Leonard Has Passed Away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
outbroker

What Leonard did for me

Post by outbroker »

On Leonard

I was old enough to appreciate the references in McLean’s “American Pie”, but too young for any personal connection to them. Coming of real age after Woodstock and Vietnam my somehow smaller, less involved generation as young people lived those experiences through older brothers and sisters if we had them. Otherwise we were aware of and maybe felt the upheavals in social conscience and art; we didn’t internalize them. They were ‘events’ of probable historical significance but really, who would know for twenty or thirty years? When we expressed empathy, we usually found acceptance, but those who’d been there didn’t get a lot out of those of us who claimed appreciation, because frankly we didn’t. We were searching for our own identities, and in some ways those kids five years before us had stolen the good, meaningful stuff, everything from the Beatles to protest to jeans and free love. We were, at best, along for the ride; the kid brother in the back seat with a learner’s permit but no car of our own.

Today, November 10, 2016 Leonard Cohen died. Through reading I knew of his slow rise to fame, disappearance from general renown and rebirth in our collective consciences. Had his business manager not robbed him of millions and more or less forced him back on the road he might have gone into another slow fade in many of our minds.

Leonard was cool in a lot of ways. I found him in my early teens, when volumes of his poetry were making the rounds at about the same penetration levels as his early music. He was a richer worded, even less harmonic (!) Rod McKuen, having the advantage of being just outside main stream, giving him the dubious advantage of being less a flavor of the month and more a select, rarer spice with hardcore devotees. His inability to sing turned into an advantage, forcing audiences to listen to his words more than how he delivered them. Yeah, there was a lot of Dylan in that approach, but he just seemed to care less about being hugely popular, or even hugely influential. That’s not a shot at Bob, our newly minted Pulitzer Prize winner, but I found Cohen’s images a little richer, a little funnier. He knew life was serious but not intended to be constantly taken seriously. He talked of all our flaws and made sure you knew he had as many as those listening. His condemnations were less harsh, but still powerful.

There are some artists who transcend generations, letting those of us who weren’t there at the beginning jump onboard, those already on the bus warm and welcoming. And the funny thing about the ones who’d been taken cross-country many times: they didn’t shove that in your face, because Leonard had taught them experiencing the journey, however often you could, was the most important thing. In life, he loved being a passenger as much as the driver or tourguide. But I’m forever grateful he, and those who’d been with him from the start, let me ride along.
Inna

Re: Leonard Has Passed Away

Post by Inna »

I am writing this several hours since I cried. I, like all of us, lost a very special friend, maybe the only friend of my life, someone who could touch the deepest chords of the soul, someone who could understand what I was going through.

I extend my sincere condolences to Leonard's family.

I was very fortunate to attend three of the Master's shows, one of which was in Tel Aviv in 2009. One of the most memorable events of my life.

I will never forget you friend. Thank you for being you. You gave me strength when strength was a rare commodity in my life. I will meet you, hopefully, some day.

Goodbye,
Yours forever,
Inna.
"climb on your tears and be silent, like the rose on its ladder of thorn."
Paris 07/07/09, Tel-Aviv 24/09/09, Salzburg 27/07/10
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

I didn't think this day was coming so soon. I feel so blessed to have had the chance to see Leonard Cohen, even though I was a late bloomer and to meet so many wonderful people during that short time. I appreciated so much this forum, where we all connected and felt the community that was so special to us, that gave us a place to meet, plan and know that we stood together for something that was magical and mystifying. Thank you everyone and thank you Leonard Cohen.
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr »

Leonard, I have been a fan ever since my grade 7 teacher played Suzanne for us. Thank you for your generosity and for opening my mind to poetry. I'm not sure I wanted it darker, but today it surely is.
SuffolkLass

Post by SuffolkLass »

So so sad to hear that Leonard has passed away. He has been a part of my life since 1969 and hardly a day has passed since then without listening to his music. I've had the privilege of attending a few of his concerts and my admiration of him as a singer and songwriter, but particularly as a kind, gentle, humble, compassionate human being (so many more adjectives I could have used), knows no bounds.
We will all miss him terribly but must be thankful for the joy he has given us over the years and the unexpected bonus of his world tour. He will never be forgotten and will live on in our hearts and in his music.
My condolences to Adam, Lorca, his family and friends.
RIP Leonard.
HPorter

Post by HPorter »

it was at the Confederation Centre, Charlottetown, P.E.I. in 2008 when my wife MelanieJane and i were fortunate enough to go to the show......so special......
thank you Mr. Leonard Cohen for everything.
love henry
BobDavis1010

Post by BobDavis1010 »

My heart is heavy and deeply saddened...my lifelong hero, mentor, and song writers songwriter, Leonard Cohen, has died at 82. His deep, mystical, and insightful thoughts and writings spoke to my heart since 1967 even until now. Just 2 weeks ago, his last CD was released and I knew it would be his last. Gini and I got to see him in concert years ago and it fulfilled my dream. He will be dearly missed but his words and music will live on in my mind and heart forever. Thank you Leonard...my hero, my friend. ~ Bob
Prayers to his family and friends...
kalyinka

Post by kalyinka »

Leonard Cohen, you wrote my city, my life. The alley in winter, candles making the frost on the window turn to steam, love that is illicit and true, a young man playing the ukelele in the metro, leaves blowing in the gutter, walking alone, the time my cat died and I spent the afternoon drinking vodka and watching Taxi Driver with Dmitri, that first night when I played Take this Longing for Bruce, songs on the guitar after an evening of wine, my son's name, my heart broken, brick walls, the sound of a party on a balcony, oh Len, my heart broken.
Half your songs were about death anyway, so maybe we will get more words from you from the other side, from the tower down the track.
Until then, I just wanted to say thanks. You made it all magic.
Anna.

Post by Anna. »

I was growing up in your presence, first time i've heard your golden voice i was 13, your poetry helped me survived the most difficult moments in my life, my despair, grief, depression, solitude.
You touched bottom of my soul.
Thank you Sir Cohen.
Anna from Poland.
Martinv

Post by Martinv »

Mr. Cohen thank you for so many lovely hours of great poetry and music I lived with for so many years now.
Three years ago I went to the last concerts in the Netherlands, Rotterdam and Amsterdam with my 87 years old father. My father died 4 months later...... Now I''m feeling a kind of lonelyness that is about the same.

Mr. Cohen R.I.P.
1976 Amsterdam, 1988 Amsterdam, 2004 Rotterdam, 2010 Gent, 2012 Amsterdam, 2013 Rotterdam, 2013 Amsterdam
DoctorK

Post by DoctorK »

Thank you for a lifetime of truly great songs.
Songs that have meant so much to so many.
So long Leonard, RIP....
phillip

Post by phillip »

I am so saddened and shocked at Leonard's passing, Thankyou Leonard for all your poems and albums and DVDs etc which I love so much for 28 years and I will continue to listen to your songs and read your poems for the rest of my life, I am so privilaged to of seen you 5 times in concert too your poetry and songs will live on for ever in my and everyone else's hearts. Thankyou Leonard and rest in peace we love you. my thoughs are with Adam Lorca and family.
Last edited by phillip on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
harald

Post by harald »

He was ready.
Now he overcame the „preliminaries“.
He gave the world all he had in him.
Gave us so much.
Worked to the end, You Want It Darker, left us with a great au revoir.
At last he was permissioned to lay down the burden.
No need to be sad.
My feelings are with all who were close to him.
With all who felt close to him.

Dear Leonard
Thanks for enrichening our lives.
Your work and your spirit will remain in this world.
May you be blessed on your journey on.
Heartfully,
Harald
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Fljotsdale

Post by Fljotsdale »

A sad day. Leonard brought joy to us all with his brilliant use of words, his humour, his warmth, his understanding of human nature...
My condolences to all his family and friends. They will miss him the most. But we love him as well. He is dear to us, and always will be.
The world has lost a great talent and a lovely man.
Only just found this video of LC:
http://ca.youtube.com/user/leonardcohen?ob=4" target="_blank

This one does make me cry.
rimpoce63

Post by rimpoce63 »

Heartbroken, blessings to the family, the friends and everybody else.

Return to “News”