Popular Problems cd

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
TonVH

Re: Popular Problems cd

Post by TonVH »

Is that € 15.99 including P&P? Then it's really cheap, can you give the URL?
leonardthecat

Post by leonardthecat »

The cd is available on Play.com for pre-order. £9.99 (free delivery within UK)
http://www.play.com/stores/basecom/listing/1035611747
rpan

Post by rpan »

This thread inspired me to shop around, well worth doing. I pre-ordered yesterday from WOW HD for €8.49, free delivery in Ireland, today they have it at €9.99, so that must have been time limited offer. Not used before, we will see...
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
TonVH

Post by TonVH »

I also discovered WowHD but checked there track record in the Netherlands and that did to make me happy. Too there are problems, people having to pay extra taxes and more. So I decided not to order there.

But YMMV.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I've been away for a week or so, and have only just heard "Almost Like the Blues". I like it a lot, and look forward to hearing the rest of the album. I also like the cover, and have embraced the title, now. It's slightly disappointing that the album will only be 35 minutes long, but maybe "Feels So Good" and "I've Got a Little Secret" don't fit into the album, or maybe Leonard has moved-on from the feelings that inspired those songs. I particularly look forward to hearing the album version of "Born in Chains".

It seems that a lot of people here seemed concerned about the price, but what the heck?...it's a new Leonard Cohen album! It's only about a tenner, so I'll pick it up from Fopp when it's released. Better to buy it from your local record store than make the corporate giants even more filthy rich.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

John Etherington wrote:Better to buy it from your local record store than make the corporate giants even more filthy rich.
Love the sentiment John but not all of us live anywhere near a record store. It will cost me an extra £10-15 in parking and train fares to pick up a copy in person!

Wendy
TonVH

Post by TonVH »

In the place where I live there even is no more physical store. I would have to travel about 50 kilometers to find once.

And online is often cheaper and easier and delivered on the same day.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The CD is now available on Amazon UK for £9.82. Auto-rip is also available so you can still hear the CD if it's delayed in the post!

Wendy
martali

Post by martali »

:!:

"Popular Problems" - CD pre-ordering available at Polish Empik store (release 23-09-2014) :D
as well as (from 7th of October) on vinyl accompanied by all material on CD

http://www.empik.com/popular-problems-c ... 6,muzyka-p
Donata

Post by Donata »

Unfortunately not, delivery charges are 3 € = 18,98 € in total.
harald

Post by harald »

John Etherington wrote:Better to buy it from your local record store than make the corporate giants even more filthy rich.
The album will be released soon. So the following weeks I will try and get my copy. No need to panic.

Only subject to solve. Will you help out, dear John – and excuse me?
Shall I buy from a filthy rich seller or a filthy poor seller?
Are all sellers filthy? Are all rich filthy?
Is it morally higher to be poor? Usually I have my problems with the moral majority. Then how can I get rich to become a member of the non-moral minority?
At loss for a solution I might even illegally copy the cd from a friend thus preventing Mr. Cohen from getting filthy rich. Or if Mr. Cohen was rich were his wealthiness pure then?

Ok, I had nothing to say.
I apology to everyone, for another superfluous post.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

John Etherington wrote: Better to buy it from your local record store.
I agree, John. I am lucky enough to be within 5 minutes walk of a still-functioning record shop.
I would like to see it stay open.
So I order whatever I can there.
I ask "Will you be getting LC's latest album? "
They say yes, I buy it there. (Usually several copies for gifts.)
Simple.
Cheaper online?
Possibly, but it is important for me to have a record shop nearby.Have spent a lot more anyway on LC concert tickets - don't regret it, worth every Euro!

I am glad of Amazon etc. for obscure stuff which is hard to find, but I always ask first locally.
Sad to see some people here don't have a local record store anymore. :(
Last edited by Athnuachan on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Rich or poor, this is subjective.

For example : poor does not mean necessarily indigent. That can mean someone who has everything in life, including all the necessary means to use the potential that is in every human beings, but does not live in lavish luxury.

Filthy, paradoxally, is extremely objective.

I guess that being filthy rich is when you consider that other being filthy poor is the only condition for you to be rich and that you don't care for the filth at all, as you consider it is the normal environment.

Now what is filth ?

Ah-ah!!!

The one million dollars question.

Answer this in the secrecy of your soul, people!

This said, I buy it at the local store. And I wait. Anticipation is a big part of the pleasure for me.

Thanks for this interesting superflous small talk. This is a luxury that no one can live without! :D
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Mabeanie1 wrote:The CD is now available on Amazon UK for £9.82. Auto-rip is also available so you can still hear the CD if it's delayed in the post!

Wendy
Now back up to 10.99 on amazon but reduced from 7.99 to 6.79 on WOW.
Oh well just a few pounds either way!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I was recently notified from Amazon that the vinyl album that I bought will not be delivered until early October. I will still buy the cd from the same record store, B Side Records, from which I have bought every album since 1979's "Various Positions."

I know that I have talked about this before, but the experience is now so different than in days of yore. Most of us had no idea of release dates etc. Since Leonard wasn't a top 40 guy, there was no radio promotion. Everytime I walked into a record store (as we called them in those days), I walked over to the aisle and looked up the "C's" for Cohen to check to see if there was a new album there. It always felt good to flip through the vinyl albums as they held a certain heft and an organized sensation rather like looking through a book. If there was a new Leonard album-it was like Christmas (maybe Hippie Christmas)! Once CD's became prominent, it was a jolting experience to flip through those bins with the scratchy, mule-like plastic jewel cases that didn't yield to the touch and made awful plastic sounds as one moved among them.

I'm nostalgic for 1979. A co-worker told me about this great record store, B Side, on State Street. Anne & I had a little infant daughter in intensive-care that we doted on and spent as much time with as possible. My one break came when I decided to leave work early one day and go to State Street prior to visiting our daughter. At B Side, they had Various Positions on display in a prominent position. I was so happy-I immediately grabbed it and walked to the register where the young man (much younger than me-even in my younger days) said, "Oh, that's a really good album-but very different-it might take some getting use to." I didn't tell him I was a Leonard Cohen veteran. I will say that it was the first Leonard album that I actually didn't need to get used to. It is still one of my favorites.

So anyway, I live in anticipation of this new album. I will read every review; I will resist any prior streaming so that I can listen in my private space with, perhaps, a glass of red wine. Enjoy this, as we haven't been able to experience this very often in our lives.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”