Robert Kory's Remarks at Leonard's Memorial

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
MarieM

Robert Kory's Remarks at Leonard's Memorial

Post by MarieM »

Friends,

A memorial was held for Leonard on December 11 at Ohr HaTorah Synagogue in Mar Vista, California, for friends and family. I was unable to attend and asked Robert if he might send me the thoughts he shared with the gathering at the memorial. He kindly obliged. I found Robert's words comforting, as I never considered what Leonard hadn't had a chance to say given his unexpected passing. I obtained Robert's permission to also share his remarks with you.
Robert Kory – Remarks at Leonard Cohen’s Memorial, Sunday December 11, 2016

What can I say about my dear friend and client Leonard Cohen? Anything seems inadequate other than thanking him for the extraordinary opportunity to serve. I began working for Leonard in 2004, on a dark legal and financial rescue mission. But for the unqualified brilliance of my then associate and now law partner, Michelle Rice, we might well have failed.

But we succeeded, and our role evolved to that of personal manager, while continuing legal and financial duties. My relationship depended in large measure on our shared spiritual affinity, but we almost never discussed it, lest we frighten the muses. My job was to focus on the practical.

Through work for Leonard, I have come to know all of you in some way, and most of you personally. Some of you have known him through personal and/or professional relationships for decades; others of you met him through the recent, grand renaissance of his performing and recording career.

Leonard would want me to do two things today -- to express his gratitude for all you have given him and to ask each of you to forgive his limitations. He passed away abruptly, and had he known he was almost out of time, he surely would have extended the show to thank you himself, as he did every night on tour, despite my protestations about union overtime after 11:30PM!

Leonard needed to be alone to create his art. He also needed people as evidenced by his overwhelming generosity and graciousness. One of my most important roles was assisting him in finding a precarious balance between these two conflicting needs. The most significant result was a tour in which he luxuriated in solitude, even while traveling with the “family” of band and crew, even during the 387 performances to sold-out audiences in arenas worldwide.

He was surprised but nourished by such solitude on tour. And so, he directed me to start declining requests to meet off tour as well, even requests from close friends, colleagues and family. But for this solitude, we might not have his last three magnificent studio albums.

But Leonard also often shared with me his deep regret that his time alone meant that he could not see those whom he loved or colleagues who were so important to his work. So, he also tasked me with asking others to “please forgive his limitations.” That task became particularly acute during the last four months of his life when he was trying to finish a book, a solitary endeavor.

So that is the context in which I shall try to fulfill what I feel Leonard would want me to say.

For those of you whom he knew intimately, he would want you to be secure in the knowledge of his profound and lasting love, even though in some cases it “might have all gone wrong,” even though “love is not a victory march”, even though it is often only a “broken Hallelujah.”

For those whom he knew mostly through a professional relationship, he would want you to be secure in the knowledge of his deep appreciation of all your efforts to assist in his renaissance over the past eight years. You helped the world to recognize where he resides in the tower of song -- an unrivaled worldwide star -- and you have helped assure that generations to come will “continue to hear from him… long after he has gone.”
Marie
Speaking Cohen
vickiwoodyard

Re: Robert Kory's Remarks at Leonard's Memorial

Post by vickiwoodyard »

Moving words indeed, as we realize that Leonard's life was deeply guided by his innermost conscience to serve the gifts he had been given. And wonderful that Robert Kory was there to see that he had the necessary solitude to do it.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thank you Marie, and Robert for sharing this with us. It is deeply appreciated. I want to say more but the tears are coming.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Beautifull, thank you
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Marie and Robert, thank you for sharing these lovely, loving words...

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Judy

Post by Judy »

Thank you so much Robert Kory and Marie and Jarkko .....
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Marie for sharing Robert's remarks from Leonard's Memorial. Thank you so much Robert... I appreciate you giving permission to let us hear your words. Very touching and healing.
So much love...thank you.
Leslie PY
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Liesbeth

Post by Liesbeth »

I'm deeply touched by this words. Thank you!
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you to Marie & Robert Kory for sharing those very beautiful & moving words. And thank you to Robert Kory for serving Leonard so well & taking such good care of him. There are no words to express how much it meant to so many of us, to be able to see Leonard again, live & in the flesh, to have the honor of basking in the presence of that Great Spirit, to dwell for a while in that very special, transcendent realm that Leonard created & so generously shared through his sublime Art... I am eternally grateful to you for making that possible.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I have said very little so far following Leonard's passing - it has been far too painful for me to begin to express my feelings. However, I wanted to thank you Marie for sharing Robert's words and I wanted to thank Robert for allowing his moving tribute to be shared with us. He was such a good friend to Leonard and without his and Michelle Rice's tireless work looking after Leonard's best interests we might not have got to enjoy that wonderful late flurry of concerts and work from 2008 - 2016.

Wendy
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

Thank you so very much Jarkko and Marie for sharing Robert Kory's tribute to Leonard. Mr. Kory has always been kind and worked so hard in the best interest of Leonard's well being - and successful completed that mission. Yes, I agree with Wendy, without him we would have not been able to enjoy Leonard' s concerts in the last 5 years.
He will always live in our hearts.
Jutta
Henning

Post by Henning »

It feels good, to read this. Thank you, Mr. Kory.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
kenpal

Post by kenpal »

.......such lovely words.......so lovely to be able to read such words......life has changed since that November morning and such lovely words do help to mould the future....thank you..........he will always be there.......
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mr. Kory,

Deepest gratitude for your wonderful eulogy and much appreciation that you (and Ms Rice) were there for him and the care you took with him. We all benefited......

Thank you Marie for getting permission to post this.

Loving Regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
HermioneDanger

Post by HermioneDanger »

As ever, wisdom and warm reassurance that he felt the immense love we all had, he heard us shouting it up to his window in the Tower of Song.

Thanks for posting this. In the wake of losing someone who was a spiritual friend, this is the greatest comfort. In my solitude, he is there. In his, he knows I am there. That is enough.

Return to “News”