Articles From Singout magazine - 1967

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
KenKurzweil

Articles From Singout magazine - 1967

Post by KenKurzweil »

I just received a gift of an original copy of Singout magazine - Aug/Sept. 1967. In it are two articles about Leonard and the music to Suzanne. The articles were published just before Leonard's first record was released. Interestingly, one of the articles was written by Buffy Sainte-Marie who I believe to this day is the only person to have recorded Leonard's "God is alive, magic is afoot."
The article are an interesting read considering when they were written.

I scanned the articles but they are too large to attach here, so I put them in a dropbox folder and you can download it from there. Here is the link;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w88c6s6hcfj3f ... 1.jpg?dl=0

Enjoy.
Ken
its4inthemorning

Re: Articles From Singout magazine - 1967

Post by its4inthemorning »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for posting this. Especially interesting was the Buffy Saint-Marie article on Leonard's music, I wish it was longer! I had previously seen the part at the end in one of the many biographies (Nadel's?) and had always wanted to read the entire article. It provides some insights not expounded elsewhere.

Don't know if you recall, but Joann and I met you and and Suzanne in Barcelona in 2012 during the meet-up activities that were kindly arranged by Beatriz. I recall an enjoyable conversation after lunch in the courtyard outside our restaurant. Hope you are both well, maybe we will meet again in some memorable place for a future concert (we're waiting for the miracle).

Curt
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
Hartmut

Re: Articles From Singout magazine - 1967

Post by Hartmut »

Thank you, Ken!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”