Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
leonesa

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by leonesa »

I really feel devastated with his passing away!! LC so genius, so kind, so talented, so gentleman. so unique!!
eternal admiration!!
prettylies

Post by prettylies »

It's taken a while to post on this forum because I feel so sad. It feels like something I can't share with many people around me, because, well, he is a celebrity figure, not a family or friend, and he died at 82.

On the day that the news broke, I was going out to meet a friend (not an LC fan). I put my Unified Heart lapel pin on (I'd bought it at one of his concerts years ago) and at some point in the day I looked down and realised it had gone. It was a plain yellow one with just the unified heart symbol on it - it's no longer sold anywhere now. I know it's a huge longshot, but if anyone has one spare, let me know. I was so sad to lose it, especially on the day I really felt like I needed something, some sort of sign to transmit to others.

You Want It Darker is giving me so much comfort at the moment. It's such a beautiful album.

In 2008 Lou Reed said "we're so lucky to be alive at the same time as Leonard Cohen is". I did feel very lucky.

Leonard, if I could have met you in person I would have said thank you. Thanks for the harmonies, the lyrics and the strings. Thank you for your particular brand of "gloom", one that could raise a smile from me no matter how hopeless things have felt. Thank you for going back on tour, allowing me to witness you turn a large space of strangers into an intimate room of friends. Thank you for the solace, the comfort and the company. For the healing and the inspiration. Thank you for making broken things beautiful and for giving beautiful things grace. You touched my (un)perfect body with your mind, and sometimes, without your music I'd have had nowhere to go. I will always be grateful and I will lean that way forever.
lightning

Post by lightning »

prettylies

Post by prettylies »

That's it! Thank you. Shame I may have to buy into the eBay opportunism, but I may put a bid in...
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

idoek wrote:An Israeli online newspaper claims today that our beloved Leonard died in his sleep due to head trauma caused to him after he fell down in his house. What a tragedy! I am so broken from this news.
tragic. miss knowing he's around :-(
R.I.P.jpg
scorp

Post by scorp »

Found this, by accident - as it should be: LC + Jennifer Warnes, "Silent Night", Brighton, England, 1979. Needs to be cleaned up/enhanced. But - enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym5ip4CaOho
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

BBC Radio - Remembering Leonard

A few programmes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04fyjl3
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
phillip

Post by phillip »

To All my Friends I just want to say I have enjoyed reading all your lovely comments and as sad as the news is we continue to celebrate the life of Leonard Cohen, he is alive in our hears, minds, souls, music, poems, dvds etc and am greateful to all he has give us, and also for seeing him in Royal Albery Hall London 1993, Manchester and Birmingham 2008 Liverpool 2009 and Manchester 2013, Thankyou Leonard and we will make sure to keep the flame burning you are my hero, I will miss you but will always listen to your records, read your poems, watch your dvds and chat about you on here and amonst my cohen friends on facebook, love you Leonard and thank you from the bottom of my heart :)
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
B4real

Post by B4real »

I just received this email alert about Leonard. I can't see it posted anywhere here so thought people would like to read it. It's an interview with Jennifer Warnes after Leonard's passing.

'Born to be his conduit': Jennifer Warnes remembers her friend and collaborator Leonard Cohen

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... story.html
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I cry when I hear him sing.

I cry when I hear his voice in interviews.

I cry when I read his words.

I cry when I view his art.

I cry when I see his photos.

I cry when I read the condolences here.

I cry when someone offers me their condolences.

He ‘spoke’ to my being in every way possible.

But, my tears and grief are miniscule compared to the tears and grief of his family and friends.

Dear Adam, Lorca, Cassius, Viva, Lyon, extended family, Jarkko, Eija, Marie, his close friends, moderators, all my fellow forum members, all others who loved and cared about him,

My profound, deepest, and heartfelt condolences on the loss of a wonderful and caring father and kind, gracious gentleman of the highest caliber.

Adam and Lorca,

Thank you for sharing him with us all your lives.

He will forever be sorely missed by us all. His legacy will carry on not only by us, but by our future generations.

We’ll be hearing from him long after he’s gone.

Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
cloudlea

Post by cloudlea »

Much love to Leonard"s family . May you find comfort in the knowledge that so many carry Leonard in their hearts.

Deep peace of the running wave to you
Deep peace of the flowing air to you
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Last edited by cloudlea on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monica
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Can anyone confirm that the death was caused by a fall, a blow to the head, and that he died in his sleep?

Hal
rpan

Post by rpan »

At https://twitter.com/PoetCorey is a photo of Leonard with Kezban Ozcan, sourced from her, that I had not myself seen before, perhaps I just missed it.

It brings to my mind that I think some tribute should be paid to her for being such a great assistant over the recent years and right through I guess to the end.
Attachments
Leonard.jpg
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
BFT1

Post by BFT1 »

Au Revoir Dear Leonard

Woke up this morning feeling kind of strange
not like any other day
Then the anchor man profoundly announced
Leonard Cohen had passed away
Well it took the wind out of my sails
Knowing this was to be the end
Though we never met, “in my secret life”
He knew me as a friend.
As I stared into my coffee cup
My eyes released the tears
Then I smiled as angel voices sang
“Hallelujah” in my ears
Inspiration you gave to the world
With your genius words and melancholy rhymes
We hold you dearly in our hearts
But we can’t hold back the time.
Who knows, maybe someday our paths will cross
Only time will tell
So long Leonard my dear friend
So long Marianne as well.

Au revoir.
J.Tierney
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

There will never be another one like him. And a true gentleman. It is almost unbearable. I had hoped to have been able to have said a few words to him before he passed. If you are there, Leonard, please remember to look for me wherever you are.

Hal E. Lujah

Return to “News”