R.I.P. Andrew McGeever

This is for your own works!!!
margaret

R.I.P. Andrew McGeever

Post by margaret »

It is with great sadness that I inform old-time members of the Forum of the passing away of an early member and contributor here, mostly to the poetry section.

Andrew's wife Lesa rang me last night after receiving my Christmas card. It seems Andrew died in February quite soon after being diagnosed with cancer. He was only 64 and had not long retired from teaching.

We had talked on the phone from time to time and met a few times at Leonard Cohen gatherings, and had stayed at each others houses when attending Leonards concerts in Edinburgh and Liverpool. Andrew was an enthusiastic and accomplished poet and a lovely man.

Rest in peace Andrew.

Margaret and John
Attachments
004 (800x533).jpg
Geoffrey

Re: R.I.P. Andrew McGeever

Post by Geoffrey »

margaret wrote:. . . Andrew died in February quite soon after being diagnosed with cancer. He was only 64 and had not long retired from teaching.
no, no, no, this is too sad, had no idea. he and i participated in what must surely be one of the most interesting interactions in the history of this poetry section. i was so very impressed at the way he responded to me, but unfortunately didn't tell him so. this is tragic news :-(

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5681
Diane

Post by Diane »

Thanks for letting us know this sad news, Margaret. Andrew was a fine poet. Too young, surely.

That was a fabulous and fun thread, Geoffrey.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Andrew's eldest son Jamie McGeever informed me about the illness of his father in February. Andrew had been diagnosed with cancer in July 2013.

Andrew was a regular contributor to our Forum up until a couple of years ago. He also composed a poem for the Grand Master himself a few years ago, and got a reply from him. Jamie also told me that his father wanted “If It Be Your Will” to be played at his funeral.

Rest in Peace Andrew.

Read the story behind Andrew's poem here: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/hydraC2F.html
Mythologies and Oranges

For Leonard Cohen

My mother once told me I looked like you:
that handsome, half-wolf, half-lamb profile,
angled for intellect with carnal intent.

I counted the steps it took to climb
from the harbour to your whitewashed house
on Hydra. Hashish and retsina danced
as cigarette smoke-stanzas curled above
your battered typewriter: my ground, quicksand
against the pull of your poetry.

You became my cantor-conjurer,
spinning conundrums through my parenting years;
the centrifuge that drew me to the Jew
who harped beyond the strictures of belief.

Your ageless voice, like my mother's script
on your first album sleeve, remains;
"submit to tea and oranges,
beware the harbour of mythologies".

Andrew McGeever, 2000.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

My deepest sympathy to his wife and family.

Through his posts here, he taught me much. He will be missed and fondly remembered.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Diane wrote:That was a fabulous and fun thread, Geoffrey.
thank you, diane, it was indeed fun, was it not! i like to think andrew enjoyed it too - i sincerely hope so.

http://announce.jpress.co.uk/edinburgh- ... _scot_scot
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Andrew was a charming and admirable man. He was a talented writer as well. I am very sad to hear that he has died

Sue
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
mutti

Post by mutti »

sending condolences and strength to Andrew's wife and family.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Cate

Post by Cate »

I remember that thread Geoffrey, it seemed like good fun.

My condolences to Andrew's friends and family.
Kush

Post by Kush »

RIP. I enjoyed his poems, his sometimes spirited and always honest contributions (no bs!) and our interactions.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, dear. This c.aught my eye just as I was signing out of the Forum just now. Read the announcement, and the other replies. This is very sad. I had hoped to meet Andrew one day, but that never happened. We did have a lovely telephone conversation as I sat with other newly-met Cohen friends in Margaret and John's backyard. Andrew was a delightful and lovely man. I remember when he first posted his great poem as a tribute to Leonard, and am so glad to know that Leonard responded to him as a result. I'm happy to see his poem and its explanation receive lasting tribute on this Forum.

Such a loss and at such an unfairly young age.My heart is with Andrew's wife and son and all of his other loved ones. I'm privileged to own a cd that his son made and which Andrew sent to me. He was so proud of his son and his music. His voice, music, and singing reminded me of a/the pied piper. And the lyrics he wrote were meaningful.

Andrew's death is so sad. He was still so young and vital, and had only a brief time to enjoy his retirement. Such a great teacher he must have been.

May you rest in peace, Andrew. I am so glad to have known you.

~ Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Pete

Post by Pete »

This is so sad. I was fortunate enough to meet him in Liverpool when Leonard last played there.
He was so proud of his son's music ventures and sent me copies of Daniel's wonderful songs.
It is such a shame that he didn't get to enjoy his retirement in full.
A sad loss. R.I.P. Andrew
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Margaret ~

When you and John stayed at Andrew's house, I'm hoping and thinking [but still wanting to confirm] that he was able to see Leonard perform live. I see now that you've JUST answered my question to Margaret, Pete.

~ Lizzie
~ Oscar Wilde
margaret

Post by margaret »

Yes Lizzie,

Andrew and I saw Leonard perform live at Edinburgh Castle, when I stayed over for a couple of days at his home, and Andrew came to us when Leonard played in Liverpool. John and I also saw his son Daniel play with his band in a club in Chester one night. I feel so sad that that he didn't get to enjoy much retirement time. For a few years he was hoping to take earlier retirement but wasn't able to do so. This news was so unexpected as he was relatively young, strong and fit. We never know what is around the corner for us.

Margaret
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you for your response, Margaret. It added even more to what I'd asked and I appreciate that. I would love to have seen Daniel perform live, and am so glad that Andrew was able to see Leonard not just once, but twice. Yes, it's gutting to think how little of retirement he had, and even more so knowing that he had wanted to retire earlier. It's very difficult to imagine him gone.
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”