New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
Bennyboy

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by Bennyboy »

JudasPriest wrote:Now I'm wishing Happens to the Heart was on it... Beautiful lyrics.
Lol, having a cup half empty day mate?
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Hope not Benny! All part of the expectation management game I'm playing re the new album - playing and losing I might add...
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi
The album cover of "You Want It Darker" was designed by the Belgian Bruges-based artist Sammy Slabbinck who got in touch with Adam Cohen after Adam liked a few of his works on Instagram. They exchanged a few thank you's by email and later Adam contacted Slabbinck, asking if he would like to do the album artwork for the latest Leonard Cohen album. Adam admitted he himself and his father were both fans of Slabbinck's works and later Slabbinck received a few video messages from Leonard himself (through Adam), playing the piano and guitar. For the design of the album cover, they wanted something "iconic" and sent Slabbinck only 1 photograph to work with, a photograph taken at Leonard's place.

A small interview (in Dutch) with Slabbinck was on Belgian's radio "Studio Brussel" this morning, explaining these details.

For the Dutch amongst us: the interview starts around 2h 47m 15s into this fragment:
http://radioplus.be/#/stubru/herbeluist ... 63edf843f/

Maarten

Edit:
Sammy Slabbinck on Tumblr: http://sammyslabbinck.tumblr.com/
Sammy Slabbinck on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/SammySlabbinckCollage/?fref=ts

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks for investigating and sharing that, Maarten!
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney »

So pleased I dropped in today - this is such good news and made my day!
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

https://twitter.com/sylviesimmons/statu ... 5491080193

sylvie simmons
‏@sylviesimmons

Just dotted the last i on my review of #LeonardCohen's new one. My review, like Leonard's album, out late September.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

My review, like Leonard's album, out late September.
This means that Sylvie's review in Mojo will be out a month or so before the album.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

jarkko wrote:
My review, like Leonard's album, out late September.
This means that Sylvie's review in Mojo will be out a month or so before the album.
That's not the meaning of her sentence though - the 'like' means the review and album release are at the same time surely? She might be wrong, of course, but that's the literal meaning of what she says.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

That's how I understood it, too. I wanted to say that her information about the release schedule has not been updated if she thinks the album is coming in September (simultaneously with her review which probably will be in the October issue of MOJO, at the newsstands after mid-September). The album will be released a bit later, most likely in late October, but the date has still to be confirmed.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Sylvie Simmons ONE WORD review already published

By the way, after four plays I've changed my one-word review on the new #LeonardCohen album from great to magnificent.

https://twitter.com/sylviesimmons/statu ... 8134299648
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

cohenadmirer wrote:Sylvie Simmons ONE WORD review already published
Now mine as well:
Itsaprettygoodalbum
oul

Post by oul »

faboloso I can't wait !
Diane

Post by Diane »

I've enjoyed reading the previewers' impressions, thanks. Even Ken likes it - it must be good!
maphoner

Post by maphoner »

I agree Diane; I liked what we heard in Amsterdam, but if ken likes something it must be really good...!
☺ Tom
of course you say you can't complain
Kali

Post by Kali »

Looks great!!

Return to “You Want It Darker”