Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Violet

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Violet »

My angel,

I wasn’t going to write you here, but then I changed my mind. So many here are feeling just as traumatized as I’ve been feeling, and somehow I have found comfort in that. It’s only tonight that I’m beginning to turn the corner a bit as I’m maybe emerging somewhat from the absolute hell I’ve been undergoing since Thursday night on Twitter when I first saw the news.

I thought I’d link to this beautiful song that I know you’d like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys4aFdddFyQ

(Je L'aime A Mourir, Francis Cabrel)

[Ne veut pas dormir
Ne veut pas dormir
Je l'aime à mourir]

I won’t say good-bye because I can’t. I’ll just say what you already know..

.. that I love you, my dearest dearest dearest,

Violet x
Violet
JessicaHu

Post by JessicaHu »

Farewell, Leonard Cohen, my favorite artist ... Since the Ten New Songs introduced your Book of Mercy and Book of Longing to me, your deep bass voice, poems, books, music had been with me wherever I was, and will continue to be with me everyday.
alyza

Post by alyza »

francis wrote:Dear all,
In several messages I read that there will be a public commemoration in LA. Does anyone know more about this? When or where will this happen? Who's in charge of it? Etc.
Thanks,
Francis
I'm typing here from LA, holding tears, and guessing where and when the memorial service for our late (hard to accept, yet) L.C. is scheduled to be held. It must be here, in LA, when the seven day (Shevah) mourning period for his family according the Jewish tradition, is over. It's just my humble estimate: somewhat around next week. Please, let me know if somebody knows ahead.
AK
Angelalily

Post by Angelalily »

Like everyone else, I am so very sad that our dear Leonard has passed away and still find myself in tears now and again. I have loved his work since I first read Beautiful Losers in 1971 as a young teenager, and was then mesmerised by his voice and melodies when I bought my first album, Songs of LC. It has been a lifetime of love for his songs ever since. However, beyond the tears, I am also thankful that we were alive at the same time as him and so some of us were lucky enough to see him play in concert, which is such a blessing. June 20th 2008 in Manchester Opera House was the best night of my life, especially as I had failed to get tickets for his previous tour in the 1990s. I saw him in concert after that also, but nothing could surpass hearing ‘Famous Blue Raincoat’ in the encores that night. I am also grateful for his lifetime of commitment to his music, which means that the treasures kept coming over the years. ‘You want it darker’ is one of his best. Thank you, Leonard, for sharing your genius with us and enriching all of our lives for so long. My sincere condolences to Leonard’s family and friends for their immeasurable loss, and my best wishes to his many fans who, like me, are grieving in their own way.

Not sure if anyone else has posted this, but it is a great programme celebrating his life:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for- ... -1.3845596
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

http://www.wthr.com/article/kate-mckinn ... nard-cohen

WTHR
November 13, 2016
WTHR.COM STAFF

Kate McKinnon opens 'SNL' with beautiful tribute to Leonard Cohen

NEW YORK (WTHR) - Coming off a tumultuous elecion week, "Saturday Night Live" opened Saturday's show with a beautiful tribute to late songwriter Leonard Cohen.

Kate McKinnon, who portrayed Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton during the election cycle, sat at a piano in a white pantsuit and performed Cohen's "Hallelujah."

At the end of the song, McKinnon turned to the audience and, in character as Clinton, said "I'm not giving up and neither should you."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-_ZDrypec

Comedian Dave Chappelle hosted the show Saturday for the first time and was joined in a later sketch about Tuesday's election by fellow comedian Chris Rock.

"A Tribe Called Quest" was the musical guest, paying tribute to late bandmate Phife Dawg, who passed away in March.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
chengyichan

Post by chengyichan »

Dear Leonard,

Like a bird on the wire, I have tried, like you, in my way to be free. I am happy for you that you are finally free. But like fellow fans, I cannot bear the thought that you are no longer with us. At a difficult time like this, I would like to believe in what you wisely told us. "There is a crack in everything/that's how the light gets in." So long, Leonard. I am waiting to see the light getting in.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Message from Adam Cohen that he posted a few hours ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/BMvZ-8PgKld/
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Alan_1

Post by Alan_1 »

This morning at 1am I listened to Leonard Cohen's 'Tower of Song' a programme first broadcast on Radio 1 in 1994, where Leonard spoke about his songs and songwriting, with contributions from Jennifer Warnes and Susan Vega, It was so enlightening and it was wonderful to hear his take on his music. If you would like to listen to it you can here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b084nrw2
Manchester 18 June 2008
London 02 17 July 2008
Bournemouth 11 November 2008
London 02 21 June 2013
Alan_1

Post by Alan_1 »

Angelalily wrote: I am also thankful that we were alive at the same time as him and so some of us were lucky enough to see him play in concert, which is such a blessing. June 20th 2008 in Manchester Opera House was the best night of my life

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/schedule-for- ... -1.3845596
You are so right, I also saw Leonard in the Manchester Opera House in 2008 and it was also the best night of my life.

Thanks for posting the link it's a great programme!
Last edited by Alan_1 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manchester 18 June 2008
London 02 17 July 2008
Bournemouth 11 November 2008
London 02 21 June 2013
DMCQUAID1962

Post by DMCQUAID1962 »

Thank you Leonard for all those gifts of song that you gave to the world. You will be sadly missed by all your many fans. Thankfully I had the pleasure to get to meet you twice when you were in Dublin. Thank you also for signing my Guitar as you said you didn't like doing so. A treasure I will keep forever. RIP wonderful man!!
Tara Greene

Post by Tara Greene »

So sad to hear of Leonard's passing as is the entire world. I was a fan of Beautiful Losers and saw him play at a Love IN at Queen's Park Toronto in the summer of 1967 and subsequently at Massey Hall in the 70's. His soul infused every word and his deep voice intoned like an ancient High Priest. He thrilled me with so many songs. The soundtrack to my life. You inspired me to write. Proud to have you as a fellow Canadian. May you sing your Holy songs to the angels and to the Lord forever. Blessings to your children grandchildren and your family and friends, Your music lives always. I will observe the traditional 7 days of shiva for you. Thank you and God Bless you.

Prayers for the Soul of the departed Kel Maleh Rachamim

Translation:

O G‑d, full of compassion, Who dwells on high, grant true rest upon the wings of the Shechinah (Divine Presence), in the exalted spheres of the holy and pure, who shine as the resplendence of the firmament, to the soul of

Leonard Ben Nathan

who has gone to his [supernal] world, for charity has been donated in remembrance of his soul; may his place of rest be in Gan Eden. Therefore, may the All-Merciful One shelter him with the cover of His wings forever, and bind his soul in the bond of life. The Lord is his heritage; may he rest in his resting-place in peace; and let us say: Amen.
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

O Leonard! My Leonard!
We wanted it darker - but not this dark, dear Friend and Master.

Thank you for being a part of my life for over 40 years. Thank you for your poetry, drawings, songs, concerts.
Thank you for those books with personal inscriptions that you've sent me, and for the lithograph. They are priceless.

My deepest, heartfelt condolences to Adam, Lorca, and the whole family and friends.

Mirek from Poland
Carobed

Post by Carobed »

For many many years Leonard Cohen has been an essential part of my daily life. His music, his words were never far away. He was and is present in our house. Two posters on the wall, a portrait drawn by my then 7 years old son, all the books and CDs. Drinking from my cup of longing was always special, felt like drinking in some of his wisdom and comfort. Since the news last Friday, I feel so very very sad and lost. Somehow listening to Leonard made me feel that, no matter how painful or crazy life could get, all would be good in the end. Only 2 weeks ago, we (my husband, four sons between 12 and 19 - 3 of them had seen Leonard live in concert -and me) all cheered when we heared Leonard at number 1 in Vox on the radio. And now we are all heartbroken and in tears and we just don't know. Except for Leonard's message that love is all that matters, the only power that conquers death. We shall try to spread that love and Leonard, you will for ever be in our heart and soul. Thank you, dear man, have a great journey.
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Our deepest condolences for Adam, Lorca their families and to Leonard's close fiends.

Leonard Cohen and his music had and still is a significant part of our live, it brought us many, many wonderful things.

We will Keeping the Songs Alive,

Willy and Wijbe Lageveen
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Mistygris

Post by Mistygris »

Yesterday evening the French radio station RTL did a two-hour long hommage to Leonard. I found it very good. It is in French and in-between songs there are bits of interviews with Leonard in French. If anyone would like to listen, here is the link:

http://www.rtl.fr/culture/musique/georg ... 7785751570
London, 1976. Monaco, 2009.

Return to “News”