Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Hartmut

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by Hartmut »

vlcoats wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 4:30 pm And Harmut, yes your comment on #23 is vague indeed. Wouldn't that be at least half of the songs he has written? :lol:
:-)
Yes, I had the same thought myself. - Let me just add one word to make it less vague: Ruth.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hehe! Hartmut,
To add to your speculation about the last two items I added - One could be close and one could not be ;-)
Hartmut wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 pm :-) This should be interesting indeed. - You're pushing her into deep water ...
As you know, some of the other questions could be difficult so I don't mind "treading water" for a few days or until I'm needed :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote: To add to your speculation about the last two items I added - One could be close and one could not be ;-)
I have no idea what you're talking about. But it's up to 4 now, anyway.
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Okay... whew! So I wasn't able to give it the time it deserved, but I am going to submit my answers to the quiz to B4 in a private message. I am using PM not just because I don't want to give away the answers to 4 (he likely got more right than I did ;-) ), but more because I don't want everyone here in Leonard Cohen Land to know my mistakes, haha!

B4- I will try to let you know which ones I thought I knew and which ones I had to look up. There was at least one that I have been unable to answer yet! I say 'yet' because I don't have time right but hope to have time later. Maybe you can tell me which ones I got wrong and give some very subtle hints on how to find the correct answers!

Vickie
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Good morning,

Here are my answers for Bev's test. Only used album track lists for reference, except I did google information for #19.

1) Leaving Greensleeves
2) Un Canadien Errant
3) ?
4) ?
5) ?
6) The Partisan
7) Chaquita Banana Song
8) Little Viennese Waltz
9) Guess: The Law
10) Tonight Will be Fine
11) Came So Far for Beauty
12) ?
13) ?
14) Who By Fire
15) Tennessee Waltz
16) ? (Never saw Twin Peaks and never heard of Badalamenti)
17) La Manic (wonder how close he was to completing the translation?)
18) The Traiter
19) Villanelle for Our Time
20) i've Got a Little Secret
21) Alexandra Leaving
22) ?
23) Guess: Choices
24) ?

Bev, apparently there were two additional goose nests, now we have three familes of geese with about 18 goslings parading around our yard. If it's true that goslings return to where they were born, we'll be up to our ears in geese next year.

I have no idea why a smiley face appears in #8!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi 4,
Here are your results :)

RIGHT: 1, 8, 11, 14, 15, 17, 19, 20.
WRONG: 2, 6, 7, 9, 10, 18, 21, 23.
Clues needed for above plus: 3, 4, 5, 12, 13, 16, 22, 24.

2. It’s based melodically on a Québecois folk song and is on a studio album.

3. This German folk song was sung in the 1976 European concert. I know for sure at these cities - Graz, Lintz, Zurich, Vienna, Munich, Nuremberg, Mainz, Ludwigshafen, Karlsruhe and Frankfurt.

4. Sung in concert in Yiddish at Brussels 1974, Philadelphia 1975, Vienna 1976, Nuremberg 1976, Copenhagen 1979, Karlsruhe 1976, Copenhagen 1979, Frankfurt 1970 and maybe others.

5. This is an Irish rebel song from the early 1900's that LC sang in concert 1972 at Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Dublin and maybe others.

6. This is a hard one! During the tour in 2008-2010 he often closed his concerts in French speaking places reciting this traditional French song that may have appeared as early as 1604 when the first permanent French settlement was established in the Maritimes, Canada. In 2012 he recited a verse of it in the middle of a song that had its genesis in and about Egypt.

7. This song has the same title as a studio album.

9. This song is also on another official album by a female singer who everybody knows also sang it in concert during the LC world tour.

10. A contemporary of LC was responsible for the suggested melody connection. This is a very early and one of his signature songs and he got the inspiration for it looking out his window on Hydra.

12. This song was originally a poem and its title was the same as that on LC’s studio album. The title of the female singer’s song is part of its first line.

13. Those Chinese poems were called The Ten Bulls. Leonard wrote a female version of this song for Jennifer Warnes.

16. I never saw Twin Peaks either. This is the last track on a studio album.

18. This is on an official studio album and the answer is written in the sleeve notations.

21. This is one of my very favourite LC songs (not that that will help you!) and unfortunately, it has never been sung in concert since the early 1980’s. Raffi Hakopian’s violin is simply beautiful.

22. Another hard one. That recording is LC reciting a poem from Book Of Longing.

23. This song is listed in The People’s Songbook. In 2010 there was speculation that this could be LC’s last concert and those who were there sang the chorus of this song at the venue and he bounded on stage singing the last line.

24. Hartmut was right the first time, hehe!

About the cool smiley at no 8, I remember that in a list sometimes that particular smiley which has 8 in its code can turn out that way when it’s listed or copied.

Sounds like you have many fluffy yellow “tennis balls” bouncing everywhere!
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hi B4-

Sorry, :oops: I didn't think about the fact that I might be causing you to type your answers twice. You are right, I should have posted my answers here as well, so I will do that.

And no, I haven't even moved yet. We are supposed to be out of the house by June 10th, but Dave is still interviewing for jobs in Oregon and/or Washington :shock: . We aren't leaving Idaho until he finds something over there, since we still have our jobs here. You can probably imagine how crazy we feel right now. We had no idea our house would sell so fast. We may actually end up living in a travel trailer and boarding the donkeys. It is a little unnerving knowing we are leaving so soon but having no idea as to where!

And yes, regarding your avatar, I did follow your links to find out how you ended up receiving such an awesome (the word is pre-approved by 4 in this instance!) gift! Do you wear it often? I would be torn between never wearing it and never taking it off!! I can see by your link regarding why you received it that you certainly deserved it. Bravo!

In case anyone is interested I am posting my answers to the quiz below and your response below that. I will give it another go as soon as I can!

My answers:
1.Greensleeves
2. The Lost Canadian (Un Canadien Errant)
3. Edelweiss?
4. Un Az Der Rebbe Zingt
5. Kevin Barry
6. Something to do with The Partisan?
7. Rum and Coca Cola-- Field Commander Cohen
8. Take This Waltz
9. God Abandons Antony… Alexandra Leaving
10. Not sure…I think several songs were based on country songs…whether he admitted it or not!
11. Came So Far For Beauty
12. Not sure ..Something recorded by Jennifer Warnes? Need a hint.
13. Ballad of the Absent Mare
14. Who By Fire (Kol Nidre)
15. Tennessee Waltz
16. Tacoma Trailer
17. La Manic
18. Arrgh! I give up FOR NOW!
19. Aren’t there several of his songs that fit that, since he himself is a Canadian poet from the 20th century and some of his songs are from his poems? Is this a trick question??
20. Got a Little Secret
21. The Window
22. No clue…It would be awesome if it was Hava Nigela!
23. Whither Thou Goest? (Thanks to Hartmut’s hint??)
24. Always?

And here is your reply to me:

RIGHT: 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21.
WRONG: 2, 3, 6, 12, 22, 23, 24.
Clues needed for above plus: 10, 18, 19.

2. It’s based melodically on a Québecois folk song and it on a studio album which states that fact in its liner notes.

3. This German folk song was sung in the 1976 European concert. I know for sure at these cities - Graz, Lintz, Zurich, Vienna, Munich, Nuremberg, Mainz, Ludwigshafen, Karlsruhe and Frankfurt.

6. This is a hard one! Nothing to do with The Partisan - that’s the answer of another one of the questions! During the tour in 2008-2010 he often closed his concerts in French speaking places reciting this traditional French song that may have appeared as early as 1604 when the first permanent French settlement was established in the Maritimes, Canada. Ha! That’ll make you laugh! In 2012 he recited a verse of it in the middle of a song that had its genesis in and about Egypt.

10. A contemporary of LC was responsible for the suggested melody connection. This is a very early and almost signature LC song and he got the inspiration for it looking out his window on Hydra.

12. This song was originally a poem and its title was the same as that on LC’s studio album. The title of the female singer’s song is part of its first line.

18. This is on an official studio album and the answer is written in the sleeve notations.

19. As above and on the same album.

22. Another hard one. That recording is LC reciting a poem from Book Of Longing.

23. This song is listed in The People’s Songbook. There was speculation that this could be LC’s last concert and those who were there sang the chorus of this song at the venue and he bounded on stage singing the last line.

24. Hartmut was right the first time, hehe!

Wish me luck in figuring these out... the one from liner notes shouldn't be that hard, as long as they are also on the CD liners!

Thank you again for taking the time to answer my PM!

Vickie
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

B4-
Just a quick addition before I go to work- and no time to check these answers... but is number 10- Bird on a Wire? and is number 23- Passing Through?
Vickie
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Well, this is fun.

And I think both its4inthemorning and vlcoats will get their Permanent Resident Card for this forum.

> B4real:
> 3. This German folk song was sung in the 1976 European concert. I know for sure at these cities - Graz, Lintz, Zurich, Vienna, Munich, Nuremberg, Mainz, Ludwigshafen, Karlsruhe and Frankfurt.

I'm impressed!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

So #3 has to be Die Gedanken Sind Frei???? And is #6 A La Claire Fontaine? ( I found it mentioned on cohencentric.com!)
And now my lunchtime is over.... thank you for the distraction! :D
I will try to answer the rest soon!
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good work, Vickie! All your answers are right!
Take your time, no need to hurry.

Regards LC's shirt - I haven't worn it to any occasion yet. I don't want to wear it out :)

Hartmut, there are probably more cities but those are the ones I know.
And you are right about the Permanent Resident Card ;-)
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote: 23. those who were there sang the chorus of this song at the venue and he bounded on stage singing the last line.
vlcoats wrote: and is number 23- Passing Through?
Here is the moment in question, thanks to Albert:
https://youtu.be/nDfDdwAgTzE?t=2m58s
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

I think I have a couple more answers?
18- Go No More A-Roving?
19- Villanelle for Our Time- I see 4 got that too!
I have to go mow and feed the donkeys.... this is driving me crazy! Argh!
Vickie
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Yesterday I spent some time at the Cohencentric site. For some reason I totally forget about it for weeks, I do not know why since it often has things of interest.

I came across something you might want to read, about Javier Mas. By now it should be no secret that I admire Javier a lot, for his musical talents, his demeanor, and his admiration (perhaps awe) of Leonard and his work. At Cohencenric there is an entry titled something like, "Javier Mas Learns of Leonard's Illness." (I am sure you can easily find it at Cohencentric using their search tool.) The entry is really a magazine article from a Spanish publication, which I could read using Google's translation tool. The scope goes well beyond Javier's learning of Leonard's illness and death, the article also tells the story of how Javier came to be a part of the band when Leonard resumed touring in 2008 among other things.

After Leonard's 2013 tour ended in Australia, I was sure that a new tour would be announced, probably for 2015 after a one-year layoff for rest and studio work. While no such tour materialized, of course, mine was not just wishful think: in the article Javier mentions that when he first spoke of not feeling well, "he (Leonard) did not think it was so serious...he even left the instruments in Los Angeles thinking we would go on tour again."

I was a little surprised that some band members did not participate in the Montreal Event, but I always knew that Javier would be there, and of course, he was--even though Elvis Costello mistakenly introduced him as "Xavier Mas."

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hartmut- Thank you for the clip of Leonard bounding onstage! I really can't imagine what it would have been like to have followed him all along and then to see him in concert and see him do something like that. What a cutie. (Yes, the 6th stage that men go through... the one right after 'repulsive', haha!)

Okay--- forgive me for continuing to pursue the quiz. I am goal-oriented... not always a blessing. By process of elimination, I have to guess that #12 is The Partisan. The 2 versions would be Leonard's and Anna Marly (or not?) however, the clue that "the title of the female singer's song is part of its first line" doesn't fit that. Still, B4 had said that The Partisan was one of the answers, and I only have 2, 12, 22, and 24 left. It can't be #2 because The Partisan is a song about the French Resistance in WWII and not based on a Quebecois folk song from Canada, and after looking at my CD liner notes of The Partisan, it says nothing about it being based on a Quebecois folk song there either It can't be #22 because it is not a poem from the Book of Longing. It can't be #24 because after searching my music from Alan, I am sure that The Partisan has been sung by LC in multiple concerts. ............ So I am right?
Why is this making me feel like Vizzinni in the battle of the wits death scene in The Princess Bride? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_eZmEiyTo0 :lol:

I still have 3 to go..or still 4... if I am wrong about The Partisan.

Vickie

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”