Terrible news from Hydra

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Dem

Re: Terrible news from Hydra

Post by Dem »

I am thinking if we,as the Leonard Cohen Forum, should
send a condolence letter to Mrs Christina (maybe a bit later)?

If you need any help about writing it in Greek or whatever
please tell me.

I am thinking about this tragic event all day long today and iI still can't "realize" it.

Dem
Athens 2008, Prague 2009, Paris 2012
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

When i saw the thread headline i imagined this might simply be about permission being refused for the bench .
I couldn't have imagined what i read .A shocking and appalling crime .i have not yet made it to hydra , but know it vicariously as a small and close community, no doubt stressed by the pain of austerity. Today that community must be in shock, maybe even fear , and grieving
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm stunned. I, too, thought it was related to the bench.
Seeing what it is actually about, and that the violent death of Manolis was a result is beyond shocking.
Thank you, Jarkko, for sending flowers on all of our behalf.
The current economic crisis in Greece explains for me the presence of that kind of money in their home.
The letter is a good idea, Dem.
This is unfathomable and desperately sad. My heart is with Cristina.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Tripping

Post by Tripping »

My thoughts are with Christina and her family and friends.

This is such sad and shocking news.
Thank you, Jarrko, for organising flowers.
If there is anything we can do, please let us know.
Lynette
Marseilles 2010, Barcelona 2012, London 2013, Amsterdam 2013. Hoping for more ..
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

I am so sorry to hear this dreadful news and can only imagine the awful grief and shock Christina must be feeling. With Greece's current troubles it is easy to understand such an amount of money being left on the premises but hard to take in this terrible outcome.

Thank you, Jarkko, for organising the flowers so quickly, and if there is anything we as a group can do to help I am more than happy to contribute.

My heart goes out to Christina, her family and friends and the Hydriots as they go through this heartbreaking time.

Janet
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

ekathimerini.com just publicized a photo of Mr. Manolis Economou.
My thoughts are with his wife Christina,his family and friends.

http://www.ekathimerini.com/200619/arti ... erna-owner
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Dem

Post by Dem »

Here are the latest news from Hydra according to several Greek news sites:

Police in Hydra have detained 7 persons of Georgian descent (two of them are waiters in the tavern and the other five seem to be members of a Georgian gang that came to Hydra from Athens were they had also done some other robberies.
Two more persons seem to have escaped from Hydra taking with them the money and the jewels they stole.

Police is not sure if the two waiters have anything to do with the robbery.
They worked for years in the tavern and never had created any problem.

The other five keep silent which police officers say it is typical
of Georgian gangsters.

Police is also investigating DNA and other traces that the robbers left behind in Christina's house.

Dem
Dem

Post by Dem »

Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Very shocking and awful news. Thank you, Jarkko for arranging to send the flowers. Our deep condolences go out to Christina and her family and all of the Hydriots.

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's hard to think of anything else today beyond what Cristina, and all of her and Manolis's relatives and friends, and the people of Hydra are going through. Especially seeing that they had such a heart for the people from this region, praying that their two employees were not a part of this horrid plot and heinous, tragic acts.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
holydove

Post by holydove »

Even though I never met Manolis or Cristina, I still feel pained & shocked by this horrific news. Condolences to Cristina, family & friends. If there is anything we can do to help, please count me in; & thank you to Jarkko for so kindly sending the flowers.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

No words, still no words. Deep condolences to Cristina, the family and the islanders.
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

I am shocked and saddened by this horrific news. Both of them were so warm and welcoming to all of us and Cristina is one of the most gentlest people I have ever met. Thanks Jarkko for sending condolences on our behalf to Cristina and her family.

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Sad and distourbing news.
All our thoughts are with Christina and her family and with all the Hydriots.
Thank you for organising flowers Jarkko.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

This morning Lakis delivered our flowers and condolences directly to the house of Cristina and Manolis.
There will be a memorial ceremony today.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “News”