THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Everything about Leonard Cohen's new book
jarkko
Site Admin

THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Post by jarkko »

I believe the news was not supposed to be out yet, but amazon has posted it, so here is a copy of their presentation text.
The Flame is a stunning collection of Leonard Cohen's last poems, selected and ordered by the author in the final months of his life. Featuring lyrics, prose pieces and illustrations, the book also contains an extensive selection from Cohen's notebooks, which he kept in poetic form throughout his life, and offers an unprecedentedly intimate look inside the life and mind of a singular artist and thinker.

An enormously powerful final chapter in Cohen's storied literary career, The Flame showcases the full range of Leonard Cohen's lyricism, from the exquisitely transcendent to the darkly funny. By turns devastatingly sad and winningly strange, these are the works of a poet and lyricist who has plumbed the depths of our darkest questions and come up wanting, yearning for more.
The book will be published in October 2018. Amazon gives October 4, 2018, for the Kindle e-book.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Re: THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thanks Jarkko. This is going to be a treat worth waiting for.

Wendy
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Jarkko

Thanks for the info. Just one year to go... Counting down the days already!
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Ria Bellen

Post by Ria Bellen »

Thank you so much for sharing Jarkko !!!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Jarkko! Really looking forward to this new collection. Great news to wake up to.
Leonard we are forever grateful on so many levels...
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Well, this is something to look forward to!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Fantastic! A bit of a wait, but something to look forward to. Thanks for the heads-up!
Cate

Post by Cate »

I was hoping for something like this. Thanks for the good news Jarkko.
B4real

Post by B4real »

SOLD :D A thousand times over!

We are going to have to put the "P" word into serious practice now.....but a year goes by so fast these days!

This will surely be the brightest light to come. What an aptly named title.
The Flame "kindles a light for the lost"..... The Flame is "A million candles burning"
I'm sure "there's a blaze of light in every word"...
I'll stop now :)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Marvellous news!
B4real wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:59 am ... What an aptly named title ...
... Sure it failed my little fire
But it's bright the dying spark ...
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... CMP=twt_gu
The Guardian

Alison Flood
Friday 6 October 2017 06.00 EDT

Leonard Cohen's last book, finished 'days before his death', due out next year

The Flame collects unpublished poetry, as well as notebook entries and song lyrics, and offers ‘an intimate look inside the life and mind of a singular artist’

A book of Leonard Cohen’s final poems, completed in the months before his death and tackling “the flame and how our culture threatened its extinction”, according to his manager, will be published next year.

Describing the collection, The Flame, as “an enormously powerful final chapter in Cohen’s storied literary career”, publisher Canongate said that the Canadian singer-songwriter had chosen and ordered the poems in the months before his death in November 2016. The overwhelming majority of the book, which will be published next October, will be new material, it added.

Cohen, who died at the age of 82, originally focused his career on poetry, publishing the collections Let Us Compare Mythologies in 1956, The Spice-Box of Earth in 1961, and Flowers for Hitler in 1964. By the late 60s, he was concentrating more on music, releasing his first album, Songs of Leonard Cohen, in 1967.

Cohen’s manager and trustee of his estate Robert Kory said that pulling The Flame together had been a key ambition for the singer-songwriter at the end of his life. “During the final months of his life, Leonard had a singular focus – completing this book, taken largely from his unpublished poems and selections from his notebooks. The flame and how our culture threatened its extinction was a central concern,” said Kory.

“Though in declining health, Leonard died unexpectedly. Those of us who had the rare privilege of spending time with him during this period recognised that the flame burned bright within him to the very end. This book, finished only days before his death, reveals to all the intensity of his inner fire.”

In an interview with the New Yorker last October, Cohen spoke of how “my natural thrust is to finish things that I’ve begun”, and of how he was getting up well before dawn to write.

“I don’t dare attach myself to a spiritual strategy. I don’t dare do that. I’ve got some work to do. Take care of business. I am ready to die. I hope it’s not too uncomfortable. That’s about it for me,” he told the magazine’s editor David Remnick.

“In a certain sense, this particular predicament is filled with many fewer distractions than other times in my life and actually enables me to work with a little more concentration and continuity than when I had duties of making a living, being a husband, being a father. Those distractions are radically diminished at this point. The only thing that mitigates against full production is just the condition of my body … At a certain point, if you still have your marbles and are not faced with serious financial challenges, you have a chance to put your house in order.”

The Flame will also include an extensive selection from Cohen’s notebooks, which Canongate said he “kept in poetic form throughout his life”, and which it promised would offer “an unprecedentedly intimate look inside the life and mind of a singular artist and thinker”. The full lyrics of his final three albums, along with those he wrote for the album Blue Alert by his collaborator Anjani, will also be included, along with prose pieces and Cohen’s own illustrations.

Canongate’s Francis Bickmore, who acquired UK and Commonwealth rights, called it “a towering final book, hulking with morbid wit and lit up with insight … This substantial parting work, from a great artist now gone, will speak to anyone who has been moved by Cohen’s unique voice.”

The Flame will be published by Farrar, Straus & Giroux in the US, and McClelland & Stewart in Canada.

Marie
Speaking Cohen
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The book will have 452 pages.
(From Dominique Boile)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
phillip

Post by phillip »

Cant wait :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Great news, much better than the Montreal Tribute Concert one. Thanks for the info!
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
tularosa

Post by tularosa »

Same thing for me Okudzhava. Happy to see that I am not alone ... And now I am waiting for a CD, may be soon ?

Return to “THE FLAME - news and information”