LC poems and songs translated into Greek

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Sophia

LC poems and songs translated into Greek

Post by Sophia »

Except "Book Of Longing" and "Stranger Music" in Greek there are also:

-"Μικρό Ανθολόγιο"(Small Anthology) by Takis Mendrakos, poet and translator,with poems from all over the world (including 7 LC poems for Canada).Mendrakos' (and Olympia Karagiorga's) LC translations were the first published in Greece in literature magazine "Diagonios",in 1975,issue 10. (publisher: Kastaniotis,1998)

-"Ο Θησαυρός της Χέλεν Σάλλιβαν" (The Treasure of Helen Sullivan),second part of an autobiographical trilogy by Amy Mims-Silveridi, translator, poetess and Leonard's close friend from the sixties.She met and had friendship with Gregory Corso, Allen Ginsberg and Leonard Cohen and she describes Greece of 60's through their eyes.Interesting details and photos,including also recent cards from Leonard thanking her for Greek poet Yannis Ritsos:-) There are also translated poems and songs into Greek and a cd with recitation of Corso, Ginsberg and LC poems (publisher:Odos Panos,2007).
amy mims.jpg
amy mims.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Sophia
Last edited by Sophia on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tomsakic

Re: LC poems and songs translated into Greek

Post by tomsakic »

Thank you, Sofia. Beautiful addition to the collection, particularly the first one has great artwork.

Tell me, is Nadel's book out now; did you buy it?

I am just updating BookOfLonging.com, and I am trying to reconstruct the schedule: first there was bilingual Book of Longing in March, then 2nd edition in July (same art cover, but English title removed as it wasn't bilingual as first edition?), and then Stranger Music in July?
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Tom, your schedule is right, except that second edition(only in Greek) was out in May.
Nadel's book is not out yet, but I was informed that we'll soon have it, I'll give you all details.

Sophia
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Sophia wrote:Tom, your schedule is right, except that second edition(only in Greek) was out in May.
That means that the first edition (2000 copies?) sold out in a month???

Until Ydra next year ;)
Tom

ps. Details about Nadel of course to Jarkko, to include it @ http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/book15.html . I am following only BoL.
Dem

Post by Dem »

Tom, the bilingual edition of Book of Longing
is not sold out yet.

Except the poems/songs translations that Sophia mentions
there is an old publication with many
of his songs lyrics translated into Greek of which I have some
photocopies but unfortunately I don't have any other
publication info about it.

Also the novel "The Favorite Game" has been translated
into Greek.

But there are some other Greek writers who mention Leonard
in their books, like Margarita Karapanou or Nana Isaia
who were part of the little artists' colony on Hydra.

Ice, the main character in Nana Isaia's novel "History then and now"
(available only in Greek), is modeled after Leonard Cohen.

Maybe we should make one day a special section on Greek
editions relevant to Leonard Cohen.

Dem
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Tom,the first BOL bilingual edition was out in late March and and the second one(of 2000 copies) in late May,so you can count almost two months:-)
Dem,perhaps you can still find the bilingual edition in some bookshops, but it was already sold out by Ianos in May.
It was in "best sellers" lists here for months, quite reasonable for the promotion by Ianos, given the five Philip Glass' performances that followed in July (having also special discount in Glass' tickets buying the book or Glass' BOL cd at Ianos bookshops) and of course the fact that it was the first LC poetry book in Greek (we had only "Favourite Game" in Greek).
"Stranger Music" by Ianos went also well,it was out just a few days before Athens concert (and it was in merchandising shop at Terra Vibe).It was definitely Leonard's summer here:-)
I mentioned only poems and songs translated into Greek but ,as Dem said, there are many direct or indirect references in other books.

Sophia
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

I recently discovered that the first publication of Leonard's poems translated in Greek was actually in 1971 by Andreas Angelakis (Kastaniotis publisher) :
Aggelakis.jpg
He translates poems from many countries including Canada choosing these Cohen poems:«Ο λόγος που γράφω» (The reason I write), «Ένα πρόσωπο που τρώει κρέας» (A person who eats meat), «Η Σουζάνα σε κατεβάζει» (Suzanne), «Καθώς η ομίχλη σημάδια δεν αφήνει» (Αs the mist leaves no scar ή True love leaves no traces), «Γράμμα» (Letter), «Ποίημα» (Poem) και «Δώρο» (Gift).
Some of them here:
http://www.elculture.gr/blog/article/%c ... %80%ce%bf/

I also found the issue of Diagonios literature magazine including Cohen's poems translated in Greek in 1975 by Takis Mendrakos and Olympia Karagiorga:
diagonios.jpg
They translate the poems:«Δώρο» (Gift), «Αλήθεια! Πόσος κόσμος ζει σε τούτη εδώ την πόλη» (I wonder how many people in this city), «Ιεροτελεστία» (Ceremony), «Χάι-κάι του καλοκαιριού» (Summer-Haiku), «Ό,τι μπορείτε να ξέρετε για τον Αδόλφο Άιχμαν» (All there is to know about Adolph Eichmann), «Το λεωφορείο» (The bus), «Νάρκισσος» (Narcissus), «Άλλη μια νύχτα με τηλεσκόπιο» (Another night with telescope), «Ήμουν χαμένος» (Road to Larissa), «Θα ’θελα να διαβάσω», «Ίσως να φταίει», «Όταν αυτή η Αμερικάνα» (When this american woman), «Προσευχή για τον Μεσσία» (Prayer for Messiah).

Updating this thread, I have to add also the greek edition of "Book of Mercy", translated by Dionysis Marsellos, published by Perispomeni (December 2013). More details about it here:
viewtopic.php?t=34767
to biblio tou eleous.jpg
In thε following link (article by Fontas Trousas),there are interesting details of the first LP releases in Greece, first concerts with LC covers and also an extract of Amy Mims Silveridi book mentioned earlier in this thread, talking about the idea Leonard had to sing Greek songs of a young songwriter translated by her in English. She chose to give him Dionysis Savvopoulos' songs ("Thalassa mikri", "To perivoli" etc), he was really excited, but the album was never released.
«Την επόμενη φορά που η Ντήρντρα (σ.σ. περσόνα της συγγραφέως) επισκέφτηκε τον Λέοναρντ, του έφερε μερικά τραγούδια τού Σαββόπουλου. Τα επαγγελματικά θέματα που την συνέδεσαν με τον Λέοναρντ ήταν πιο σημαντικά από τυχαίες “παρθενολογίες”… και η αδελφική φιλία τους που είχε αρχίσει την παραμονή της δεκαετίας του ’60, καρποφόρησε δώδεκα χρόνια αργότερα με μια συγκεκριμένη πρόταση για συνεργασία. Ο Λέοναρντ μόλις είχε ηχογραφήσει ένα δίσκο με εβραϊκά τραγούδια, που ο ίδιος τα είχε τραγουδήσει με τη δική του απόδοση στα αγγλικά. Το ίδιο ήθελε να κάνει και με ορισμένα ελληνικά τραγούδια, γι’ αυτό παρακάλεσε την Ντήρντρα να διαλέξει έναν νέο –και τόνισε τη λέξη “νέο”– συνθέτη ελληνικής μουσικής που θα του ταίριαζε. Ύστερα, θα ζητούσε από την Ντήρντρα να του μεταφράσει τα συγκεκριμένα τραγούδια και ο Λέοναρντ θα τα προσάρμοζε στο δικό του στυλ.(…) Τελικά η Ντήρντρα διάλεξε τα παλιά, λυρικά τραγούδια του Σαββόπουλου. Κάποια ηλιόλουστη Κυριακή πήγε στον Λέοναρντ τους δίσκους που περιελάμβαναν το “Θάλασσα μικρή” και το “Ανθισμένες κερασιές” (σ.σ. «Το περιβόλι»). (…) Με χαρά η Ντήρντρα διαπίστωσε ότι με τον δικό του ήρεμο τρόπο (ήρεμο στην επιφάνεια, μα με ένα ηφαίστειο στην ψυχή), ο Λέοναρντ ενθουσιάστηκε. Σε λίγο, εκείνος ζήτησε ν’ ακούσει ξανά τα τραγούδια, και τότε κατέβασε από τον τοίχο μια από τις κιθάρες του κι άρχισε να συνοδεύει τον δίσκο – αρχικά τραγουδώντας από μέσα του, χωρίς λόγια, αλλά στο τέλος, μαζί με τα σωστά ρυθμικά λόγια από την κατά γράμμα αγγλική μετάφραση της Ντήρντρας. Με την χαρακτηριστική της δονκιχωτική αισιοδοξία, η Ντήρντρα πίστευε ότι ο δίσκος “Ο Λέοναρντ Κοέν Τραγουδάει τα Αγαπημένα του Ελληνικά Τραγούδια” θα κυκλοφορούσε μέσα σ’ ένα χρόνο(…)». Δυστυχώς τέτοιος δίσκος δεν κυκλοφόρησε ποτέ.
http://www.lifo.gr/articles/music_articles/120397

Sophia
Leon Horton

Post by Leon Horton »

Hi.

I'm looking for info on the Beat poet Gregory Corso's adventures in Greece, in Athens and on the islands of Hydra, Crete and Aegina. Does anyone know where I might find mention of him in the numerous biographies and books on Leonard?

Return to “News”