never-ending gallery

This is for your own works!!!
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending garrulity

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:48 pm ...the original physical work (see below)...

That one is best of all! I admit that I have yet to fully appreciate computer-generated or computer-enhanced art (compared to non-digital, old-fashioned media). To me, there is something particularly special about art created directly by a person: one can see the pencil lines or brush strokes that they put there with their own hands, such that one can see the pressure applied, or the amount of paint used, or any of the many tiny details that are not as readily discernible nor as vivid in a digital image.

I also feel the same way about hand-written things: gazing upon an original manuscript, be it for a book, a letter, a musical score, etc., can be an exhilarating experience because it gives one a tiny but direct connection to the person who wrote it. Whereas, when one looks at a printed page, the personal human element is removed, and the connection to the person who wrote it is somewhat lost. As a result, there is a sterility to it. And, it is that sterility that I also feel from digital art.

I wonder: will museums and historical libraries, in a century or two, have display cases full of word documents and pdfs of the "original" copies of great books, musical scores and letters by famous and brilliant writers and composers who "wrote" everything digitally?

Perhaps it is not a fair comparison. Visual art lies in what we actually see with our eyes -- that is its entire essence, whereas the art of music really only comes to life when it is heard, and the art of words lies in their meaning (or even in how they sound, when spoken or simply "heard" in one's head). And so, while gazing upon a hand-written manuscript of words or musical notation may provide a certain enjoyable and meaningful experience, the visual aspect of it is, in some respects, quite distinct from the art itself, or perhaps somewhat non-essential to it. I mean, music would be as beautiful to hear, regardless of whether the score was scrawled in pen or printed/typeset, and a book or poem would be as meaningful even if one only reads it online. And, for the vast majority of the music a person hears, or the books, poems, etc., that a person reads, even if an original hand-written version exists, very few will ever actually see it, and so it is a rare pleasure, even if it can be a sometimes profound one.

Then again, one can also say that about an awful lot of visual art: how many people will see the originals, compared to how many will see prints and/or digital copies? While seeing the original may provide an additional element to one's experience, how essential is it? Is it more essential than seeing an original written manuscript, or about the same? I suppose what it adds to the experience may differ depending on the individual: some people may appreciate, enjoy, or otherwise be moved by an original vastly more than other people, and why it affects them that way may be different for each person.

If one wishes to own a piece of art (be it visual art or word/music), then, as you (Geoffrey) said, I certainly believe that an original would be more highly valued, for whatever reason a person may have (depending on what they value and why). I wonder if writers and composers think of that, today, if they do not hand-write? If they and their work becomes famous, will somebody in the future want to own their sterile "original" printed novel, poem, or score, if it is indiscernible from any subsequent copy? But then, could one say the same about digital visual art (if the art is 100% digital) -- would an "original" hold any value (or any meaning?) if it is identical to all of its copies? Perhaps a hand-written signature (which one sometimes sees on limited prints) might slightly increase the value, but I don't think it is the same as having an entire work done by hand.

Oh my, I've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, having a little discussion all by myself! Perhaps I will get back on topic before I write a book. All I really meant to say is that I have a tendency to prefer things of an old-fashioned nature, but, of course, not all things -- I do like the internet! (Speaking of the internet, I also wonder about what we write online: does it have value and meaning, and to whom? Will these posts on the Leonard Cohen Forum still exist in 100 years, and if so, will people read them and wonder who we were? Geoffrey's pictures may immortalise him, whereas words by an anonymous person (such as me) may be seen as mere curiosities. I know for certain that the words by solongleonard will be seen as curiosities (as will he!).). I've done it again --rambling on, and it's getting late in this part of the world.

But, before I go, there's one more thing I want to write in response to Geoffrey: as for your pictures of Leonard, I cannot think of a nicer way to express one's feelings for someone -- be it respect, appreciation, admiration, love, gratitude, whatever it may be -- than to create art inspired by them.
Geoffrey

Re: never-ending garrulity

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>That one is best of all! . . .

. . . and so is your message.
incredible. no one can touch you.
i'll be responding :-)
-g

another pic from sarah's recent photoshoot
swm.jpg
LisaLCFan

Re: never-ending gallery

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:30 am ...another pic from sarah's recent photoshoot...
Interesting flowers -- not something I've seen before. Any idea what they are?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Interesting flowers -- not something I've seen before. Any idea what they are?
-----------
no. i too have been wondering what they are called - will try to find out.

i have just eaten supper, salmon fried in garlic oil and pesto sauce with crispbread and cream cheese. have been assisting a tenant to move out from one of my properties - an elderly polish gentleman. he was always late paying the rent for his apartment, so as soon as he caught the bus today i drove determinedly to his address. espen, my loyal employee, shut the water off, and we literally threw everything out into the yard, and i mean everything; dishwasher, wardrobe, bedside cabinet, the lot. all small items were put into sacks, bric-a-brac, food from the fridge and cupboards. not my fault if it rains. espen changed the lock. people exploiting my good nature is not on, and i'm not taking it any more.

i had planned earlier today to buy a french loaf with potato salad and peperoni, but it was not to be. after walking around the shop i approached the lad at the checkout and told him to come here because i wanted to show him something. i said look, can you see this? i pointed to the sell-by stamp on the tubs of potato salads, the expiry date said 4th july. then i took him to the yoghurts and showed him several that said 7th july, way past the date. then the manager comes up and asks what's the problem sir? i tell him there's nothing fresh in his shop, you have to go around and check the dates from time to time. what if the inspector came in? i said - you'd be closed down on the spot! he was taken aback at my forthrightness, but the days of being treated like a sap are over. respect is not a right, it has to be earned.

yesterday i asked the foreman where i live how long is the scaffolding and netting going to be covering the fasade of my block. we were told it was going to be less than a month, and that was six weeks ago. why have you got only two people working here? i said. i can't use my balcony, i have no view of the mountains, i added. all this incessant dust, banging and drilling, all you've done is fill one or two cracks with a bit of cement. i could have done that in half an hour, and i demand reduced maintenance charges at the end of the year, because there's no way i'm paying full costs after not being able to sit out on the balcony during the summer. no more mister nice guy! you have to teach people how to treat you, dr phil says.

i have been thinking about this section of jarkko's forum, and think i know why it is so quiet in here. the reason there is so little activty is because people are intimidated by the level of quality that we few active participants seem to reach with ease. potential painters or poets hesitate to show their work for fear of it being judged as pathetic in comparison to the high standard that now exists. yet, for them to think like that is so wrong! i welcome their contributions, not least because without peoples' inferior attempts at sketching or writing doggerel, there would be no contrast to help make the gifted amongst us stand out. i mean, let's face it, some people have it and others don't.

the intellectually challenged amongst us, primarily the 'lurkers/bystanders' as one calls them, need in no way fear ridicule when showing their feeble attempts to reach the high quality that was set in this 'writing, music and art' section at my arrival - because it is documented that people who are less than clever are not seen as a threat, and are therefore 'likeable'. in psychology we call it 'the pratfall effect'. this is why applause is louder for a pianist who has struggled to complete a piece compared to one who played it flawlessly. take me, for example: knowing that i create superb portraits puts me into a masochistic category; i heroically post my pictures knowing that their excellence disqualifies me from enjoying maximum praise - and i do it for everyone's benefit.

the last thing i want to mention concerns my nervous tic. i just want to report that it still plagues me, but is under control for long periods of time. it's harder than stopping smoking, but an effective form of discipline has been adopted in order to keep it in check. i've probably mentioned this before, but if i am in a social setting, and have food on my plate that is not conducive to an agreeable gastronomic experience, i simply pretend i am robinson crusoe, hungry, glad for anything i can get. when i am in a stressful situation, or if my eyes are tired and the tic begins to present itself, i take the role of a character actor, someone like edward norton in 'primal fear', pretending to be someone i am not - or as leonard sang in one of his songs: 'don't be the person that you came with'.
LisaLCFan

[drawn a blank]

Post by LisaLCFan »

I honestly have no idea how to respond to Geoffrey's last post. I am speechless.
Geoffrey

Re: [drawn a blank]

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:49 am I honestly have no idea how to respond to Geoffrey's last post. I am speechless.
don't worry about it. you must feel no pressure to post anything :) - it was merely an attempt to make myself visible. instead of being just this anonymous machine that keeps posting pictures. i am a person, i have an identity, a personality, and a need for people to know there exists a human being behind the pictures :-)
------------------
"it's a very tricky occasion, being honoured. in one sense, it feels like an obituary
- and you don't really feel that about yourself." leonard cohen
identity.jpg
LisaLCFan

Pardon the interruption

Post by LisaLCFan »

Regular programming may now resume!
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>Regular programming may now resume!

very good.
those flowers that whetted your curiosity may, i believe, be called 'orange hawkweed'.
not very popular with gardeners, apparently - but it's difficult to please everyone ;)
-------------------
"it is your effort at love that is preventing you from experiencing it."
[leonard cohen]
digital expressionism.jpg
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:36 pm ...those flowers that whetted your curiosity may, i believe, be called 'orange hawkweed'.
not very popular with gardeners, apparently...

That is, indeed, what they are. They are not popular with my local horticultural and environmental authorities, either: a very brief online search resulted in numerous local warnings about these plants being "invasive noxious weeds" that are actually prohibited in private gardens. Apparently they choke out native vegetation and turn the soil acidic -- not desirable at all, I'd say! My city even organised a couple of "volunteer weed pulls" for orange hawkweed last month, in efforts to eradicate it.

As for your latest computerised picture, is that a set of lips and a nose on Leonard's forehead?
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

LisaLCFan wrote:
>That is, indeed, what they are. They are not popular with my local horticultural and environmental authorities, either: a very brief online search resulted in numerous local warnings about these plants being "invasive noxious weeds" that are actually prohibited in private gardens. Apparently they choke out native vegetation and turn the soil acidic -- not desirable at all, I'd say! My city even organised a couple of "volunteer weed pulls" for orange hawkweed last month, in efforts to eradicate it.

well, people say a cancer cell looks pretty through a microscope, but you can't always judge a crook by his brother.

>As for your latest computerised picture, is that a set of lips and a nose on Leonard's forehead?

it's a sneaky little rorschach test, to see what's going on inside the heads of my critics ;)

(update: have made an alteration. had to leave something there, otherwise there would be no 'balance'. really great to have feedback :-) )

-g :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"tours are like bull-fighting, they are a test of character every night."
-leonard cohen: 'rolling stone' magazine'
'me be pop now'.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

hello friends. little activity from these quarters at the moment. truth is i am moving around quite a bit, jumping on and off various ships, accepting invitations, meeting people - you name it. am currently enjoying life up in trondheim. not very creative, but fresh impulses are being collected, new spurts of inspiration oiling the rusty rails leading from brain to palette. looking forward to returning one day soon. meanwhile, much affection to anyone reading this :)
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

all right, settle down everybody, fret no more, everything's gonna be all right - i'm back! stepped off the boat at 1 o'clock this morning after a week in trondheim with gunnar. you lucky people!
gunnar.jpg
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

today's first visitor, taken ten minutes ago, in the jungle outside my home :-)
jungle.jpg
it is said that if you want to know a person, look at their book shelves. well, here is a selection of volumes bought during my travels this month :-)
books.jpg
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Geoffrey wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:42 pm ...it is said that if you want to know a person, look at their book shelves...
I am not sure who "said" that, but I would be suspicious of such a claim, or at least, I could not be certain what it tells me about the person who owns the books. The books a person has on their shelves may reflect so many different possibilities, such that simply looking at them only tells me that they have some books on their shelves.

There are so many questions I have when I see books on someone's shelves. For instance: Did they read the books and love them, and therefore want to keep them, perhaps to read them (or parts of them) again? If so, what was it about the books that they enjoyed? Or, did they merely intend to read the books, but never got around to it? And why did they obtain them in the first place? Did somebody recommend them, did the covers look interesting, did they think that they were books that they should read (for whatever reasons they may have had)? Were the books on a topic that generally interested them, or by an author they had previously read or about whom they heard positive things? Did they merely think that the books looked good/impressive so that any (unthinking, gullible) visitors would be impressed by them?

I can tell you what the books on my shelves say about me, because I know why the books are there, but I cannot say what the books on anybody else's shelves say about them, nor can I possibly claim to "know" anything about the person (beyond the fact that they have books!), unless I were to acquire answers to questions such as those I've suggested above. Without that information, I have nothing more than assumptions that could be completely wrong.

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”