199Dan

Re: advice from leonard :-)

Post by 199Dan »

Great advise ! But what's in the glass ? :D
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

199Dan wrote:Great advise ! But what's in the glass ? :D
well, you have to use your imagination, and imagination is more important than knowledge, because knowledge is limited while imagination encircles the world - an intelligent man once said :-)
Karren B
Location: At the Cottage in the Village by the River near the Castle.

Post by Karren B »

Mine's a large Lagavulin...Cheers Geoffrey. xx

Still think your Leonard silhouette would have been a better album cover for 'You Want it Darker'

It says it all without words...
'Take the breath of a new dawn
And make it a part of you.
It will give you strength'
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Karren B wrote:
>Mine's a large Lagavulin...Cheers Geoffrey. xx
>
>Still think your Leonard silhouette would have been a better album cover for 'You Want it Darker'. It says it all without words...

my word, i am not sure it is wise to dance a jig with a bellyful of scotch, unless one wears a helmet, maybe. i don't know what was on leonard's mind when he composed those words, but he is usually occupied with matters of the heart. the way we interact with one another often causes things to get "really bad". love is not rational. you fall in love, you lose control - is that good or bad? unrequited love kills more people each year than sharks and rattlesnakes combined, and that is definitely not good. lovers go hand in hand over a sort of bermuda triangle; a territory where reason and common sense often disappear - and love can eventually go the same way. who am i to say, but i'd wager that's what leonard was thinking about.

yes, the silhouette picture would have been a better choice than one promoting the tobacco industry - i agree. well, it has been drummed into me since adolescence that i have no worth, so disappointment is not an unknown emotion. a cabbage, never very good at anything, hopelessly inept where others excel. that is why i never expect to win a competition, or be given recognition of any kind. best to know one's station, or else be hurt. in any case, leonard was possibly onto something when he suggested "raise your glass"; i might just follow his advice right this minute. wine, not whisky.

"fill me with the old familiar juice, methinks i might recover bye and bye!"

thank you for writing my dear karren :-)
-gxxx
Karren B

Post by Karren B »

Aahh not just a belly full of scotch Geoffrey, we’re talking liquid gold; and bearing this in mind
" love is not rational. you fall in love, you lose control - is that good or bad? unrequited love kills more people each year than sharks and rattlesnakes combined, and that is definitely not good”
Although I haven’t checked these statistics, I will need at least a 34 year old 60% Caol Ila.

I don’t know about promoting the tobacco industry (maybe I should be boycotting this thread, but I’m all for medicinal tobacco) but your silhouette picture still has a bigger impact than the official album cover. And it does look very good on my wall….

Does anyone really know what Leonard is thinking; does Leonard know what Leonard is thinking?

I too enjoy a very good red wine when I feel good; but a single malt is called for when you really don’t know what the fuck you’re doing with your life, apart from watching it slowly spiral down the nearest drain, but at least you can do it in style …
well, it has been drummed into me since adolescence that i have no worth, so disappointment is not an unknown emotion. a cabbage, never very good at anything, hopelessly inept where others excel. that is why i never expect to win a competition, or be given recognition of any kind. best to know one's station,
Yeah right! Tell me who would be brave enough to tell you that? ... Bet they’re eating their words now.

Love your pictures (not all of them ;-) ) and should comment more, but sometimes words seem so empty and boring, and the amount of people viewing your work speaks for itself!

Hope you are well and wishing you all good things G.
Karren xx
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Karren B wrote:
>Love your pictures (not all of them ;-) ) and should comment more, but sometimes words seem so empty and boring, and the amount of people viewing your work speaks for itself!

>Hope you are well and wishing you all good things G.
>Karren xx

hei karren. i am fine, as hopefully are you, although it's hot here. the paintings of which you speak were not meant to be devices designed only to capture praise. indeed, as long as an occasional picture is able to prick someone, it has served a valuable purpose :-)

with the thermometer on my balcony at 43 degrees at 2pm today, the sun has poured down not like honey, but like boiling oil.
balcony.jpg
here is a photograph of ålesund taken this afternoon from aksla, the mountain behind my home, where i sat late afternoon with three ladies and sipped black coffee, before going back down to the still sweltering town :-)
aalesund.jpg
why don't we all share some photos. this one was taken by somebody else and sent to me:-)
photo from saliha.jpg
Karren B

Post by Karren B »

All your pictures serve a valuable purpose Geoffrey! I know I said I don't like them all but that's just me (and you know I love the monochrome ones). They are all good in the eyes of each individual.

I don't think I could deal with 43 degrees, I never knew Norway could get that warm; I always thought of Norway as being cold. I have trouble dealing with UK temperatures, and at 43 degrees I wouldn't be drinking coffee...

You live in a very beautiful place and look very happy, and I hope life is treating you well.

I like the idea of sharing photos; here's one taken this week at my allotment... Luscious, ripe and larger than life!

One of my giant pumpkins, ready for harvesting for Samhain (pronounced SOWin). :)

Wishing you all good things G. xx
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

thank you, dear karren, for a prompt and delightful response, as well as showing me the enormous pumpkin you have managed to grow. goodness knows what proportions it will reach by the time halloween/samhain arrives in another four weeks. although never myself having carved one, i have had the privilege of seeing some pretty creative 'jack-o-lanterns'. one that made a big impression was sculptured after edvard munch's iconic 'skrik' ('scream') painting, including the hands on either side. another was leonard's 'self-portrait' pumpkin from 1994
( https://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/pumpkin.html ).
such originality and inventiveness has, unfortunately, always eluded me.

once again, thank you for adorning an otherwise dull column with your refreshing contributions. here is a scene from 'youth', an utterly outstanding movie from 2015. like the 'skrik' and 'self-portrait' pumpkins, made a big impression on me :-)
-gxx

https://youtu.be/ZxYSH6_vPog

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”