Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
regensburg

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by regensburg »

It is so sad that Leonard did not live to see the bench in Hydra being completed.
I forgot to mention it yesterday when I wrote my condolences.
Has anybody heard from Sharon? I feel so sorry
For her too.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Has anybody heard from Sharon? I feel so sorry
For her too.
Yes, losing her husband and then Leonard in a little more than a year is a terrible thing.

When we saw her in Amsterdam, she was bravely taking her wonderful talent on the road and was so very proud of their son. Deep condolences to her as well.
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
steff oates

Post by steff oates »

To all those who loved him (so so many)

This dear man has been such a major influence in my lifetime.

When Trump was elected I prayed that despite his ill health Leonard may help me find the words.

In some ways he did.

with love and appreciation to all who grieve him.

Steff Oates
dancer

Post by dancer »

I was privileged to see and hear Leonard five times in concert from 1992 to 2013 (3Victoria, 1Vancouver and 1San Jose). I was deeply moved on hearing of his passing on the CBC news. He was the most intelligent artist I have ever heard. Even in every day conversational observations he was profound. My sincere condolences to his family. He remains a national treasure in Canada and his work will live on.
dancer

Post by dancer »

One more comment to add to my last post.......many thanks to you Jarkko and Marie in Finland for all the time and energy you put into this forum. Your efforts do not go unnoticed and they are greatly appreciated. Thank you. Bob from Victoria.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Instagram:

ee_athina The beautiful #island of #Hydra #Greece says #goodbye to #LeonardCohen. "There is a crack in everything, that's how the #light gets in". Photo by @willvassilopoulos

Instagram:

rgb_arts Tribute. #people #idole #legend #leonardcohen

Instagram:

doctor_rock_site HOMAGE#gunsnroses #leonardcohen
(Guns n Roses paying tribute to Leonard Cohen)

Instagram

amysinger The altar created by Amanda's audience to Leonard Cohen. #leonardcohen #amandapalmer

Marie
Speaking Cohen
phammond

Post by phammond »

I am still mourning for a man and his music who helped me through a traumatic time in my life. You are no longer with us but you music will live on with your fans. I saw you 3 times in concert and those are memories will stay with me as long as I live, RIP
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

Sadness yes, but also celebration for a truly inspirational life. If only all of us could give just a tiny piece of the pleasure and joy Leonard gave to so many as he did, in their lifetime. Thank you for so many happy memories.
1972 : Royal Albert Hall, London.
2008 : O2, London X 2, Brighton.
2009 : Weybridge.
2012 : L'Olympia, Paris X 2.
2013 : June O2, London
Robert de Young

Post by Robert de Young »

It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah without your artistry in the world dear Leonard. I first came to your work through your poetry when I was 14, and I've been moved by your words, your music and your performances ever since. Thank you for sharing your work with us. Your wit and wisdom will be sorely missed, but you'll still be speaking to us sweetly from your window in the Tower of Song.

Condolences to your family, especially Adam and Lorca, and close friends (I think especially of Aviva and Robert).

Robert de Young
ursula48

Post by ursula48 »

I am so very grateful for the magnificent art, the wisdom, the kindness , the bliss , the love LEONARD gave us. We were so priveleged to celebrate the divine concerts with him listening to his poetry sung with his magical voice. The concerts were like high masses for me.
Besides his art his wisdom and kindness influenced me a great deal. He has been a teacher. He will be in my heart until I cross over, too.
I feel so much sadness, but much more gratitude.
ulla
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox »

SLM.jpg
da2008

Post by da2008 »

I still can't articulate my thoughts and feelings. I was working from home very late listening to Songs of Love and Hate until maybe 3am. Before going to bed, I checked my phone and saw the news just announced on BBC. It's been a blur ever since. I was in Brighton yesterday, where I saw Leonard give one of his best concerts in 2013. It feels very empty, but I can't say just how happy I am his poetry, songs and music are in my life. This forum has been a wonderful place. Jarkko has been so generous and patient with all of us. There's so many memories of meeting great people all over the world. It's changed my life. Thank you Leonard. May your soul be happy and free and inspire us all for ever more.
Jaxta51

Post by Jaxta51 »

From a small venue in Leeds University in March 1972 to London in 2012 and beyond, dear Leonard, you have been the soundtrack to my adult life. Thank you more than I can say. Love and empathy to all touched by his loss.
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in..."
Last edited by Jaxta51 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

I am so glad that Leonard was protected from media intrusion at the end.
We who didn't know him personally have nothing to " whine" about ( his word! ) We have such happy memories of his great concerts and the lovely people of many nationalities we met at them. We have all his albums to listen to, including his last, such a lovely requiem.
It is you, his relatives and close friends, who will really miss him.
My sympathy and gratitude to you.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Alan_1

Post by Alan_1 »

On Sunday at 18:00 (sorry previously put 16:00) GMT Radio 6 Music have a 2 hour programme 'Now playing@6 Music' - we (curate) create a playlist around the great man, what should be on it?
Hard to choose one song!

Here is the link to choose your favourite song:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/nowplaying/e ... f#comments
Last edited by Alan_1 on Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manchester 18 June 2008
London 02 17 July 2008
Bournemouth 11 November 2008
London 02 21 June 2013

Return to “News”