Leonard's music in Anastasia, the NY musical (?)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Leonard's music in Anastasia, the NY musical (?)

Post by jarkko »

One of our members is now in NY. He reports:
Tonight I saw the musical "Anastasia". There were a lot of original songs, but the theme song, which was repeated 4-5 time, was Dance me to the end of love. I would say 75 % of the melody was there, but they had changed the last part of the refrain. The text was all new.

As far as I can see from Playbill, there is no credit to Leonard.
Any comments??
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Geoffrey

Re: Leonard's music in Anastasia, the NY musical (?)

Post by Geoffrey »

>As far as I can see from Playbill, there is no credit to Leonard. Any comments??

i think it's a two-way street. i was told by leonard's management that i would get a credit for doing the camera work on his 'souvenir' promotional video. i was paid handsomely, but my name appeared neither on the video nor the subsequent CD. to me it was just a trifle, didn't bother me very much because i know bad things happen to good people. i possess no ego, and was only too happy to help. that's me; i just pick myself up, dust myself off - and start all over again :-)
https://youtu.be/K4qDWchwHKk
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

It's a lovely video. Interesting that you got no credit, but then I am not surprised at anything that management does. Not just Leonard's management, but anyone's. I am glad you were amply compensated for what you did. And we all know what an honor it must have been to work any project of his. Love, Vicki
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

vickiwoodyard wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm It's a lovely video. Interesting that you got no credit, but then I am not surprised at anything that management does. Not just Leonard's management, but anyone's. I am glad you were amply compensated for what you did. And we all know what an honor it must have been to work any project of his. Love, Vicki
thank you, dearest vicki - good to be in touch with you again. hope you are keeping well.

after having looked through old correspondence, i find it was sony, and not leonard's management, that was at fault. mr kory is quite innocent in this matter, and i apologise if suggesting otherwise. sony told me "we will be sure to give you a credit for the footage!" i told leonard i was satisfied with that, but (as was typical for him), he was not - and insisted i should also be paid. he forwarded the short letter he had just written to mr kory:
-----------------------------
To: Geoffrey Wren <XXX@online.no>
Cc: Robert Kory <XXX@XXX.XXX>
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2015 9:19 AM
Subject: Re: latest developments

Robert, Mr. Wren should be compensated with more than just a "credit". I'm sure we can come up with something a little more generous than a "credit".

Thanks,
L

Sent from my iPhone
-----------------------------
upon receipt of leonard's mail, mr kory immediately wrote to me saying he would step in and correct the matter, which he did - and i received a more than generous sum from him. :-)
vickiwoodyard

Post by vickiwoodyard »

Yes, that makes sense, because Kory and Cohen worked hand-in-glove. You got the money that LC wanted you to have. The omission of credit more than likely is on Sony. I will say this. Now that Leonard has left the body, the people he called Friends know he is just as he has always been, impeccable.

For some reason, a Facebook Friend of mine sent me a photo of him with the words, "May the blessings find you in your solitude." I think she included the whole thing, but the last words always ring true for me.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

vickiwoodyard wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:13 pm Yes, that makes sense, because Kory and Cohen worked hand-in-glove. You got the money that LC wanted you to have. The omission of credit more than likely is on Sony. I will say this. Now that Leonard has left the body, the people he called Friends know he is just as he has always been, impeccable.

For some reason, a Facebook Friend of mine sent me a photo of him with the words, "May the blessings find you in your solitude." I think she included the whole thing, but the last words always ring true for me.
a beautifully warm response, vicki - thank you. you may not know, but leonard was once himself accused of not giving credit to someone. a gentleman by the name of ron cornelius said that he helped leonard compose the 'chelsea hotel' song. he complained that his name was omitted from credits on the copyright papers. the truth of the matter was that ron had merely assisted in a minor way, suggesting a chord change (hence 'chelsea hotel #2'). when leonard learned of ron's grievance, he invited him to dinner - and discussed the matter face to face. afterwards leonard generously declared publicly "from now on, let it be known we wrote chelsea hotel together." ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4849 ). i don't think many songwriters would have reacted as unselfishly as leonard did on that occasion, but that was typical of him, always eager to give someone more than their due. when i was desperate some years ago he filled my bank account without hesitation, and i hadn't even asked for anything. money seemed to mean little to him, even when he had almost nothing. when his previous manager stole his entire savings, he was naturally disappointed - but never ill-natured towards her, remaining a gentleman at all times. i don't think he would care very much about the 'anastasia' musical using his song without giving him credit. that's how he was, almost messianic.

"peter came to jesus and asked, "lord, how many times shall i forgive my brother for his sins against me - up to seven times?" jesus answered, "no, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."

https://youtu.be/6o6zMPLcXZ8

Return to “News”