

That is an interesting portrait. It strikes me as sort of 1920's art-deco-meets-cubism (or at least, it reminds me of elements of those styles of art). I am not sure if I like it (as a portrait), but it is intriguing to look at the various angles and colours.

Cheers!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

its4inthemorning wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 am
AlanM wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:47 am
Alan, I apologize for the inclusion of this information here, I did not do so to cause you stress, burnish your reputation, cause you fatigue, or cast you in a bad light. I posted it only to iron out the misconception about steel being rigid--hopefully quenching your thirst for knowledge--and I had no intention to slag you off.

I was just passing on someone else's quote as something for Solong to cling to in his miserable life.
I appreciate the wordsmithery (like that one?) you used in your final sentences.

Alan
Last edited by AlanM on Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:32 am quote=Leonard]
his lips and his fingers were blue
Blue Alert, Blue Alert!!
And that's a great program ;-)

Geoffrey, I have a question I've been meaning to ask you for a while now.
Are you left handed or are you just drawing your left hand with your right hand ;-)

https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 95#p373632
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:28 am Are you left handed or are you just drawing your left hand with your right hand ;-)
good question. i am right-handed most of the time. left-handed primarily when eating.

the idea was stolen from a picture seen in an old music magazine. i adjusted it and added a daffodil. if drawing my right hand i take a photo and use that, for example as in the picture with the shoe on page 39.
https://www.quora.com/What-did-Picasso- ... lse-say-it

by the way, and you may know this, but many right-handed people create portraits with the face looking left, because it's easier to draw the sloping nose and forehead. well, that's my theory anyway ;-)
https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index ... -pictures/
LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:11 am I am not sure if I like it (as a portrait), but it is intriguing to look at the various angles and colours.
i could not have asked for a better compliment, lisa :-)
norlandia.jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

I was guessing it was the latter, so thank you for that confirmation, Geoffrey :)
I am left-handed in writing, art (and eating ;-)) But I do use my right hand for some other things including art.
And what you said about making it easier for you to draw a nose makes sense.
Thanks for the links. I was aware of a lot of the info. I find research like this so interesting!

EDIT: It could be that I may have to change one of my signature quotes :razz:
We Finally Know Why People Are Left Or Right-Handed -
https://www.iflscience.com/brain/finall ... ghthanded/
The reasons for our left or right-handedness -
https://news.rub.de/english/press-relea ... handedness
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

B4real wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:14 am ...It could be that I may have to change one of my signature quotes...

Indeed. So, when people accuse others of having no spine, would that make the spineless person ambidextrous, or neither-handed?
B4real

Post by B4real »

LisaLCFan wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:17 am
B4real wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:14 am ...It could be that I may have to change one of my signature quotes...
Indeed. So, when people accuse others of having no spine, would that make the spineless person ambidextrous, or neither-handed?
As this occurs to a different extent in the left and the right spinal cord......
Taking the above quote from the last link into account, my adjusted signature quote could read,
"Only left-handers are in their right spine"....just doesn't have the same meaningful ring to it ;-)

It also makes you speculate further about the spineless person :razz:

(PS: I think it should actually read "in the left and the right of the spinal cord" - maybe the doctor knows :) )

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”