Multiple identities

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Athnuachan

Multiple identities

Post by Athnuachan »

Is it ok on this forum for one person to post under multiple identities, praising one's own post if nobody else does, and jumping to its defence in insulting terms under various posting names if someone dares to question it? (Would not be tolerated on some other forums with which I am familiar.)

If it is acceptable here, perhaps such threads should be flagged as "Old boys/old girls network only - exclusively for those "well in"
(or who like to think they are!) with LC.

This would prevent others venturing onto such threads in the innocent belief that a forum is a place of open discussion.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Vicomte

Re: Multiple identities

Post by Vicomte »

It's alright for you Athnuachan, I can't even comprehend some of the posts these days. Either these people are incredibly educated in a University not far from this planet, or I am as thick as a plank. Probably the latter as the usual suspects reply to them in the same bizarre code like speech and I am left to scratch my head in bewilderment.

Anyone in mind for those with two, or more identities? It would make it easier for me to understand that the same person is responding to some of the posts that I haven't a scooby about what the person(s) is on about :shock:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

Vicomte wrote: Anyone in mind for those with two, or more identities? :
This has often happened in the " Own writing" section - fair enough, creative writing can be creative.
(Although even there it's a bit disconcerting to find someone's female persona praising the work of the same person's male persona! :? )

Having been away from the forum for a few weeks (must do that more often...) I caught up with a few threads, including the one beginning to "You.." etc. Multiple identities there, definitely, defending a level of personal abuse I have not seen before on this forum. (It has since become a "love-in", as those with independent voices withdrew from the charade, not surprisingly.)

At least you gave me a laugh with your head scratching! :lol: Maybe some are trying to write in the style of "Beautiful Losers".
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I think i know one of the threads being referred to here - made a few comments on it then gave up .
'complained' to the moderators about some of the more abusive comments that appeared there with the response that they are more or less ok and we shouldn't take them too seriously.
personally think it would have been good if even the 'possibly tongue in cheek abuse' got deleted , but all still there .
I guess its not too uncommon to have pseudonyms and alter egos, perhaps more common in these days of social media .
Agree Vicomte that some posts , for example by the member with the feel good name recalling a popular kind of confectionery , are very hard to understand (but then not sure i want to be on the same wavelength as the author..... absolutely no disrespect intended).
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

cohenadmirer wrote:I think i know one of the threads being referred to here - made a few comments on it then gave up .
Not surprised, cohenadmirer, I think your charity and forgiveness there under pressure were exemplary!

Was in a doctor's surgery today. Public notice read: "Insulting or aggressive bevaviour towards staff will not be tolerated."
Same should surely apply on line.

Jarkko, this is YOUR forum. You yourself outed the "multiple identity " poster, implying that such bevaviour was not acceptable here.
(Those who can claim to have shared an ice cream with Leonard Cohen are not or should not be in charge here! )

I return to this forum only because of the interesting, multi-racial people I have met, through the forum and at LC concerts.
One of its attractions for me was that people of various nationalities could get on so well together. Let's not spoil that.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

From stone to waves cathedrals are still cathedrals and Gargoils are still G. They may have some disturbing traits but the good fellows among the attendants are not the ones to be scared away. Bad spirits are.

As for this individual which name can not be written (just in case it may appear right there in the middle of the thread), my theory is : glossolalia.

Regarding Liz, we can put her under the category YUP. Yet Unidentified Phenomenon.

None of these characters may put a life in danger. Not even harm the health.

Though I hope the Gargoil did not share an ice cream with LC. This would not be hygienic.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Regarding Liz, we can put her under the category YUP. Yet Unidentified Phenomenon.
:lol: How did I get into this? :lol:
Just scrolled back through the few postings, and sure enough, my name appeared only through your mention, Tchoc... perhaps, suggesting I might be the infamous, elusive Big Foot... or Loch Ness Monster... or some other some such? ;-)

Other than those possibilities, I can't fathom why my name surfaced :) [strange... ]
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Beam me up, the lunatics are taking over here and soon the forum will only have those that speak in riddles, or worse still, incomprehensible nonsense. Athnuachan, you could be facing a losing battle here, the problem is the fools don't even know they are doing it.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Certainly a more interesting creature Liz.

Vicomte, stay around here. I go.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
John K.

Post by John K. »

OMGasp!!1! First is Trollkind beating up a writer because being a well known and rich attorney who gets murderers off just isn't enough for him. Then Snowball is making inappropriate abusive comments to those he feels are of lesser stature than he is. Now TChicklet makes odd comments about Lizzy. All I need to find is Muddy going on about libruls and YdF whining about a usurper to feel like I'm back in the old dark days again.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

So this is what 'the old dark days' were like. :roll: :lol: We have so much to look forward to don't we :?:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

No, this would be a very watered-down version of those days, actually... everything John mentioned would have to happen on the same day, and it would go from there with a whole lot more.
~ Oscar Wilde
John K.

Post by John K. »

lizzytysh wrote:No, this would be a very watered-down version of those days, actually... everything John mentioned would have to happen on the same day, and it would go from there with a whole lot more.
I should have added something like "and now John K. summarizes everything in a snarky manner" to my last post, 'cause that's also reminiscent.
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

You're right, John.
Snarkiness was not in short supply anywhere... by anyone choosing that route ;-)

I've always wondered as to the identity of the person [presumably a man, but who knows] who got into writing very loving and a appropriately affectionate/flirtatious/classy in those realms to me. What he wrote was lovely! NO PM's, but when he somehow got 'too close,' I flared up and went flying backward! And it all stopped. It was just very very sweet... and I've always wondered who that was. Probably no one but me remembers the exchanges :)
~ Oscar Wilde
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

And there you have it in a nutshell. All the reasons I never signed up to the forum before Leonard went back on tour and we had "real" stuff to talk about!!

Wendy

Return to “Comments & Questions”