Montreal tribute: media coverage, photos & YouTube links

The Tower of Song Tribute Concert, the MAC Exhibition, Leonard Cohen Murals, Leonard's Grave, City Tour for our Members
rike

Re: Montreal tribute: media coverage, photos & YouTube links

Post by rike »

Thank you, Hugo.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you for the great photographs Hugo!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
mary emma

Post by mary emma »

Thank you Hugo! Very nice for those who couldn't be there.

Found this on the Mac exhibition (with a quote of Sharon Robinson)
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/it ... 28013.html
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/10/worl ... itter&_r=0

Pot Advertising, Leonard Cohen and Chimps: The Canada Letter

New York Times

By IAN AUSTENNOV. 10, 2017

Tower of Song

Andrea Kannapell, an editor at The Times, made the pilgrimage from New York to Montreal for the tribute concert for one the city’s best known native sons, the musician and poet Leonard Cohen, who died a year ago this month. Here’s her report.

I confess that I went as a neophyte on Cohen, so this was a real voyage of discovery.

A colleague who is a much deeper scholar of his work told me about the tribute concert and connected me to the Leonard Cohen Forum, which offers aficionados the latest about events related to the singer. On a whim, I bought tickets to the concert at the Bell Center and also booked a spot on a tour the day before that was organized by a forum member.

On Sunday morning, more than 100 of us piled into two tour buses by one of the big hotels. People seemed to be from all over — the Netherlands, Germany, Ireland, even Andorra and Cyprus.

The atmosphere was of a happy reunion — many of the pilgrims had been attending Cohen events for years, including an every-other-year visit to Hydra, the Greek island Cohen happened onto as a young man. There, he bought a house, wrote, and had one of his most iconic affairs (that’s the story behind “So Long, Marianne”).

Befitting his songs’ use of sacred terminology and often transcendent tone, our tour was bookended by houses of faith. One early stop was the synagogue of Cohen’s youth, Shaar Hashomayim, and our last was at the Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Chapel in Old Montreal (which plays into “Suzanne”).

At the temple, the very personable cantor, Gideon Zelermyer, gave an entrancing history of Cohen’s relationship with the synagogue and the evolution of the synagogue choir’s backing on “You Want It Darker.”

In the evening, at the 300-year-old chapel, the lights were warm and the altar painting of Mary was resplendent as two performers, Li’l Andy on guitar and Sylvie Simmons (Cohen’s biographer) on ukulele, sang a suite of his songs, elegies of loves indulged and lost, and his somehow uplifting regret.

As a fellow tour-taker, Ute Egle from central Germany, told me later, “If church would be like this, I would go more often.”

Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Official photo by Michel Couvrette
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Article in Irish Times:
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... 2?mode=amp

Thanks to Albert Noonan for the link
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

https://www.timesofisrael.com/star-stud ... ard-cohen/

Reporter's notebook'No higher honor than reading Leonard in a hockey arena'
Star-studded Montreal memorial concert celebrates life and work of Leonard Cohen
PM Trudeau's wife reminds 17,000-strong hometown event that Canada's most famous Jew 'belongs to the world'
By Robert Sarner and video by Christian Aubry
7 November 2017, 2:46 pm

MONTREAL — Those who had contact with Leonard Cohen during his life would invariably speak of his incredible presence — whether it was up close in person, in a TV interview or on stage during a concert.
Last night in Montreal, on the eve of the first anniversary of his death, his presence was keenly felt by the 17,000 people who attended a sold out, three-hour, star-studded concert in his memory.

Despite his physical absence, Cohen, 82 at his death, loomed large throughout the evening by way of his songs and spoken words, photographs, videos, paintings, poetry and self-portraits projected on screens above and next to the stage.

Intimacy isn’t something usually associated with a cavernous hockey arena, but a feeling of familiarity, togetherness and shared emotion prevailed last night at the Bell Center.

Chalk it up to Cohen’s endearing persona and innately human oeuvre, and the way they were showcased — coupled with the appreciation he’s always attracted from the public.

His family put together the event, billed as “Tower of Song: A Memorial Tribute to Leonard Cohen,” which featured an impressive lineup of Canadian and international performers.

From the moment plans for the event were first announced in September, it was clear this wasn’t going to be an ordinary concert. To be sure, Cohen’s music was the main focus — but there was much more during the fast-paced, emotional program.

As former Police frontman Sting opened the concert singing “Dance Me to the End of Love,” a black and white photograph of Cohen appeared on the upper wall behind the stage. Dressed in a jacket and tie, wearing his trademark fedora and looking out a window, it appeared that Cohen was three or four stories up, watching over the proceedings below — as if he were in a “tower of song.” The image would frequently reappear throughout the evening, rising higher and shrinking in size as the night unfolded.

Cohen’s 45-year-old son, Adam, a gifted singer and musician in his own right, was the co-producer and driving force behind the event. He stayed true to his father’s wishes, as he explained to journalists ahead of the concert.
“My father left me with a list of instructions before he passed: ‘Put me in a pine box next to my mother and father. Have a small memorial for close friends and family in Los Angeles… and if you want a public event do it in Montreal.’ I see this concert as a fulfillment of my duties to my father that we gather in Montreal to ring the bells that still can ring. It corresponds to the one-year anniversary of his passing, and in the Jewish tradition, that represents the end of a year of mourning,” said Cohen.

A hometown mourns — and celebrates — a native son

Leonard Cohen always remained strongly attached to his hometown of Montreal, even though he spent many years in the United States, mainly in Los Angeles, where he died. Following his passing, he was buried in Montreal.
Last night’s concert, a half-century since his first album came out in 1967, was the unofficial kickoff to a week of events in Montreal honoring Cohen’s life and legacy. They include a major multidisciplinary exhibition at the city’s Museum of Contemporary Art that will run until April. Israeli film director Ari Folman is one of many international artists who have contributed to the exhibition.

It’s a safe bet that for most of the audience, which was predominantly over the age of 40, Cohen’s music has been a constant in their lives, each song evoking vivid memories. The crowd listened attentively to the performances and applauded enthusiastically, many people rising to their feet after each song. At times, it almost felt like a communion, with the crowd clearly united in song, enraptured by what they were witnessing. Many in attendance had traveled from distant places to be there.

Five songs into the concert, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie appeared on stage. They spoke, in English and French, with great affinity for Cohen, arguably the most famous and internationally admired Jew that Canada has every produced.

“Leonard was an extraordinary Canadian but he was a giant of Montreal,” Trudeau said before his wife Sophie added, “As Montrealers, we like to think Leonard belongs to us, but let’s remember he belongs to the world.”
She then mentioned that at their wedding in 2005, she and Justin walked down the aisle to the sounds of Cohen’s most well-known song, “Hallelujah,” and took their first dance to “I’m Your Man.”

In addition to Sting, other performers included Elvis Costello, Feist, k.d. lang, Courtney Love, Lana del Rey and many others.

Together, often accompanied by a 25-piece orchestra including an extraordinary lute guitarist, and three female back-up singers, they performed 22 songs from Cohen’s illustrious canon, covering different genres.

All sang with passion and great reverence for the songs they performed. They gave the distinct impression they were honored to be part of the event, reflected in their heartfelt renditions.

Damien Rice provided one of the more poignant performances when he sang “Famous Blue Raincoat.”
Frequent Cohen collaborator Sharon Robinson livened things up with an upbeat, jazzy version of “I’m Your Man,” wearing a commemorative fedora, like many men in the audience.

Ron Sexsmith performed a captivating interpretation of one of Cohen’s oldest and most celebrated songs, “Suzanne,” whose origin and lyrics are rooted in Montreal.

A cameo-filled video montage had Celine Dion, Chris Martin, Peter Gabriel and Willie Nelson each singing different parts of “Tower of Song.”

Adam Cohen performed several songs, his resemblance to his father in appearance and singing style clear for all to see, especially when he played “So Long Marianne” and in his duet with Lana del Rey for “Chelsea Hotel.”
In the first of a series of videos played between songs, accompanied by his distinctive speaking voice ruminating about life and sharing his pearls of wisdom, stills from different periods in Cohen’s life appeared briefly on the screen.

One showed him performing for Israeli troops in the Sinai during the Yom Kippur War in 1973 alongside Israeli singer Matti Caspi, with Ariel Sharon standing next to them. It’s unlikely many in the audience recognized anyone other than Cohen in the photo or could guess where and when it was taken.

Laughter among the tears

An evening devoted to Cohen wouldn’t have been complete without some lighter moments, given how humor was an essential part of his unmistakably Jewish sensibility. Several soundbites highlighted his characteristic self-deprecating wit.

Comedian and actor Seth Rogen generated much laughter when he took to the stage.

“I never had the pleasure of meeting Leonard Cohen,” he told the audience. “I did have a teacher by that name in Hebrew school but he was much less cool. As a Canadian Jewish person, I must say there’s no higher honor than reading a Leonard Cohen poem in the middle of a hockey arena.”

He then recited the lyrics to the 1974 song, “Field Commander Cohen.”

One of the many highlights was the performance in English and French by Adam Cohen and Coeur de Pirate of Cohen’s 1969 song, “The Partisan,” which he adapted from a World War II French resistance song. They played it as wartime newsreel footage unfolded on the screen showing German Nazi soldiers in action.

Equally powerful was the performance toward the end of the concert of “You Want it Darker” from Cohen’s final album that came out last October, a few weeks before he died.

The men’s choir from the Orthodox synagogue in Montreal, Congregation Shaar Hashomayim, which Cohen, his father, and grandfather attended, appeared on stage wearing kippas and sang the haunting hymnal track like they did on the album alongside Cohen’s recorded baritone voice. The lyrics were projected behind them.

Adam has not only inherited his father’s musical talents but also his facility with words.
Speaking to the crowd as the concert moved toward conclusion, he paid tribute to both the audience and those who performed.

“The goal [of the event] was, as in many religions, to sing songs of praise for someone who is no longer with us. And I know my father would have been very grateful, not only for the beautiful love that you have given him this evening, but for his songs being kept alive by these beautiful voices and accompaniments,” he said.

After the regular program ended and all the performers appeared on stage together to take a bow and then exited to rousing applause, Adam Cohen returned to the stage, dressed in black pants, a black T-shirt and red bandana in his hair.

For his last intervention, he said he’d play the first of his father’s songs he ever learned — “Coming Back to You.” Such was the power of the moment and the audience’s attentiveness, you could have heard a pin drop.

Soon after, once the concert ended and the crowd began to file out, Leonard Cohen could be heard singing, “Save the Last Dance for Me.”

A year after his much-lamented passing for which there was no public funeral, it was hard not to feel that last night’s moving event provided a sense of closure for his fans, with the lasting solace that Cohen’s songs will live on for generations.

Proceeds from the event are going to three arts-granting bodies: the Canada Council for the Arts, the Council of Arts and Letters of Quebec, and the Montreal Arts Council, all of which helped Cohen financially in his 20s when he was beginning his literary career.
Thanks to Pentti Lentäjäinen for the link!
Wirebird

Post by Wirebird »

I have uploaded some photos from the Tower of Song concert. The photos can be seen at my Facebook page from this link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... a14fe038a6
85: Oslo 88: Oslo (2x) 93: Oslo 08: Gothenburg 09: Langesund; Bratislava; Prague 10: Malmø; Oslo; Oakland (2x); Las Vegas (2x)
12: Ghent (2x); Halden; Gothenburg; Helsinki; London; Verona; Paris (2x); Lisboa; Montreal (2x); Quebec; NYC; Brooklyn
13: Memphis, New Orleans, Louisville, London (2x), Antwerp, Mannheim, Brussels, Rome, Pula, Stockholm, Odense, Oslo, Bournemouth, Brighton, Birmingham, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Wellington (2x), Auckland.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Dear Henry,

As usual, these are beautiful - thank you!

Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Eva

Post by Eva »

Here is a link to Sylvie Simmons’ interview with CBC to air tomorrow on the radio, but if you click on link you can listen to it.

CBC will be airing tomorrow (sunday) that long interiew onstage with Eleanor Wachtel last monday.
Here's a link to the Writers & Company web page: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/writersandcompany
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in"
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

http://www.newsweek.com/leonard-cohen-t ... ary-706935

NEWSWEEK:
PRIME MINISTER TRUDEAU, LANA DEL REY, ELVIS COSTELLO CELEBRATE LEONARD COHEN
ONE YEAR AFTER HIS DEATH, THE LEGENDARY SINGER-SONGWRITER IS REMEMBERED, SPECTACULARLY, IN MONTREAL
BY JUSTIN JOFFE ON 11/10/17 AT 9:30 AM

Up on Montréal’s Mount Royal, the wind blew swiftly through Leonard Cohen’s grave on November 7th, the first anniversary of his death. The Cohen family plot at the Congregation Shaar Hashomayim Cemetery is hard to miss—near the front gate, its seven graves trace the Cohen’s deep roots in Montréal, going back to Leonard’s great-grandfather, Lazarus Cohen, buried there almost a century ago, in 1917.

Leonard’s headstone is immediately distinguishable, and not just for the makeshift shrine of flowers, fan art and yahrzeit candles. A symbol of Cohen’s own design, commonly referred to as The Unified Heart (two hearts, one upside down and superimposed over the other in resemblance to the Star of David) adorns the marker. The symbol was created for the cover The Book of Mercy, his 1984 poetry collection, and explained, in Cohen's mysterious way, in a 2007 interview with Sarah Hampson.

The Unified Heart was all over Montréal last week, as the 375-year-old city fêted Cohen in grand fashion. On November 6, Adam Cohen, with Hal Willner, produced a celebrity-stuffed, three-hour musical celebration of his father’s life and work at The Bell Centre arena. And last Thursday, the Musée d'Art Contemporain de Montréal, or MAC, opened “Leonard Cohen: “Une breche en toute chose/A Crack In Everything.”

Keep Up With This Story And More By Subscribing Now

Back in the city of Cohen’s birth, to prepare for the massive tribute show, “Tower of Song,” Adam spoke to Newsweek. “Now that I’m in this family home that I’ve come to my whole life,” located in Montréal’s Mile End arrondissement, “there’s this familiarity, romance and bittersweetness of all the heirlooms and family objects. I’m looking at my father’s guitar on a green velvet chair that belonged to his father. I’m literally sleeping in my father’s room, on his mother’s carpet.”

It’s a testament to the power of Leonard’s work that a similar air of intimacy came through at the tribute concert, despite the massive scale of the the Bell Centre arena; the emotions cut far deeper than any simple greatest hits set. Among others, Montréaler Patrick Watson channeled Cohen’s distinctly spectral sense of Old Testament reckoning with his rendition of “Who By Fire”; k.d. lang delivered a searing "Hallelujah"; Damien Rice offered an unordained “Famous Blue Raincoat” to staid silence; and Adam Cohen and The Webb Sisters, who backed up Leonard on his final tours, delivered a heartfelt “So Long, Marianne,” punctuated by Adam reciting the letter his father wrote to his muse, Marianne Ihlen, soon after she passed.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau—with Leonard’s Unified Heart on his tie—stood onstage with his wife, Sophie Grégoire-Trudeau. “In 1988, my father attended one of Leonard’s shows,” said the Prime Minister. “When he went backstage afterward, [Leonard] said, ‘What does one have to do to get a good review in this town?’”

As the evening’s bilingual remembrances kept coming, it became clear how much Cohen was beloved on both sides of Boulevard St. Laurent. “Although there’s perennial shenanigans going on between Francophone and Anglophone, Leonard Cohen has always transcended that boundary,” Adam Cohen said.

The celebrations will continue with the November 11 opening of “Une breche en toute chose,” which runs through April 9th of next year. The MAC dedicated six of its galleries to the exhibition, a massive undertaking incorporating music, video, writings, virtual reality and performance to channel Cohen’s essence through 40 artists from 10 countries in 20 deeply immersive works. Planning began three years ago, well before his death.

“We asked a wide variety of artists to think about Leonard’s cultural output,” said John Zeppetelli, Director and Chief Curator at the MAC. “This was never a sycophantic exercise. We were never interested in presenting Leonard’s beautifully cut suits or his fedoras.”

Among the highlights: Candice Breitz’s “I’m Your Man,” featuring several Cohen fans over 65 singing that Cohen album You Want It Darker straight through. “I think that the nature of creativity is citational,” says Breitz. “We as artists and musicians, consciously or otherwise, are constantly draw on our relationship to other people’s creativity in order to shape our own.”

Other works include “I Heard There Was a Secret Chord,” a chamber emitting wordless hums of the melody to “Hallelujah.” In another room, 18 musicians’ Cohen covers play on loop by the likes of The National, Moby and Feist, whose cover of “Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye” was a memorable moment of the tribute concert.

Performance artist Clara Furey, daughter of the celebrated Montreal composer and filmmaker Lewis Furey (who collaborated with Cohen on the ‘84 screenplay to Night Magic), gives the exhibition a grounded, human presence with “When Even The,” inspired by Cohen’s poem of the same name. Wearing only a pair of jeans, she performs a slow-moving, intimate meditation on sensuality and death, two themes that informed much of Cohen’s work.

Through such varied mediums, “Une breche en toute chose” effectively captures the vast thematic resonance of Cohen’s work without coming off as regurgitation or tired tribute. Considering that Cohen’s work transcended simple definition, the unorthodox, interdisciplinary presentation feels appropriate.

“This is a position my father always had, which was, indeed, very unique,” says Adam Cohen. “He was trying to avoid the categorization of either his writing or his music. He was never interested in genres, neither political nor ethereal nor astral—nothing.”

Montréalers similarly resist categorization, too, reminding visitors to their innumerous celebrations of Cohen that the distinct grasp of duality he captured with words could have only come from a city that runs on a similarly dualistic sense of multicultural inspiration.

“For them to literally be putting up 300-foot murals of him downtown, broadcasting lyrics onto mountainsides, having the ballet of Montréal dance to his work, having the museum do this retrospective and having this many wonderful artists come together in selling out an arena in ten minutes,” says Adam Cohen, “these are all beautiful testimonies of what I consider to be real love and fidelity for my father. I see it all as great taste.”
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Leonard Cohen honoured with mural on 1st anniversary of death

On the first anniversary of his death, Montreal poet Leonard Cohen is being honoured with a mural on Crescent Street. Global’s Dan Spector reports.

https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/1091263043808/
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I had a wonderful time on the tour and at the concert, and wrote up something short for The New York Times's Canada Letter, https://www.nytimes.com/newsletters/201 ... ada-letter.
I included a reference to the forum, and a link to the audio of Gideon Zelermyer's talk (the part in the synagogue lobby), https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... antor.html

Thanks for all the organizing!

Andrea Kannapell
editor, The New York Times
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Found this post from Adam on Instagram

https://instagram.com/p/BbaSVx_AEM1/
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

***The screen remains empty, but after a while the recording begins. So try again and wait some time to get it started! / Jarkko***

I still can't get it to work on my iPad but had no problem using my laptop. It was great to hear Gideon again. What a wonderful informative host he was, his words were so moving. One of, if not the, highlight of my return visit to Montreal.

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Montreal Memorial Week, November 2017”