New Album: Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget on retail sites

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
rigray

Re: New Album: Leonard Cohen - Can't Forget on retail sites

Post by rigray »

Lovely album cover! Really excited about this news and I can't wait for to hear all the details. Thanks for the teaser, Jarrko.
Dublin May 1976 /Dublin Dec 1979 / Dublin Jun 1983 / Dublin Mar 1985 / Dublin Jun 1988 / Dublin Jun 2008 / Dublin Jul 2009 / Sligo Jul 2010 / Dublin Sept 2012 / Dublin Sept 2013
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Seems like somebody on DrH Guy's new website may be onto something with what will be on the new tour album. Seems the album may be made up of soundchecked songs never played live at a concert during any of the tours. This is copied from his website, NOTE THE REPLY TO SAM'S POST FROM DrH Guy who said he already saw the album at Roscoe's house:

Sam Sampson March 14, 2015 at 10:42 pm
I’m hoping they maybe recorded and included in this release some of the songs LC and the band rehearsed at the soundchecks but never actually played in concert. You know the ones that were at the bottom of all those setlists that people posted pictures of during the course of the tour. Off the top of my head I’m remembering “Field Commander Cohen”, “There is a War”, and “Passing Through” as a few of them on those lists that were never done in a concert. I also remember somebody caught LC doing “Stranger Song” at a soundcheck and posted it to youtube. I also seem to recall Jarkko mentioning sometime during the 08-10 tours that he was at a soundcheck somewhere and the band was working on doing the 10 New Songs version of “A Thousand Kisses Deep”. I would love to get to hear a recording of that!!

Reply ↓
DrHGuy Post authorMarch 14, 2015 at 10:59 pm
Dreams can come true, it can happen to you …

If it's true then this is probably going to be my favorite release of the tours :D :D . It also explains why the cover art showing a venue full of Cohens and no other audience members may have been chosen.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Well well well...before I've even got round to buying Leonard's last live album, I suddenly find via TWS FB page that another one is on the way! This one seems like a good idea since it appears to include unreleased songs with less-frequent tour songs. In that respect it will be along the lines of my favourite Leonard live album "Live Songs". I do get some sense of closure with this one, and if it is Leonard's last album it might be a good way to go (especially as "Popular Problems" was such a masterpiece). Then again, who knows? He may keep going till he's 90. I like the cover with Leonard at the centre surrounded by his various selves. I also like the title "I Can't Forget" since it's one of my top five Leonard songs. I think we can safely assume that will be on it. It will be interesting to see what other choices Leonard has made and what little secrets he has up his sleeve!
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

John Etherington wrote: This one seems like a good idea since it appears to include unreleased songs with less-frequent tour songs.
Time will tell, John. Sometimes there's a reason for some songs being unreleased or less frequently performed on tour - usually because they don't work ! (With the resources presently available, or with LC's voice as it is now.)

Joan of Arc for instance - I love the original recording, but recent attempts have been wisely, I think, excluded from recordings so far.

Still, any album now is a bonus, and apart from this we all know another studio album is on the way! :D
Ring the bells that still can ring...
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I wonder if we will ever get a cd of Leonard reading his poems. I love to hear him reciting.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
rike

Post by rike »

While I look forward to hearing him sing (after all "[we got him]singing") for years and years to come, I always am enraptured when he recites his poetry. Maybe we can start a movement . . .
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
meglos2000

Post by meglos2000 »

I remember someone saying here that a full recording of him reading Book Of Longing was done for the Philip Glass music project. I would dearly love to have those recordings on CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

A recording of LC reading Book of Mercy along with strings also exists I have heard once. That would be a treasure
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

peter danielsen wrote:A recording of LC reading Book of Mercy along with strings also exists I have heard once. That would be a treasure
Sorry, Peter, but - viewtopic.php?p=30994#p30994
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Bearing in mind that most (all ?) of the Grand Tour concerts were recorded, what would really make this a great souvenir would be if each copy sold came with a voucher to download a concert of your choice ...
London 25/7/1985
London, Royal Albert Hall 30/5/1988 & 10/5/1993 :
Manchester Opera House 20/6/2008 : Vienna Konzerthaus 24/9/2008 :
Cardiff 8/11/2008 : Manchester 30/11/2008 : Berlin 2/7/2009 :
Lille 25/9/2010 : Paris 29/9/2012 : Rome 07/07/2013 :
Bournemouth 26/08/2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have moved the rest of this thread to the Can't Forget thread at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35825
Please post comments about the new album there
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||

Return to “News”