Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Fljotsdale

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Fljotsdale »

A sad day. Leonard brought joy to us all with his brilliant use of words, his humour, his warmth, his understanding of human nature...
My condolences to all his family and friends. They will miss him the most. But we love him as well. He is dear to us, and always will be.
The world has lost a great talent and a lovely man.
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Musician And Poet Leonard Cohen Dies At Age 82 | NBC News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRCRiZTkaFk

Leonard Cohen, Legendary Singer-Songwriter, Dies At 82 | TODAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7soixV-SUs
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
holydove

Post by holydove »

This is really too devastating for words.

A universe that gives us a being as magnificent as Leonard Cohen must be a vastly generous & kind universe.
A universe that makes him suffer & then takes him away from us must be a terribly cruel & merciless universe.

A world without Leonard Cohen just feels completely impossible & unacceptable. A unique & brilliant flame that can never be matched, has been blown out. But yes, he does live forever, in his music & poetry, & in our hearts.

I keep thinking, "where is he now?" I want to know where he is.

It is my deepest & most sincere hope that our beautiful, beloved Leonard is now released from all the pain & suffering, & that peace & comfort are with him now & forever.

My dear Leonard, you walked into my soul so many eons ago, for which I am eternally grateful, & you have been with me through all the fires & earthquakes, the sunshine & the storms. You have been & always will be the one who awakens my heart. I love you forever & I will miss you so very much. It is my other deepest hope that we will meet again somewhere down the road. . .

Sincere condolences & gratitude to Leonard's children, family & friends, who were by his side through the painful preliminaries. And thank you to Adam, Patrick & everyone who was involved in the completion of Leonard's exquisite new album, which will be with us forever, & which has already gotten me through a very difficult & sorrowful night.
Last edited by holydove on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deena

Post by Deena »

Goodbye, darling Leonard
KenKurzweil

Post by KenKurzweil »

What a huge loss.
Through Leonard’s words and music, he was my constant companion since hearing the first words of “Suzanne” in 1967 through hearing the last note of the last song on his latest CD in Amsterdam, and all the many stops along the way. Through all the ups and downs in our lives, Leonard somehow had the words to console us, to lift us, and put it all in perspective.
I am so happy that over the last number of years, Leonard was able to witness the number of people who were so touched by his work. I will always picture in my mind him standing on stage beaming with humility and pride as people shared their love for him.
My deepest condolences to everyone in his immediate family and his huge extended family.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Roy

Post by Roy »

bigdee

Post by bigdee »

What a sad day for us all :cry: I guess we all saw it coming though many of us tried to look away from the obvious. I just watched the newly released blu ray version of McCabe and Mrs. Miller last night. At one point while one of his songs was playing my mind drifted to wondering if this would be the last time I hear him singing these songs while he is still with us, not knowing he had already left.Then this morning I woke up late and had a look at my phone and saw a flood of condolence texts from my friends who heard the news before I did. I thought the day it happened I'd catch the news from a flash on the TV News, or a few moments after my daily care free click while on the net to come here to read the latest comments and to see what is going on at "Camp Cohen". I never thought it would be through my friends and their knowing of my devotion to Leonard's works that they would break the bad news to me. I'm grateful that it happened this way, it made it sting a little less though the pain is still very real.
Anyway, I send my condolences to Adam, Lorca and the rest of his family. I also send my condolences to everyone else who has joined us on the journey Leonard has sent us on. I know I don't know too many of you personally, but I do hope I get to see you all again (as Leonard would say) "somewhere down the road".

Cheers,
Dave
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
hereford22

Post by hereford22 »

I am so sad that my hero has gone! I spent the Falklands war listening to his music and words. It got me through some bad times. When I received a text from my partner telling me that Leonard had passed I was playing a cd in the cae and it was rather poignantly "Closing Times."

His spirit lives on in his music and he will always be my hero as he has been since the sixties when I first heard his music.

Anthony Anderson
Wilmslow
alois

Post by alois »

I thank you Leonard for your wonderful music and lyrics that helped me through some difficult times.
Ever since I bought your first record Songs of Leonard Cohen back in the sixties I was overwhelmd by it's beauty and warmth and you continued to do so for many decades .
I remember the concerts you gave in my home town which r will be a lasting memory.

You may be gone but your songs and lyrics will forever be remembered.

Al, Antwerp/Belgium
crista

Post by crista »

A great artist has left this world. His songs and books remain with us. My condolences to family and friends.
1979 Cologne Messehalle 8 - 2012 New York Madison Square Garden - 2013 New York Radio City Music Hall x2; Zurich Hallenstadion
mersey me

Post by mersey me »

For the sword outwears its sheath,
And the soul outwears the breast,
And the heart must pause to breathe,
And love itself have rest.

(Leonard Cohen)

Thank you Dear Leonard for the words of seemingly infinite meaning from your soul in which we find a resonance that opens our eyes to beauty. For loving to dance and for loving to smile and for giving of all your heart and for holding up the world so gently.

We love you, Leonard

A friend
howthelightgetsin

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Just can't believe this year... can't believe there's no more Leonard. His lyrics are ingrained in me, his words have comforted me many a time. His words have amused me, his dry sense of humour, his wit. So many great songs. This has always been one of my go to songs when I need a release https://youtu.be/vDYDkM-zT4I
I've seen many live, he beat them all hands down. No artist has ever spoken to my soul like LC
Goodbye Leonard xx
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Your voice may be still now,
but your words will live on forever.
Rest In Peace dear Leonard.

Marsha
Last edited by friscogrl on Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
silvergreen

Post by silvergreen »

I can't believe he's gone!!!
My heart is broken...
Life will not be the same without him.
Time has stopped.
Tears in heaven... :cry:

Thank you, Leonard, for gotting me singing, thank you for everything!

"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in..."

[attachment=0]2.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 2829 times
Waiting for the miracle to come...

Return to “News”