New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Leonard Cohen's last studio album (2016)
sturgess66

Re: New Album announced: 'You Want It Darker'

Post by sturgess66 »

Article in Rolling Stone -
EXCERPT (link for complete article is below) -
Leonard Cohen Announces Haunting New Album 'You Want It Darker'
82-year-old singer's 14th studio album features nine new compositions

Leonard Cohen has announced that his new LP, You Want It Darker, is arriving this fall. The album, featuring nine new songs, is Cohen's first studio LP since 2014's Popular Problems.

Sony Music, Cohen's label for five decades, calls You Want It Darker a collection of "haunting new songs," with the "lucky few" who have heard the album deeming it "a masterpiece" and "classic Cohen." Leonard's son Adam Cohen produced the album, Cohen's 14th studio LP. In June, a portion of the album's title track debuted in the show Peaky Blinders.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... er-w434168
Last edited by sturgess66 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phillip

Post by phillip »

wow cant wait so excited woo hooo :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

John Etherington wrote:When I heard the title, I heard the title I had an ominous feeling that it might be Leonard's "Blackstar", but I see that "You Want it Darker" is the name of the opening track.
In the sense of an album the artist knows will be his last , or a release which coincides with the artist's death/ or both ?
Dark thoughts indeed , but hopefully fleeting and without foundation.
Would be good though if it's as artistically interesting as Blackstar.
My immediate thoughts were more about the chances of live concerts featuring material from this album and popular problems. I guess the chances of that too are low.
Also is interesting that the announcement coincides with the Amsterdam meet up. Immediate thought was whether people attending might get a first listen... Probably not of course.
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
jerry

Post by jerry »

These are either very long songs or this is a very short album. Only 9 tracks,
Poetry is just the evidence of life. If your life is burning well, poetry is just the ash.
Leonard Cohen
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

That is good news...I do want it darker but light is ok as well. It probably will be a light to the world.

Pleased to hear that those who have heard it described it as a masterpiece' and 'classic Cohen.' I hope that this is not the type of hype that record marketing people accompany with every new release for artists.

I personally like classic Cohen and have not warmed to the past two albums which for myself seemed to lack the Cohen melody, sensitivities and ear and appeared to be more Cohen poems put to a music background by others, that is my impression anyway, although I know most people on here will disagree.
rigray

Post by rigray »

Great news about upcoming new album. If this was recorded using his current touring band it will be awesome. Nice cover by the way.
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
yopietro

Post by yopietro »

A new album of Leonard Cohen songs. Finally some good news in the world!

(And judging by the title, this may just be the definitive chocolate concept album for which we have been waiting so long).
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

For those who are in Amsterdam and have read my greeting in the Event booklet:
I'm saying there that the album will be released close to Leonard's birthday. The info was correct by the time the booklet went to the printing house. The final release date will be a bit later, a month or so.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

So late October?
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

What great news! Can't wait to hear Leonard's new album. Every era is "classic Cohen" and soon we'll be gifted with another addition to his ongoing creative journey. Listening to Leonard's music and reading his poetry is like sitting by glowing embers on cool autumn nights. Just when you thought fall couldn't get any better, 'You Want It Darker' comes along to keep you warm. Timely and timeless as ever.
Will... If It Be Your Will
confetti

Post by confetti »

I haven't been on here for ages, so hello to everyone that remembers me. So excited about the new album, great title, this will make the winter a little brighter.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Just got home from the first day of the Amsterdam Event, and guess what? We got an very exclusive first hearing of the complete album :D . Sounds great and very well worth waiting for.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
B4real

Post by B4real »

B4real wrote: I reckon those lucky ones in Amsterdam will get to hear the album - good for them!
HugoD wrote:Just got home from the first day of the Amsterdam Event, and guess what? We got an very exclusive first hearing of the complete album . Sounds great and very well worth waiting for.
Thanks for the confirmation, Hugo :)
.... and if there are any details about it you wish (or are allowed) to divulge I'm sure will they be most welcomed!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
dafyddpj

Post by dafyddpj »

I was very moved by the album. Took several minutes to recover. I think it will become a favourite along with Recent Songs and Songs of love and hate. Dafydd
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

B4real wrote:I reckon those lucky ones in Amsterdam will get to hear the album - good for them!.
I didn't expect that. I thought that maybe we would get to hear one new song, if we were lucky.

Return to “You Want It Darker”