Karen Weitzner has passed away

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Karen Weitzner has passed away

Post by jarkko »

Yesterday we received sad news from Laura and Andrew Weitzner: their beloved mother Karen Weitzner has passed away on December 4th in New York.

Karen's close friend from college, Gina, introduced her to Leonard Cohen's music in college 42 years ago, and ever since Leonard's songs were always present in her life.

Karen was one of the very first ones to contact me back in 1995 when I joined the old Newsgroup (and a bit later launched the Files), and our email correspondence continued until November this year.

Eija and I first met Karen at the Montreal Event in 2000, and then again in New York in 2004. In her home-town she also performed at the Open Mic with her children Laura and Andrew.

Unfortunately serious healt issues made it impossible for her to travel, and she had to follow our activities from distance. Thanks to the help of Laura and Andrew, Karen got chance to see some of Leonard's last Grand Tour concerts in New York.

Karen had a living will, where she requested her funeral include "Sisters of Mercy" which she called her desert island song--"if you were on a desert island, what would you bring..." she would bring the "Sisters of Mercy" song. She also wanted "If It Be Your Will" and the one line from "The Window"--"Gentle This Soul".

Rest in Peace, Karen. Eija and I would like to express our sorrow and condolences to Laura and Andrew.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Geoffrey

Re: Karen Weitzner has passed away

Post by Geoffrey »

jarkko wrote:Yesterday we received sad news from Laura and Andrew Weitzner: their beloved mother Karen Weitzner has passed away on December 4th in New York.
sad news indeed, jarkko - am lighting a little candle.
https://youtu.be/WPlyqsbCADo
dick

Post by dick »

RIP Karen
Condolences children.
dar

Post by dar »

So sorry to hear Karen has passed away. I met her in NYC and she was a wonderful woman and a true Cohen fan. My condolences to her friends and family.
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

I can truly say Karen was a friend of mine, we'd e-mailed each other over the years; I'm very sad. My thoughts include the "27 angels from the great beyond" who are looking after her now. R.I.P.
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Very sad news. We met her and her children in NYC. Deep sympathy to her children and family.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's very sad that Karen has died so young, and that she was only able to participate in our various gatherings by reading about them from afar. I, too, met Karen in New York and her commitment to Leonard's work was deep. I offer my condolences to her two, lovely children, Laura and Andrew; and to you, Jim and Jarkko, for your own loss of a friend.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
uncleerwinone

Post by uncleerwinone »

I am sorry to read this news about Karen.

May I add a line from Boogie Street: "we are so lightly here ...".

my condolences
Ruth

Return to “News”