What has happened to 1 Heck of a Guy?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Clementine

What has happened to 1 Heck of a Guy?

Post by Clementine »

:( I can't access this wonderful website and the google abstract seems to suggest that he has closed it down. Can anybody tell me what's going on please?
Adrian

Re: What has happened to 1 Heck of a Guy?

Post by Adrian »

"As some of you already know, DrHGuy.com is now closed and 1HeckOfAGuy.com will close in a couple of days. I apologize for the abrupt termination. The reasons, which have accumulated over time, are too complex, painful, and sad to go into. As Leonard once said about losing his retirement fund, 'It’s enough to put a dent in your mood.'

I have hopes of resurrecting a Leonard Cohen site at some point, probably with an audience limited to readers with an interest in and respect for the sort of material I offer, but I don't know when/if that will take place. If you would like to be informed about such a project should contact me at DrHGuy@1HeckOfAGuy.com . Please enter “Leonard Cohen Project” in the Subject Line and include your name.

I appreciate the kind thoughts and good wishes extended by many readers.

Allan
~aka DrHGuy at Heck Of A Guy"

The message above appears on the facebook page of Allan Showalter https://www.facebook.com/ashowalter1 as of yesterday.

Allan, of course, is the marvellous author of the blogs "1 Heck of a Guy" and "DrHGuy" known to, and loved by, Leonard Cohen fans and more world-wide.
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

Thank you. I'm not very good at Facebook. Is there a more detailed explanation or is this it?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

That's the sole explanation from DrHGuy that I've seen. If you visit facebook, the rest of that thread comprises comments from readers expressing their feelings.

Perhaps we'll hear more - here or there!
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
holydove

Post by holydove »

Adrian, thank you for sharing Allan's facebook post. I never go to facebook, so I hadn't seen it; I have, however, been reading Allan's blogs for a long time, so I greatly appreciate your kindness in posting the info here. Thanks again.

And thank you to Clementine for starting the thread & asking the question.
AlexandraLaughing

Post by AlexandraLaughing »

Thanks to all. Sad- these were/are both great sites.

I hope Dr Heck himself is all right, but I hope at least he can take comfort in how much joy and laughter he has given LC fans over the years (even though I only discovered him a month ago, I feel as though I have gotten years of fun out of the two sites!).
phillip

Post by phillip »

it is sad news but at least we still have this site which I love
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
regensburg

Post by regensburg »

Yes, it is very sad, but he gave us an option if we are interested in the "Leonard Cohen Project" which he might open, then we can E-mail him. Hopefully he will be able to continue on that if a lot of people are signing up for it.
Allan done a terrific job with all the information, pictures etc. about Leonard. I know we all will miss that. Thank you for your hard work. Jutta
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

I am so sorry to hear that Allan Showalter has decided to close both of his wonderful sites. I really enjoyed them over the years. Hopefully he will be back soon for those of us who love all things L.C
Olwen/Ireland
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

I am just heartbroken - as I said to DrHGuy in an email. Whenever I was down I would visit that site and remind myself of all the reasons why I was - well, why I AM - a Cohen fan. I do hope he can bring it back in some way, shape or form. I can't imagine life without it!
sereneava

Post by sereneava »

I agree so much with all the previous posts. I feel as if I have lost a friend. Most of all I send best wishes to Allan Showalter in whatever is happening in his life.

For those who don't do Facebook, his email address is DrHGuy@1HeckOfAGuy.com with the subject line Leonard Cohen Project and include your name, if you are interested in being advised if he starts something new.

Susan
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Yes, it´s indeed very sad that doctor Heck´s site is closed as i mentioned on facebook.
I have also noticed that Marie´s Speaking Cohen is now closed and
that´s a great pity because it´s such a huge "Archive of Everything about Leonard Cohen"
Marie, thank you for your enormous engagement for the Cohenites !!
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

This came as a bolt from the blue.
It's tragic that these marvelous resources have simply disappeared, and at present the reason is unclear .They will be hugely missed
anyway much gratitude to allan for the dedicated work and very best wishes.
If there should be future projects i would be extremely interested
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Elvira

Post by Elvira »

So sad to hear this very bad news .learned so much about Leonard Cohen, through his witty comments and insight. I do hope that, One day , he comes back to us. Thank you for sharing the information.
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

Perhaps Jarkko can enlighten us more on what is happening?
Olwen
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.

Return to “News”