"Popular Problems" - the next LC album

This section is dedicated to the new studio album and the Dublin concert video
Goldin

Re: "Popular Problems" - the next LC album (late September 2

Post by Goldin »

French Amazon gives the same date, September 22 (proof: Heck Of A Guy).
Doris

Post by Doris »

Amazon Germany tells also the 22th September as release date.
This news make me so happy.
Thank you Leonard for this wonderful birthday gift that you give to us.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Unlike (sic!) both Amazon.FR and Amazon.DE, the Dutch seller promises us a double disc vinyl (2 platen): http://www.bol.com/nl/p/popular-problem ... 031627520/

Looks like a mistake though: even The Future (almost an hour long) is pressing as a single disc LP :?
Doris

Post by Doris »

Goldin, amazon.de tells the following, like I understand it. Popular Problems is available from 22th september on as 1 Audio CD and 1 Vinyl LP. For both options they write at number of discs 1. Hard to wait.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Yes, Doris, you're right. But I'm talking about the vinyl itself.

Look: Live in London is a 3-LP set (link, although it's clear without any proof: that's a complete Leonard Cohen concert!) -
and bol.com sells Live in London as "3 platen".

Then, live compilations (Field Commander Cohen, Songs from the Road, both 60+ minutes) are "2 platen".

Old Ideas (LP+CD) - that's how they title this item - is "1 plaat".

But Popular Problems... "2 platen".

I believe this is a mistake. But I found it remarkable enough to mention here.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Goldin wrote:Firstly I've thought: is it Leonard Cohen's turn to make the White or Black Album, after The Beatles and Metallica (and The Simpsons with their The Yellow Album)? Then I saved the image to my PC and learned it's just leonard-cohen-popular-problems-2014-album-not-final-artwork.jpg
leonard-cohen-popular-problems-2014-album-not-final-artwork.jpg
My oh my, Roman. Just yesterday, I remembered an interview where Leonard said he likes neutral titles (like Songs of LC, Ten New Songs, Recent Songs), & he said he might call his next album "Songs in English" (lol!). And I thought, maybe Leonard would like to make an album & give it no title at all (I think that would be great) - & I had 2 possible images for the cover - one was maybe just a circle with empty space & his name above or underneath, & the other image I had in mind was exactly the image you saved to your pc, & that is shown in the link you gave!! So I just had to share that interesting bit of cosmic convergence.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Yeah! I like this style too.

Back to the mystery of the second LP: http://www.imusic.dk/lp/0888750142917/l ... s-lp-vinyl

Units: 2 LP (LP VINYL)
Weight (estimated): 300 gram

Estimated weight of any other, ordinary studio album released as a single LP is 180 gram.
Doris

Post by Doris »

Perhaps the mysterious second LP is called "Songs in English" and has this black and white cover. :)
In any case: 1 new LP is fantastic, but if there were two,it would be almost unbearable. Oh, come on September.
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.
Bird off the Wire

Post by Bird off the Wire »

The talk is of a double LP - this may/probably translate to a single CD?
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LP_record#Playing_time

To make this more complicated: the Danes (those guys with a black cover) are sure it's just a 180 gr LP+CD.
Last edited by Goldin on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

If a double vinyl LP/ single cd it's probably a relatively long album .
Not long before we find out - will be a treat.
Wit,wisdom,and beauty to shed light on our popular problems.enlightenment by the end of september :razz:
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Uncut magazine has picked up on the news (and they even quote Jarkko!):

http://www.uncut.co.uk/leonard-cohen-to ... ember-news
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Surely, any sequel/second LP would be entitled Unpopular Solutions.....?
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Leonard Cohen to Release New Album For 80th Birthday Next Month
'Popular Problems' info unveiled at singer's Irish fan convention

By Andy Greene | August 11, 2014
Leonard Cohen will commemorate his 80th birthday next month by releasing a new LP entitled Popular Problems. While Cohen's representative could not confirm the album, word of the release dropped last week at Leonard Cohen Event 2014, an officially sanctioned fan convention held in Dublin. There's also a September 22nd release date for Popular Problems listed on Amazon France.

"Leonard has worked hard on his next studio album of entirely new songs," read a foreword to the event booklet written by Jarkko Arjatsalo, a finnish accountant that runs Cohen's official website and serves as a liaison between the singer and his fan community. "He asked me to let you know that Popular Problems will be out at the end of September, shortly after his 80th birthday."

In an e-mail to Rolling Stone, Arjatsalo confirmed the statement and said he received the information "directly from Leonard." When news hit Cohen's fan community, Arjatsalo posted to clarify Cohen's upcoming plans. "There are no tour plans!" he wrote. "We are now looking forward to a great new studio album."

Cohen publicly thanked Arjatsalo for his tireless work at a 2012 show in the webmeister's hometown of Helsinki. "There was someone from this town that began a website called The Leonard Cohen Files," he said. "Through his efforts, my work was kept alive for all these years. The man's name is Jarkko Arjatsalo. I want to thank him for the spectacular effort he's made on my behalf. I am deeply grateful."

Cohen's last album was 2012's Old Ideas, though in the year leading up to the album's release, the singer-songwriter unveiled new songs onstage that failed to make the album. "I rehearsed some other songs on the road – new songs that didn't make it onto the record," he told Rolling Stone in 2012. "So I have a new record [after this one], at least two-thirds of it, anyway."
Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... z3A65D2rqp

Note: my websites are not official, http://www.leonardcohen.com is
Rolling Stone asked me to confirm the quote from the Event information by email, and I did, after getting OK from Los Angeles.
Quote from the Helsinki concert has been googled by the editor of the magazine.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

NOW this is official: dozens of publications around the world, while a few hours ago there were just three of four articles, in Finnish and Canadian press.

Oh wait, it's not official yet. Should we expect a "press release announcing the press release announcement" (c) soon, Jarkko?

(By the way: Congrats on appearing in RS - well-deserved!)

Return to “2014 releases: Popular Problems & Live in Dublin”