Leonard Cohen interview with Jian Ghomeshi

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Dasia

Leonard Cohen interview with Jian Ghomeshi

Post by Dasia »

The CBC has let it be known that in the near future they’re going to make unavailable interviews Jian Ghomeshi did on the radio program Q. (He has been let go after being charged with sexual assault.) Unfortunately this would probably include the one Jian did with Leonard Cohen at his home in Montreal in 2009, which is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh8Xe6hX7U. Some Canadians who heard this on Q on Monday morning have been objecting on the “Q on CBC Radio” Facebook page. I certainly hope they will change their minds.
lizzytysh

Re: Leonard Cohen interview with Jian Ghomeshi

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for posting this at this crucial time, Dasia. I see I spelled Jian's last name incorrectly, but this is the message I wrote on the CBC Q Radio Facebook site [in a message there, that is]:

"I've heard on NPR of your plans to remove ALL Jian Gomeshi's interviews due to the sexual assault charges against him. I certainly agree that action ought to be taken and agree with his firing. However, it's so UNFAIR to the artists themselves! He was an accessory to the interviews, NOT the star! I've just watched an EXCELLENT interview that he did with Leonard Cohen on Q TV and it's heartbreaking for people who love Leonard Cohen to think that this insight into Leonard will disappear forever. Please let the interviews with all artists stand. It will not stop people from judging Jian as he ought to be judged, but you're throwing the baby out with the bath water to remove the interviews themselves."
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MarieM

Re: Saving Leonard Cohen interview with Jian Ghomeshi

Post by MarieM »

Thank you, Dasia, for the heads up on this.

I have copied the video here:

http://youtu.be/fdR-Cfz6PM4

I would invite others to also copy this video and post the URLs of their copy in this thread so that we may have as many available as possible.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
rike

Post by rike »

Dear Marie,
When I tried to open your copy of the video (I think I watched it in the past and it is, indeed, excellent) I got the message "This video is private," and could not open it. Maybe you have a way ... Thank you.
rike
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I had tried to post it to my Favorites, but I've either lost those altogether, or they don't show as an option for this video.
My thinking on keeping the link [which I'll do regardless] is that if CBC removes the video, which you click on the link, it will just state that it's been removed. I'm hoping that as many people as possible will write to CBC and strongly encourage them to not remove Jian's interviews because JIAN screwed up... the ARTISTS didn't!
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I don't know how to copy a video vs. just copy a link to it.
When I tried your link to the copied video, I got the same "private" message and a "sorry about that" ~ I can still get to the video through the link, though [and it turns out I had already copied and given myself the link to it in my email]. Don't know how long that will last, so hopefully people who've never seen it before will get to see it before it gets pulled, if it gets pulled. I'd like to think that CBC re-thought their punishment strategy.
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

Try this link as it is still working. Click in the black space as it takes awhile to load.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh8Xe6hX7U
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

rike wrote:Dear Marie,
When I tried to open your copy of the video (I think I watched it in the past and it is, indeed, excellent) I got the message "This video is private," and could not open it. Maybe you have a way ... Thank you.
rike
Thanks much, Rike. I have changed it to unlisted.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
rike

Post by rike »

Thank you, all.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Marie!
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

There must be whole careers for people in the industry now erasing the radio/televisual archives of disgraced celebrities or re-editing programmes to remove any hint of their former presence. It strikes me as ahistorical, a bit weird and slightly Stalinist, but then you gotta laugh....After all, you've only got to change over to a history channel and your almost guaranteed to hit a programme featuring an undeleted Adolf Hitler strutting his stuff.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I think the inclusion of these videos is as instructive and deleting them we learn nothing.
Such as the irony that Jian is so intent on getting an answer from Leonard regarding women's impact on his life [destructive/constructive] when, it turns out that he [through women] ended up very destructive in his own life on this very topic. And, in fact, Leonard offers so much wisdom in this video that we can all find instructive.

Let history stand where it may! It reminds me of the Book Burning.
~ Oscar Wilde
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

lizzytysh wrote:Yes, I think the inclusion of these videos is as instructive and deleting them we learn nothing.
Such as the irony that Jian is so intent on getting an answer from Leonard regarding women's impact on his life [destructive/constructive] when, it turns out that he [through women] ended up very destructive in his own life on this very topic. And, in fact, Leonard offers so much wisdom in this video that we can all find instructive.

Let history stand where it may! It reminds me of the Book Burning.
I thought, when I head the news about Ghomeshi's firing (less than two weeks after I shook his hand after the Q taping in Los Angeles) that the truest thing he said in that interview was when he told Leonard he was afraid of death.
Cate

Post by Cate »

I'm glad to see the interviews are still there. I think our culture of pretending uncomfortable events didn't happen needs to change. We had a lot of great discussion here after Jian was charged (that was good) but then there's that desire to erase him - okay everybody, let's collectively agree this person no longer exists ... well that feels better, it's my instinct as well, but I doubt that that's helpful.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Has to be said that it was Mr Ghomeshi's ' problems' that raised my awareness of him.
Until all this i was well aware of that good interview with Leonard a few years ago but wouldn't have been able to put a name to the interviewer!
I doubt he's well known outside of Canada ?
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “News”