"Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Leonard Cohen's posthumous album (2019)
Goldin

Re: "Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Post by Goldin »

It's Torn might be
You Kick Off Your Sandals (from The Flame)
https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/grimdays.html
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Florian wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:39 pm For non spotify users (like myself) "The Goal" now on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mszJwXsZwKM
Thank you!

I love this new track -- more poetry-reading with music than a song, and that's just fine with me. This line is brilliant, and one of the best pieces of wisdom that one could impart:

"...nothing to teach
Except that the goal
Falls short of the reach"

It is so nice to hear Leonard's voice again, and the accompanying music is so lovely. I am greatly looking forward to hearing the whole album!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Here is the promotional email from Sony Music:

ANNOUNCED TODAY, NEW MUSIC FROM LEONARD COHEN
“The Goal” First Track From ‘Thanks For The Dance’

In a posthumous new album, Leonard Cohen has robbed death of the last word.
‘Thanks for the Dance’ is not a commemorative collection of B sides and outtakes, but an unexpected harvest of new songs, exciting and vital, a continuation of the master’s final work. It will be released on November 22, and is available by pre-order today.

Seven months after his father passed, Adam Cohen retreated to a converted garage in his backyard down the street from Leonard’s house, to work with his father again, to stay in the company of his voice. From their previous collaboration on ‘You Want It Darker’ there remained bare musical sketches, at times little more than vocals. Leonard had asked his son to bring these works to completion.

This remarkable new album was made in many places. Javier Mas, the great Spanish laud player who accompanied Leonard on stage for the last eight years of touring, flew from Barcelona to Los Angeles to capture the artist’s spirit on Leonard’s own guitar. In Berlin, at a musical event called People Festival, Adam invited friends and comrades to lend their ears and talents. Damien Rice and Leslie Feist sang. Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire played bass. Bryce Dessner of The National played guitar, the composer Dustin O’Halloran played piano. The Berlin-based choir Cantus Domus sang, and the s t a r g a z e orchestra played. In Montreal, the famed producer Daniel Lanois dropped in, beautifully enriching sparse arrangements. The Shaar Hashomayim choir, who played such important part of the sound of the last album, contributed to a song, and Patrick Watson brought his inimitable talent as co-producer to a song. Back in Los Angeles Jennifer Warnes, one of the keepers of Leonard’s flame, sang background vocals, and Beck contributed on guitar and Jew’s harp. Michael Chaves, who elegantly recorded and mixed ‘You Want It Darker’, did the engineering and mixing.

And so was born ‘Thanks For The Dance’, a brand new Leonard Cohen album that uncannily recalls the essence of his sound.

“In composing and arranging the music for his words, we chose his most characteristic musical signatures, in this way keeping him with us,” said Adam Cohen. “What moves me most about the album is the startled response of those who have heard it. ‘Leonard lives’! they say, one after the other.”

‘Thanks for the Dance’ is an unexpected blessing, a gift of beauty and strength. Leonard Cohen’s voice has not been stilled. The dance goes on.

Today, “The Goal” premieres, the first of a series of videos from the album.

Thanks For The Dance

1. Happens to the Heart
2. Moving On
3. The Night of Santiago
4. Thanks for the Dance
5. It's Torn
6. The Goal
7. Puppets
8. The Hills
9. Listen to the Hummingbird
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

Quite unbelievable. I keep relistening. Out of words.
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

‘Thanks for the Dance’ is an unexpected blessing, a gift of beauty and strength. Leonard Cohen’s voice has not been stilled. The dance goes on."
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

Flower.png
The neighbour returns / my smile of defeat.

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

Goldin wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:19 pm It's Torn might be
You Kick Off Your Sandals (from The Flame)
https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/grimdays.html
Thanks a lot. p28 and p116 of The Flame
············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

I’m so excited!
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... -announced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

I absolutely love "The Night of Santiago", it's another translation of a poem by Lorca (think "Take this Waltz"). I can't wait to hear it!
Ronaldson

Post by Ronaldson »

Go behind the scenes of the new Leonard Cohen album, CBC Montreal https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5292577
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Currently:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #4 in CDs & Vinyl
#1 in Rock (CDs & Vinyl)
Attachments
ABS.jpg
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Ronaldson wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:17 pm Go behind the scenes of the new Leonard Cohen album, CBC Montreal https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5292577
Thanks for that link, Ronaldson! I enjoyed the article very much!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Finally, after 8 years (Nov 22, 2011 / Nov 22, 2019), the file is complete:

✓ Treaty
✓ Amen
✓ Lullaby
✓ Darkness
✓ Puppets
✓ Show Me
✓ Going Home
✓ Thanks Dance
✓ Crazy to Love You
✓ Come Healing
✓ Banjo
✓ Anyhow
Old Ideas (back).jpg
B4real

Post by B4real »

Goldin wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 am Finally, after 8 years (Nov 22, 2011 / Nov 22, 2019), the file is complete:
Well spotted, Roman!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5292577

CBC

Go behind the scenes of the new Leonard Cohen album

Thanks For The Dance recorded in Montreal, L.A., Berlin, comes out in November

Simon Nakonechny · CBC News · Posted: Sep 21, 2019

Howard Bilerman always dreamed of recording Leonard Cohen. He even pitched unsolicited proposals to the legendary poet-singer through the mail slot of his Montreal home in the 1990s, when he was just in his 20s.

So working on a Cohen album was an exciting experience for the 48-year-old engineer and co -owner of the hotel2tango recording studio in the city's Mile-End neighbourhood.

"Imagine being in the position to be able to push the solo button on that," he said about isolating Cohen's intense, gravely voice on his studio mixing board. "That was me."

Cohen's son Adam had asked Bilerman and Montreal singer-songwriter Patrick Watson to add music to some of his father's solo vocals, which had previously been recorded in Los Angeles, in June 2016.

One of the songs , The Hills, was originally slated to be on Cohen's album You Want It Darker — which came out 19 days before his death that November — but wasn't ready.

Instead, it and eight other unfinished Cohen compositions will be released on the posthumous album Thanks For The Dance, out Nov. 22.

"The record is fantastic," said Bilerman, who says it feels like a classic Cohen record — not one of those "we're combing the archives for anything that we can cobble together " albums.

In addition to recording parts of The Hills, Bilerman also helped set up Adam's home studio in L.A., a converted garage, where much of the new record was produced .

Adam had flown him down to California for Cohen's memorial service in December 2016. That was where The Hills was played publicly for the first time, as a musical backdrop to a video montage Adam had made to honour his father's life.

"It took me about five seconds to realize, 'Oh my God that's the song that we did,'" said Bilerman, "I just immediately started bawling."

But it wasn't the only time Adam called on his friend while making Thanks For The Dance.

In May 2018, he asked Bilerman to host famed musician-producer Daniel Lanois at hotel2tango to get his feedback on the project.

"I don't even think the session started out as, 'Let's have Daniel Lanois play on [the] record,'" Bilerman said. But after hearing the first song, he says, Lanois was reaching for a 12-string guitar.

"Within two hours he had played six different instruments and sang," said Bilerman. "Ideas were just oozing out of him."

Bilerman says even Lanois, who has helmed records for giants like U2 and Bob Dylan, was humbled by the long artistic shadow cast by Cohen, even after death.

"I feel like Daniel showed up in complete reverence to Leonard and his music," he said.

'Great love and pride'

Bilerman's involvement in Thanks For The Dance morphed out of his experience recording the choir from the Cohen family's synagogue for the song You Want It Darker, which won a Grammy for best rock performance in 2018
The Shaar Hashomayim choir also appears on the song Puppets on the new record , although it wasn't recorded by Bilerman.

The choir's cantor Gideon Zelermyer was tight-lipped about the recording process but says it was a tremendous honour to have played a small role in what he calls "amazing statements" by Cohen near the end of his life.

Zelermyer says the choir didn't hesitate when Adam called on them again.

"He felt we had something to add to the statement so we did [it] with great love and pride," he said.

The new album also features performances from creative luminaries including Jennifer Warnes, Javier Mas, Feist and Richard Reed Parry of Arcade Fire.

More unreleased material

Adam says he's been moved by the response of those who've already heard Thanks For The Dance. And Zelermyer says he thinks the song his choir sang on, "rises to the level of any of Leonard's greatest works."

Bilerman agrees: "It's heartbreaking to hear that voice and hear those songs," he said.

"I think it 's going to be really moving for people."

He says besides the new album, more unreleased material could find its way out of the vaults.

"I know for a fact that one of my favourite songs was left off of it." he said. "I'd love for it to see the light of day too."
Marie
Speaking Cohen

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”