never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan »

On November 12,
Geoffrey wrote: ...there is no way i can produce anything as peaceful, fragile and beautiful as your amaryllis. there is a gentleness in your style that i totally lack - it makes me envious....

Clearly, in the intervening days, you have found a way to do so! Your holiday greeting card is lovely, very sweet and colourful!

May I ask: how did you do the background? The texture is very interesting (and I love the colour!).

Nice pic of Leonard, too!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:54 am norway is cold but i like where i'm living, and there's music on the radio all through the evening :-)
Thanks for your season’s greetings, Geoffrey!
Hopefully, I will brighten and warm up your day by sending you some sunshine and heat – too much of it here at the moment – mid 30’s in Celsius temperature for over 2 weeks and lots of bushfires. I’d kill for a snowflake or two!

Also, Santa might be a little late this year in delivering his presents in the northern hemisphere because at the moment he’s taking a break down under in sunny Queensland, Australia and having fun with the local friendly and talented fauna ;-)
christmas-in-australia-surfing_santa.jpg
And some astute advice for beginner surfers from Leonard about being as one with the sea ....

“if you don't become the ocean
you'll be seasick
every day” ~ LC
An excerpt from his poem "Good Advice For Someone Like Me"

All the best!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Your holiday greeting card is lovely, very sweet and colourful! May I ask: how did you do the background? The texture is very interesting (and I love the colour!).
>
>Nice pic of Leonard, too!

thank you, lisa. i didn't realise it was as good as you seem to think. there was no planning, i had only a vague idea of what i was doing - it seemed to happen almost by itself, because i was thinking about the lovely evening i had spent with anita at fellini's restaurant. i took one or two different green soft pastel sticks and rubbed them very lightly, almost not touching, on the thick paper, using the long edges of them. then i took a screwed up kitchen paper tissue and rubbed over it all, to give a smooth effect - no water used. next i painted the sprig of holly in liquid watercolour and put it on top of the radiator for a minute or two to dry because i don't like waiting. then i used a fine point black waterproof marker pen to outline everything. the background looked too plain and uninteresting, so i cut some pieces of paper to cover the sprig of holly, then loaded a big brush with some more green watercolour and gently pulled back the bristles so that it would cast a fine spray over the picture. while at it i did the same with some white paint, but i wasn't as careful this time and it splattered bigger splashes. then back to the radiator, and when dry removed the bits of paper covering the holly (i had fastened them with little pieces of masking tape). finally i drew a seven-pointed star, because i had never drawn one before. it was about 4:30 - 5:00 in the morning (just like now), a storm was howling outside, i had a glass or two of 'churchill's dry white port wine' and the music i listened to was 'the cars complete greatest hits'. i wrote too much now again, but hope you can filter out the part in which you were interested :-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

what an utterly joyful message, B4real! :D
thank you!

sorry, i mean Bev.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thank you, Geoffrey, for the detailed description of how your holiday greeting card came about! It is most interesting to me, to hear of the process.

Not having a radiator (different type of heat in my house), I sometimes use a small hair dryer to speed up the drying of watercolour paint.

Cheers!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Geoffrey wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:34 am what an utterly joyful message, B4real! :D
thank you!

sorry, i mean Bev.
My absolute pleasure, Geoffrey!
I've been busy all morning handwriting Christmas cards the old-fashioned way for some old-fashioned friends ;-)

And now just thinking about the Happy Holidays thread, I think I keep with the summer beach theme and spread the warmth further afield :)

Lisa, I thought you might like to know, with the disastrous fires we've had here in Australia some of your compatriot Canadian fire-fighters have come all that way here to give ours a well-earned rest. So nice they've done that!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

B4real (Bev) wrote:
>My absolute pleasure, Geoffrey! I've been busy all morning handwriting Christmas cards the old-fashioned way for some old-fashioned friends ;-)

i am quite old fashioned myself, and i'm writing christmas cards as well - even designing one or two on the computer. easier and cleaner than using real paint. below is the latest attempt after pausing a video. extremely gaudy isn't it - ha ha ha!!! an artist i know insists that one's signature should be discreet, but i'm not an artist, and he obviously doesn't know anything about reverse psychology ;-) . for christmas i want a hair dryer, by the way ;-)
rudolph.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I love the reindeer! I wouldn't call it "gaudy" in the least -- it's marvellous! God Jul, to you, too!

p.s. I hope you get that hair dryer! ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>I love the reindeer! I wouldn't call it "gaudy" in the least -- it's marvellous! God Jul, to you, too!

thank you, lisa. i purposely made it bright, and the great thing about computer art is that it is can be saved in the software programme. one can go back and change the colouring, or adjust whatever else, at any time - it's just a few clicks with the mouse.

wpap (wedha pop art portrait) is easily my favourite style when working digitally, i absolutely love it, especially the vivid colours, but not much good for non-portraits because the idea is to conquer facial curvature with straight lines. getting the hang of wpap is a little complicated in the beginning, and most youtube videos are in indian, but once it has been mastered it becomes easier and easier. the real thrill comes after the shapes are finished and the filling-in begins. it doesn't matter at all which colours one chooses, because they all just fit into three categories: dark, medium and pale. anyway, no need to comment on this, i just felt like writing it :-)

https://youtu.be/OlAsJn8kScc
(best viewed with sound off)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:08 pm ...no need to comment on this, i just felt like writing it :-)...

Well, I shall comment anyway, just to say, if I ever decide to try digital art (who knows?), I shall keep WPAP and this video in mind. Always good to have these ideas tucked away for a rainy day (or a cold, snowy one...). Cheers!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Well, I shall comment anyway, just to say, if I ever decide to try digital art (who knows?), I shall keep WPAP and this video in mind. Always good to have these ideas tucked away for a rainy day (or a cold, snowy one...). Cheers!

glad to hear that, lisa. never stagnate. be like the ladybird that climbs to the top and then flies to a new challenge. there are always new places to go :-)
reindeer.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"i'm writing you now just to see if you're better"
email.jpg
Gullivor

Post by Gullivor »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:09 am "i'm writing you now just to see if you're better"
email.jpg

Love it!
What did you reply Geoffrey?
We’ve all come to
This moment
To find out
Who we are.
Painted colors
Scribed words
Sweetly found.
~Gully~
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Gullivor asked:
>What did you reply Geoffrey?

just some reassuring words. sometimes i was busy and he'd start getting anxious that i'd disappeared, that's all ;-)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

misc.jpg

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”